Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put 4P/2P Brembo Goldline calipers on the front and 2P/2P on the rear and have trawled through the forum for advise on MCs for the Brake and Clutch.

At the moment the standard items seem ok, anyone got any advise on whether I should leave them as they are, I know Brembo RCS MCs would be an improvement but how about 998 / 999 / 916s ?

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I'm in the process of putting on those calipers with a set of radial masters from an 848 I picked up on eBay. The RCS are likely better, but I got the pair of these for less than the cost of 1 RCS. This same style seems to be on most of the superbikes At least since the 999, as well as the streetfighter and possibly a couple other bikes.

Ran into a few challenges when mounting which may or may not also apply to the RCS. Fitting the brake side one has proved to be something of a challenge, as the banjo bolt sticks out downward, which will bump into the throttle cable guard unless you shift things around on the bar a bit. Another consideration is that you'll need to splice the connector from the stock microswitches onto the new ones, as they aren't the same. Finally, between the position of the banjo fitting on the calipers and the master, you'll almost certainly need to get custom lines. These arent impossible challenges by any means, but they were things i wasnt aware of going in.

I'll take some pics and post more when I am finished if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
+1 on everything greggers pointed out. I went that route last year with xx9 used pieces and did purchase custom lines.

They do work very well once installed, and ergonomically they're much better than the stockers. LOTS of power + better feel. Worth it? I don't know, but I like 'em.

My setup is Brembo 34/34 4P 4P calipers with 998S Brembo "thinline" rotors, Spiegler lines on brakes & clutch, xx9 MC for brakes & clutch, remote reservoirs, and Oberon clutch slave.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I have a pair of RCS MCs I have yet to install (have to get new wheels/tires first). They are amazingly smooth (dry fit) and I can't wait to try them out. An alternative to the RCSs is to source a set of 848/1098/1198 radial MCs. Similar advantages, but not adjustable like the RCS MCs (although my Ducati Performance guru said no one, except racers, adjust them after setup). Also, the 848/1098/1198 radial MCs have a reservoir bracket mounting screw, which the RCSs do not. Makes installing easier, but it's really up to your preference. For some reason I tend toward the road less travelled (aka: the hard way) as I find I learn more during the process. :D

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
365 Posts
I got Brembo 4P4Ps on mine with the stock MC and everything works fine and feels fine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys - I think I'll keep my eyes open for xx9s or 848s. See what comes up...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've got a set of xx9's with the attached reservoirs. If you get a set of these there is a bleed point inside the reservoir. It doubles as the reservoir mounting point. I've mentioned this because I don't think it is common knowledge, found out from my experience below.

I don't have a front lift or suitable place to hang a chain block so I had my new callipers fitted along with new Showa adjustable forks at a local small town bike mechanic I hadn't been to before, but who came highly recommended. When I picked up my bike the mechanic complained that it took him ages to bleed the new callipers, he whined that it took ages to get the fluid through from the MC. On my ride home I wasn't impressed with the sponginess of the brakes. So I decided to check the mechanic's work and, amongst other things, I found that he hadn't bled the MC from the bleed point inside the reservoir.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that pearl of wisdom Doug, that's the fantastic thing about this forum, guys are so willing to share their experience and knowledge.

As many I've had problems bleeding the clutch although I've now found and great tool from Gunsons. It's a bottle you fill with hyd oil and connect to a nipple, a second pipe connect to a tyre valve, open the nipple and the oil flows through the system pressurised by the tyre pressure, simple. I've added a bleed nipple to the clutch mc to allow me to bleed it out in this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts