Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Yesterday at the track I was accelerating through gears and at about 11000rpm my 2001 748 made a sudden noise that sounded like I drove over a soda can :eek: (that's what I heard from inside my helmet earplugs n'all) and from that moment on a very constant popping (like really lean fuel mixture) from the exhaust began. There was no apparent power loss at the moment, but I did took it easier for the next two laps before I pulled in.

Bike starts with a bit more difficulty than normal and can't hold its idle, If I crack open the throttle to steady idle it pops through the exhaust again... It revs up slightly less peppy, but revs do climb all the way even though it pops a lot. No apparent strange noises come from the engine other than the popping... No smoke either. The bike is completely stock (enginewise).

I will certainly appreciate your thoughts on the matter...

Thanks a lot, and regards from MEXICO!

Marcial

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
If you are extremely lucky your cambelt jumped 1 tooth and your cam timing is off but not enough to bend a valve.If you have luck like the rest of us it has probably jumped more than a tooth.It is time to check your cam timing and do a compression or leakdown test.Another possibility is the flywheel has come loose and the ign. timing is wonky but I'd check the cam stuff first.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I don't see how the motor could have slipped a tooth on the cam belt, that just doesn't happen without causing other issues. You can check it because its very easy to line up the dots on the cam's and the timing gear to make sure everything is ok.

Check the spark plugs, its a good way to confirm the bike is running properly by checking the color of them. For all you know, something came loose in the vacuum system and that would easily cause the bike to idle strange and make a pop. You've gotta check everything over, I'm sure after a thorough inspection, you'll see the problem.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
do a leakdown test on your engine and pay special attention to your valves

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for your time guys ;) !!! I wont be able to do anything till the weekend, but as soon as I find out, I will post again. I appreciate it!
Marcial

1 - 5 of 5 Posts