Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

read a few threads about altering these..as an ignoramous..can you let me know what is so wrong with them?

Ta

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Basically there have been WAY different oil levels compared to what the book and Ducati quotes, the cartridges are below par for a basic model let alone an S model.

In essense as far as an S goes it stands for sucker that all of us are for putting up with them.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Maybe I was lucky with my S, but the forks were fine for me. I never checked fluid level or anything - just rode and enjoyed it. I was able to ride respectable times in the advanced group with no issues so I can't imagine how these forks are causing so many people issues at street speeds!?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Though they could have a bit better action, they are not terrible by any means (at least on my bike). I do track days and canyons and can keep a good pace without feeling the forks are what is holding me back from doing faster lap times. They work decent... just get a basic set up from a shop and ride.

Don't get caught up in the "I need perfect suspension" thinking. These bikes are very good as they sit. A good example is Alex whose forks are way undersprung for his wieght ... yet he rips it up around the track with preload cranked to full and still a mushy front end...

On the other hand if your looking for a smooth ride over very rough roads, the stock suspension is harsh.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I can't imagine how these forks are causing so many people issues at street speeds!?
Trouble is our streets are covered in pot holes, ledges and steps etc, my forks are worse than Doons and were very stictiony, after 10800, a few oil changes, lighter springs and the addition of very slippery stuff they aren't too bad and now at least they are moving whereas prior when they were stock the front would pogo along the road with the tyre casing doing the work.

On the other hand if your looking for a smooth ride over very rough roads, the stock suspension is harsh.
And that is half our issues, with abrupt changes in surface here suspension that works is essential, on the track the forks were fine but that is smooth and even.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Maybe I was lucky with my S, but the forks were fine for me. I never checked fluid level or anything - just rode and enjoyed it. I was able to ride respectable times in the advanced group with no issues so I can't imagine how these forks are causing so many people issues at street speeds!?
Me too. After the first 150 miles or so of break-in, the forks have been very
good. One of the things that impressed me on my first demo ride of the Hyper S
was the feel of the suspension. And the forks work much better over rough
roads than most of the sport bikes' forks I ride with. Plus, about the only time
I bottom out is when carelessly dropping a big wheelie... but now that I've
dialed in a little more compression damping, even that's not a big issue. If
I find the bike pitching forward on a track day it is because I was not being
smooth on the brakes or the throttle. Overall, compared with other street
bike forks, I'd give them a B or B+. OK, they're not high-end Ohlins forks, but
they're not $4700, either. It does seem in the Hyper S price range a set of
genuine cartridge damping innards would be in order.

I realize I might have 'got lucky' with the forks as far as the spring rates are
concerned (good for my weight-- 178 lbs/no gear), and not having the stiction
problems Monstaman had. Haven't checked the oil level either. :cool: But
then with some fork designs, oil level is not as critical as other factors such
as the viscosity of the fluid itself-- as long as you have some minimum volume
of fork oil. Raising the fluid level decreases the volume of trapped air in the
forks, which has a subtle effect on the feel of the front end. The air trapped
at the top of the forks acts as a spring as the air is compressed and "assists"
the steel springs. So, the smaller the gap the greater the assist.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hi guys

read a few threads about altering these..as an ignoramous..can you let me know what is so wrong with them?

Ta
Well after owning a 2002 800sie monster, 2002 s4 monster, 1998 748sps,2008 848 and now the hyper 08 s, the hyper has to be the worst front end of all the Ducati's I have owned.
They are built cheap! As stated before the progressive spring with piss poor adjustment , incorrect fluid levels amount to a sub standard product.
This is the only Ducati I have had to respring and check fluid levels to get it to handle with some degree of normality.
Zoke should step up to the plate and offer a fix for the shit they have put in these forks FOR FREE.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have not heard a complain about the none S front forks. Aren't they the same as the S?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm gonna have to chime in here as well. I've been reading all of these posts about these Hyper S forks being junk, and I just don't get it.

I live on a small horse ranch out in the country off of 3 miles of sometimes very harsh gravel roads. So, I'm 3 miles of these roads before I get to pavement. I'm 44, and I've owned numerous Japanese race replicas of all brands, numerous vintage Triumphs, BSA's, Harleys, lots of hot rod Sportsters, and some exotic flattrack race bikes with competition front ends (Betor and Ceriani) and adjustable triple trees. I also have a 2003 Yamaha YZ450F (one of many motocross bikes I've owned) and I do a lot of off road riding.

