Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Monstaman and myself took apart my Marzocchi forks apart yesterday to install my new springs.
The first fork had 700mils of oil in it and the other had 640.:mad:
From what I understand is that the spec is 480mils.
What the fark is going on here Marzocchi?:confused:
Would be good if a few more people measured your fork oil as this is totaly unexceptable, Maybe S does stand for sucker!!:think:
There was also a big booger in one of the forks also:eek:maybe it fell out of one of the marzocchi tech's nose:alien:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Yeah, I'm disappointed in the Marzocchis!

They could be good forks but Ducati let itself down in this area by accepting a low standard spec.

There may be some light at the end of the tunnel as I have been liasing with Marzocchi USA and the factory recently and have been pleased with the responce. Apparently Marzocchi has woken up to the fact a hell of a lot of folks are not happy with their Hypermotard forks and it is impacting on their brand identify. They told me they are working on an after market replacement cartridge/spring combo which will be tunable!

We wait with anticipation, not holding my breath!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm disappointed in the Marzocchis!

They could be good forks but Ducati let itself down in this area by accepting a low standard spec.

There may be some light at the end of the tunnel as I have been liasing with Marzocchi USA and the factory recently and have been pleased with the responce. Apparently Marzocchi has woken up to the fact a hell of a lot of folks are not happy with their Hypermotard forks and it is impacting on their brand identify. They told me they are working on an after market replacement cartridge/spring combo which will be tunable!

We wait with anticipation, not holding my breath!
The low spec maybe Ducati's fault but putting the wrong amount of oil in and not the same in each leg is Marzocchi's fault!
This is bullshit as far as im concerned.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It is bullshit, EVERYONE who bought an S has been fleeced.

My forks were shockers, stictiony and not fluid at all, the books says 480 mls and mine had 680 in one leg and about 650 in the other leg.

I would like if Marzshocking would step up and give us S inners but I can't see that happening.

To make a fork for an S model and produce this sort of substandard shit which is below a normal bike is just crap, in fact my DR650 std NON adjustable forks work better than the Marzshocking forks :mad:.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Has anyone done any mods?

Give us the low down on what was done and what the results were.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
The low spec maybe Ducati's fault but putting the wrong amount of oil in and not the same in each leg is Marzocchi's fault!
Is the oil put in by Marzocchi, or is it put in on assembly by Ducati? :confused:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Is the oil put in by Marzocchi, or is it put in on assembly by Ducati? :confused:
They are supplied to the factory complete and fluid "ready" to ft to the bike complete with triples.

Doon and I have fitted 5 mm linear rate springs which work 10 fold better than Marz spring, I have reduced my oil to 380 ml per leg.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Would you think that the 2009 front fork on the std (std has 50mm Marzocchi forks) would be okay? I'm going to get myself a 2009 std very shortly but a bit worried about this issue!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well Monstaman and myself took apart my Marzocchi forks apart yesterday to install my new springs.
The first fork had 700mils of oil in it and the other had 640.:mad:
Hey, where did you get your springs?
I have the standard Hyper, called Marzoc last year and they said they don't have any other springs for my forks, WTF??
I rode an S once and the suspension seemed better than mine - less harsh. So at least you have that :D
Thanks for posting on the fork oil level etc, I need to put lighter fluid in mine anyway :eek:

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
I lowered the oil level to minimum 140mm? (was max hight 4 both) to get the air spring to soften, spring adj had no effect on softening, 5 wt oil now too.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
They are supplied to the factory complete and fluid "ready" to ft to the bike complete with triples.

Doon and I have fitted 5 mm linear rate springs which work 10 fold better than Marz spring, I have reduced my oil to 380 ml per leg.
this is true ... complete front end sub-assemblies are received into the factory on pallets ... forks, wheels, tires, rotors, calipers, handlebars, controls, grips.

andi ... can you please post a complete list of the work you have done on your marz forks? i.e.:
  • XXX springs
  • XXX quantity of XXX weight, XXX brand fork oil
  • XXX turns out from "all in" on compression
  • XXX turns out from "all in" on rebound
  • XXX mm from top of fork leg body to top of top triple clamp
i am certain the above info compiled in one list will be of great value to all hypertard owners.

·
Registered
592 Posts
i did the 480ml? (book) level and the forks would bottom out way too easy with a big crunch. went back to 550ml of 5w oil and the forks are pretty good now BUT.

I've ordered my racetech 25mm cartridges that should be getting made as we speak and should fix the problem for good. getting the shock revavled too for silky action.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
i did the 480ml? (book) level and the forks would bottom out way too easy with a big crunch. went back to 550ml of 5w oil and the forks are pretty good now BUT.

I've ordered my racetech 25mm cartridges that should be getting made as we speak and should fix the problem for good. getting the shock revavled too for silky action.
Who's doing those and what are they doing?

Sounds interesting!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
FWIW, some info I have been passed which seems to work.

Marzocchi quotes the spring rates @ 8.5 kg/mm. Quite soft.

The 'fixed' COMP stack is very restrictive to control the dive on the 'soft' spring and the 'fixed' rebound stack is 'high flow' to allow the 'soft' spring to extend.

The best fix I have seen so far:

9.5 - 10.5 kg/mm Spring Rate (Depending on rider weight and aggression)
500-550ml of 3-5wt oil
COMP 2.5 -3 Turns 'OUT'
REBOUND 0.5 -1 Turn 'OUT'
PRELOAD 1-1.5 Turns from fully relaxed (Match Spring Rate to achieve 25 -30mm SAG)

Somewhere in there is a solution that should be acceptable for most!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm pretty light and the spring is still soft, the fork is ok for normal riding, front 'sag' is not achieveable so the front is set so it is balanced compared to the back. its great until you push it and then it just collapses and you're in all sorts of problems. If i add any more compression damping the thing gets into a bit of a hydro lock and just locks up under the normal use. same with rebound.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Nice getting the kit but we have bought the S and paid for the better forks supposedly. I am finding it hard to justify the extra for fork inners after convincing my wife the S was the way to go.

It is bullshit that we should even have to consider doing this to get the forks back a par with others!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
but you do get blingo DLC coating and goldness fork legs. but yeah its a bit below the belt. I always assume OEM suspension to be very sub standard even on a bike that comes with ohlins forks, they are not the same as you get if you buy them from Ohlins.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
After reading all this crap i am glad i did not buy a S model
My std forks work pretty damn good ...ha

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
im getn suspension done as i speak the place thats doing it for me is puting new springs in forks and also new spring in rear.he sent the shock back to ohlins for a warranty issue with a plastic or nylon nut on threads of rear shock anyone hear of this?i guess it strips out easily.not sure what springs and valving they are doing in front but when i get more info i will post.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts