Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, she arrived tonight.
Red of course 😁.

A lot ahead. Funny how things pop up as you start to disassemble.
Broken headlight bucket fairing stay.
Funky ass brake reservoir.
Crusty sprocket and chain.
No flippin’ oil cooler. Lol
Disconnected this and that.

The fuel tank is surprisingly good!
Inside and out.
Starts and runs, idles sloppy but hey…
Weird thing is the whole bike is stock as far as I can see. So that’s good. Except some chrome looking water pump cover.

Off to Fleabay…. lol

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Crankset Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gear Locking hubs

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood
Shelf Shelving Building Luggage and bags Retail

Product Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive tire Wheel

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
711 Posts
Following...I'm going through the same process with my 2002 748s that hasn't run in over 6 years, though my bike is in bit better shape than yours.

Reactions: Matteo66

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
doesn't look bad.
Corroded reservoir cap is std, you can buy a plastic brembo one now, that's what i have done....

No oil cooler is std, only the SP & R got the cooler in the 748's

Crusty chain, no biggie, you would lower the gearing significantly anyway....

broken headlight bucket fairing stay, easily replaced, can you get an aftermarket support for these that delete all that crap fro a race fairing? DB Holders maybe?

Leave the water pump cover on, (paint it black) good engine protection

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
doesn't look bad.
Corroded reservoir cap is std, you can buy a plastic brembo one now, that's what i have done....

No oil cooler is std, only the SP & R got the cooler in the 748's

Crusty chain, no biggie, you would lower the gearing significantly anyway....

broken headlight bucket fairing stay, easily replaced, can you get an aftermarket support for these that delete all that crap fro a race fairing? DB Holders maybe?

Leave the water pump cover on, (paint it black) good engine protection
I realized after doing much reading that the 2000 748e, which this is, didn't come with an oil cooler.
So that's good, one less thing to have to replace!

All of the street stuff is coming off anyway, lights and such, and a lot of the stock bits and pieces are getting replaced.
That headlight bucket looks like it weighs a ton anyway.
Was going for some Mad Hornets race fairings (when the time comes), but if I can find something to hold it up up top other than that bucket... that would be ideal.

I know the move is to go for some lightweight 5 spokes... but I really think I like the whole 916 look of the stock wheels and the way they match the frame.
I'm track daying it, not racing, so I'll probably leave them. Has a cool sort of retro look.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
All good advice, let me add a suggestion, looks like you have the big lead acid battery, ditch it for something smaller and lighter, lithium if you’re really feeling frisky (and not opposed to plugging it in in between track days), quickest, easiest, and cheapest ($ to lb) way to lose some weight.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good advice, let me add a suggestion, looks like you have the big lead acid battery, ditch it for something smaller and lighter, lithium if you’re really feeling frisky (and not opposed to plugging it in in between track days), quickest, easiest, and cheapest ($ to lb) way to lose some weight.
yes, thanks…. At 2am this is how the battery looked…. 😁
Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: RC713

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Don’t go too over board with flea bay. Prices have gone stupid on any Tamburini designed stuff.

Occasionally you find a good deal but quite a lot of stuff is still available from Ducati.

I just order new for most consumable stuff and use flea bay for the NLA stuff….and some of that is only NLA because the part number has changed several times.

Ducati Omaha has been my go to for anything OEM that I need. There’s lots out there in aftermarket stuff and I try to support vendors who are site sponsors first.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don’t go too over board with flea bay. Prices have gone stupid on any Tamburini designed stuff.

Occasionally you find a good deal but quite a lot of stuff is still available from Ducati.

I just order new for most consumable stuff and use flea bay for the NLA stuff….and some of that is only NLA because the part number has changed several times.

Ducati Omaha has been my go to for anything OEM that I need. There’s lots out there in aftermarket stuff and I try to support vendors who are site sponsors first.
I have been using Cross Country Cycle in NJ for some stuff. They have a great parts fiche on their site. And you’re right, the prices seem really good on the OEM consumable stuff. Plus’s it’s easy to order weird little things, like the pads on the shift and brake levers for example.

great point, the eBay prices are ridiculous, and you get clocked with shipping charges sometimes and it’s taxable too now…

Reactions: chris_f

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been using Cross Country Cycle in NJ for some stuff. They have a great parts fiche on their site. And you’re right, the prices seem really good on the OEM consumable stuff. Plus’s it’s easy to order weird little things, like the pads on the shift and brake levers for example.

great point, the eBay prices are ridiculous, and you get clocked with shipping charges sometimes and it’s taxable too now…
Good place to sell my takeoffs I guess… lol

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Cool, I’ll have to check out their site as well.

It’s just that I found the same as you, little weird things were going for double the OEM price sometimes.

For used stuff that in no way should be that much.

I don’t much care about the tax sitch as I gotta pay taxes anyway. Trying to avoid paying is more trouble than it’s worth.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dude! What's the history of this bike? Was it sitting in a lake for years???
I got it really cheap because the guy was using it as a boat anchor

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Making some good progress tonight…

the belts are surprisingly in good shape… like really good. Blow me down

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Bicycle part Font Auto part Metal

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Audio equipment Auto part Gas

·
Registered
711 Posts
Mine or yours?

I should replace them anyway I suppose? For the hundred bucks or whatever, probably a safe bet.
Without a doubt!!!! Belt failure would be catastrophic. The belts on my 748s also looked great but I changed them anyway because the peace of mind was worth it.

Reactions: Matteo66
1 - 20 of 51 Posts