My Hyper S sees alot of gravel roads as well as a lot of urban work in the Kansas City metropolitan area, and even occasionally goes completely off-road around my ranch (read the thread rounding up horses with a duck.)

During the winters here in the midwest, they throw lots of salt onto the roads, which means potholes all spring and summer. Our roads are crap most of the year, and I have absolutely no complaints with this front end. Granted, I'm not taking it to any race tracks, but for the variety of day to day riding I do, it performs as well or better than any other fork I've had on any other road bike.

I don't know if it's the overall geometry of the bike, or the fact that some riders are expecting a 1098 experience, or what. But to me, the Hyper S feels and performs exactly as it is marketed, like a big, powerful, Supermoto, and the suspension is definitely up to any task I throw at it.

My very first thought the very first time I rode this bike was that I was impressed with how well the front end soaked up the harsh stuff. I'm 5'10 and weigh 185 and haven't had a reason to even tweak the front end from the stock settings.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Granted, we all prefer different suspension settings which is why Rossi's setting don't work for Edwards. And, while I do not want to dismiss Monstaman's woes, for me, outside a 2003 CBR600RR, the Hyper's forks are the best oem forks I have ever sampled! They do what I ask of them and never complain, unlike so many women in my life!:confused: I have been to several track days with the Hyper and trust me its not the forks that are holding me back. I even got bumped to the next group riding the Hyper. Is the Hyper perfect? No. But, seriously what motorcycle is perfect out of the box for every perspective buyer in the world?

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
I own a standard, from what I've read here the difference is gold anodized stanchions, DLC on the sliders, click adjusters, and different fork caps that require a pin wrench, same internals.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Maybe I got lucky as part of the first batch of the initial Hypermotard, but I have no complaints with my Marzochi forks at all. In fact I initially made no changes to the front and back suspensions, and it was working well stock, maybe because I was in the range of the typical Ducati rider default setup (I am I am 5' 11" for 175 pounds).

At the last Ducati day almost a year ago, I had Lindermann http://le-suspension.com tune up my suspension. I thought he went pretty fast for the job but I guess he knows what he is doing, he measured the sag, etc. He ending up doing pretty much nothing on the rear Olhins (perhaps he was afraid of messing up with the nylon ring ;-) but spent most of his time on the fork and adjusted pretty much everything (preload, rebound). I could say the bike handled better, but it was no drama as it was already good. I think I gained more trust when I added the Kyle Racing Ohlins Steering Damper a month later which allowed me to push the front more on our goat trail switch backs. I also think that using the Bridgstones BT016 helped too. Last weekend when Bill and I looked at my tires, we noticed that I could see pretty much all of it on the road, especially compared to his front tire and Bill is a better rider than I am.

Overall, I am very happy with the Marzochi fork and Brembo brakes of the Hypermotard S. Now, I don't do track days, but I do only goat trails that destroy my tires pretty evenly between 1200 and 1500 miles. Well, my Husky 610 is also Marzochi/Brembo combo and it works very well, I am even happy with the Marzochi on my bicycle!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great replies

as always guys..mine is ok..but seems a bit fluffy at the front when extended in a bend..between gas off and gas on...so I'm thinking of letting these guys http://www.maxton.netspinners.co.uk/ have a go at it over the winter..will let you know what they say..

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm not doubting our fella riders either, but I also wonder if it is our weight that is helping us. I am also in the 175 to 180 range in street clothes. My tech asked my weight to tweak on mine before delivery but I am not sure what he actually did. All I have done is come off the compression a little because it was a little stiff on the rough stuff up front. It does well now but the bike also felt a lot better when I added the scotts sub mount rotary stabilizer. I am sure it could be a lot better but I am not ready to pop down 1200 on a set of cartridges yet. Sorry to hear others are having such issues.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
as a newbie hyper owner, with very smooth GA mountain roads, my only complaint is excessive dive under braking. I am still learning to be smooth with my hyper, but unless I'm VERY smooth, the front keeps lifting and sinking. I'm 175lb (naked :D) but ducshop said they might get me a stiffer rear spring. Not sure if this is solution, but overall I'm happy with this suspension.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts