Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m never happy with rivet style master links. I think my method must not be correct. None of my older bikes have them, and I’ve never broken a clip type master link. Could someone explain the correct method for installing the rivet type master please ?

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Very good video, I will only add that there are many tools that do the same job. Buy a good one and it will last a lifetime of personal use.

At the dealership we used a ball peen hammer and an anvil, this takes more training and skill to use but worked just as well . I have a few tools I prefer to use now because when you use the tool it works slower but with more control. Look at the RK kit they sell replacement parts and I find very few chains it will not do, Note some chains are quad staked instead of a dimple in the end this requires a different attachment.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That’s exactl how I’m doing it but there is some cracking of the link pin end going on instead of the beautiful end in the video. Thanks, Yorik.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,233 Posts
If it cracked, that leads me to believe that the tool wasn't centered properly or it was over tightened. I've had that happen to me once and had to get a replacement master link.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Some times the ball end of the tool is too small and instead of flaring the end it goes too deep leading to the pin splitting, Make sure the end is a good size for the brand of link you are working with. This is why the RK set is nice I can replace worn out ends when they get to be used up.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I may get one to check out . If it looks good I’ll use it. It doesn’t really matter how the rivets get expanded as long as the results are good.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it cracked, that leads me to believe that the tool wasn't centered properly or it was over tightened. I've had that happen to me once and had to get a replacement master link.
You are right, Yorik, the tool is not staying centered, and the resulting end is unacceptable. I’ve tried a couple of different ball diameters and didn’t get good results.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I had issues with mine until I ponied up for a proper chain tool. The D.I.D. tool ain't cheap but it's worth the money

Reactions: DuckMan

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know, thanks , Dog.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,233 Posts
I know you guys are going to scoff, but I've got one of these. http://a.co/4l6QePB

I don't have to replace chains very often, but I've used it three times and it's still in as-new condition. I've seen some people say it's a one-use piece of equipment, but that hasn't been my experience. I just use it with care and make sure everything is aligned properly before tightening the wrench. YMMV.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a couple of cheap tools, but they seem decent. My problem appears to be that I’m not crushing the end evenly, even when I started with a smaller ball then moved to a larger one once I had a mushroom started. Part of the problem is my lack of experience doing this process, but it appears I’m doing it correctly. I can’t really blame it on the tool, it has all the plates etc.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I have a couple of cheap tools, but they seem decent. My problem appears to be that I’m not crushing the end evenly, even when I started with a smaller ball then moved to a larger one once I had a mushroom started. Part of the problem is my lack of experience doing this process, but it appears I’m doing it correctly. I can’t really blame it on the tool, it has all the plates etc.
Blame the tool. I had a similar issue with my cheap chain tool. If you are going to do this every blue moon then don't spend 100 bucks on a quality chain tool just pay a shop and be done with it. On the flip side don't expect to get good results with a cheap one.

There are certain tools in my collection I just don't cheap out on, micrometer, torque wrench and chain tools.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m getting old, and I don’t intend to do many more rivet chains, so I cheaped out. Sometimes that’s a mistake , I know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts