Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I started out thinking it will be a simple rebuild of my forks to stop the oil gushing from them. All part of the rebuild process so no problem so far.

Searched the Haynes manual and the factory manual to confirm what my model came out with. Acording to everything I can find I should have non-adjustable Marzocchi USDs but mine has blue adjusters for compression and preload on them, top nut is 37mm, they have never been changed, somehow doubt they have ever even been rebuilt and I can't tell you much more then that.

Are these Marzocchi and how do I tell? I have searched the forums and am just getting more and more confused as it sems that there is no consistency to what chassis numbers came with what.

I want to make sure that I have the right seals and that the oil capacity is right as Haynes quote 390cc for my chassis number (015***) for non-adjustable and 440ml for the 98 model (mine was built second half of 97) again non-adjustable with the only adjustable one they quote (and dont define if it's Showa or Marzocchi) for monsters being 531cc.

any info would be a great help.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Aren't the forks stamped down on the lowers? I know Showa's are down on inside.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cant find anything so far. Can see a few letters in that area but nothing that says Showa or Marzocchi. It might have been a euro or Aussie spec thing but when I contacted Ducati they didn't know and had no records of what was fitted to my bike. Will keep searching and let you know what I can find.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's been a while since I first posted the question. Life and parts hunting have gotten in the way of the rebuild. Most other jobs have been done but trying to find a way to get the front end up on the air has been a challenge. No one has front end lifts for sale in the UAE and just could not afford the $150 shipping price + cost of the stand to get one here from the US. After a bit if head scratching and muscle power from some friends we have got her supported on axel stands and a bit of 2x2" through the frame. Dodgy as all buggery but needs must.

After all that back to the original question. The forks are off and they are not Showa. No stamps or anything anywhere to indicate that. Checked with the head mechanic at the dealer who has had about 20 years with Ducati and he has confirmed they are Marzocchi. Apparently they came out on the 900s in Europe (middle east falls under the European area for sales) and AUS. I can't find any rebuild information on them so I have left them at the dealer for the rebuild.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts