Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,
I have a 2017 touring model that I purchased new back in august
I ran into some complications while trying to match the bike key to the top case that I had previously purchased for an older version of multistrada touring. Apparently a touring version is supposed to have an extra lock set in the tool bag for the optional top case. Mine didn’t have it. The dealer was helpful in getting me a whole new set of 3 for all the bags but it was not matching either. Couldn’t really find anybody knowledgeable enough to figure out how to get the new top case lock to match the bike key so I tried to do it myself.
Having an extra lock I decided to take it apart

By prying off the silver cap

Once open I removed the red dust tabs in the key slot to reveal a pin on the one side. By squeezing all the tabs on the drum the pin came out

At this point the tabs that were being squeezed are free to be extracted (they are spring-loaded).
There were 5 on the top and 3 on the bottom in my case. The last one in top is blank but all the other ones have a number on them

At this point I did the same for one of the locks that were on the panniers which matched the master key and recorder the sequence of numbers on the tabs top and bottom.
With the three extra locks that the dealer gave me I was able to replicate the sequence and match the top case lock to the motorcycle key.
Alternatively you can also insert the key and determine which tabs are goin flush on the drum when the key is inserted and change the ones that stick out.
I used a nail punch driver to clamp the silver cap back on the lock set.
I hope this helps someone as it was very frustrating to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just what I did. I would add though to do this inside a Tupperware box or similar as though pesky springs have a habit of flying through the air! The box ensures they are captured.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts