1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Great article, thanks. Loves the Ox

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Well done article. Makes more sense (a lot more sense) than most of the conjecture I've read around here. Like many of us, I got busted up while racing in various series (nearly two dozen broken bones ... five of them in one crash). It affects the way you look at things until you've fully healed ... even after you're healed. While I'm no MGP champion (nowhere even near it) I can understand what the article was saying, and where Lorenzo's head may be in all of this. It's also good to know that Honda is working on making the bike less about rear wheel steering and more about being able to cater to more riders.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah. I know the feeling because I lived it starting in 2014 when I went down hard enough while racing to break 9 bones in one crash. healed up, went down again in '15 and broke my arm - doesn't sound bad but it was a 140 mph crash that shattered it into spaghetti. It took physical therapy and 4 months to get use of my hand back and feeling is gone in my finger and thumb due to severing of the radial nerve in my arm.

Healed up again and raced in 2016 but I was a shell of my old self. I mentally lost it and was unable to compete. All that said I still had fun racing but I sure as hell wasn't taking home any trophies. I'd still be racing in all my slowness if I didn't finally quit for age and health reasons.

I feel for Lorenzo because it's his job where for guys like me it was just a fun hobby. I think the same thing basically took out Dani Pedrosa also. Crash hard enough and often enough and you are done mentally.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
Doohan didn't quit because he got bored winning either.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Well at least if Lorenzo decides to call it a day, he's not only sitting on millions but he's also still got a marketable persona ... but having been faced with the decision of admitting I've been beaten by something that I really did not want to give up fighting, I fully ~get~ not wanting to give in ..... I've lived by the motto in my signature for most of my life, and confronting the notion of saying ~uncle~ to a certain situation in my life was a certified mother fekker. I was luckily fully and completely redeemed in 2010 when my "foe" was beaten down HARD by the FBI and the California State Attorney General .... beaten down for good, and for ever, with me getting the well earned last laugh. Anyhow, I can understand Lorenzo's position fairly well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think Lo was trying for Honda at the first Valencia test, but the subsequent injuries made it difficult to live on the edge. The 'back breaker' had to have taken him down a notch and he was so far out of the points that I'm guessing that he's just doing what is necessary to meet contract requirements. I'm also guessing that he's hoping that he'll make another go at the championship next year when he's more healed.

JLo is not my favorite, but he's proven that he can go fast when ALL the conditions are right.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
With the present tyre supplier things are very rarely right and consistent so it takes a versatile, adaptable rider to win and JoLo isn't that rider.
Sorry Jorge but you have had your day and it's time to move along.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
With the present tyre supplier things are very rarely right and consistent so it takes a versatile, adaptable rider to win and JoLo isn't that rider.
Sorry Jorge but you have had your day and it's time to move along.
How long is the current tire supplier contracted to supply rubber for the MGP class?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts