Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope Spagnolo sees this, I notified the others that the memorial ride for Martin Wong has been postponed (but not forgotten) for a couple reasons. One is the questionable street conditions above Georgetown. We had a massive downpour where I live last night and I'm sure it was that way up at Wentworth Springs. Even though the weather looks good for tomorrow, I'm sure the roadway at altitude is still damp and riding in those conditions has never been predictable. The more important reason for cancelling is the fact Motowheels is organizing their own memorial ride, I learned this from Matt when I called him earlier this week to ask for a plug for our own ride. I figured maybe it's best to just pass on tomorrow and show up for the Motowheels memorial ride instead.

No doubt when this happens we will be notified. Matt also told me a little history about Martin's situation, starting with him suffering a stroke in 2016. He was away from work for about a month and when he decided he was fit to return the employees organized a dinner. Matt indicated he was seated in the restaurant when Martin walked in and was surprised how well Martin looked with no sign whatsoever of having a stroke. Because of the stroke episode Martin made some lifestyle changes and that included exercising more. He would routinely go out on his mountain bike using nearby trails. He would be out for a period of time, but one day he didn't return so his wife became concerned and called Motowheels, thinking he might be there. Once notified by Martin's wife that he was long overdue from his ride, Matt decided to head out with another employee to the trails, he was familiar with the area since he has accompanied Martin on rides previously. However, before he got there I believe Martin's oldest son called Matt and told him Martin was in the hospital. About 10-15 minutes passed Matt got another phone call from Martin's son who advised Martin had passed.

From what Matt was able to reconstruct, Martin apparently had another stroke, this one much worst than the first. Unfortunately, Martin layed there for approximately two hours before someone came by and notified the authorities. There was nothing anyone could do because the time lapse from the onset to finding him was too great. I know there are medicines available that can work wonders with stroke victims, but time of intervention is critical.

We will wait for Motowheels to post up their memorial ride event and the opportunity to show our respect for Martin's work, his caring of his family and for being a good person. RIP Martin

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Motowheels memorial ride

Any idea when the ride might be rescheduled?
I deferred our smaller group ride for the one that Motowheels is planning. I see nothing is yet posted on this No. Cal. section, so I'll check the Motowheels website and see if there are any updates. The seasons are changing quickly so if they are going to do something I hope it's soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Martin Wong

I feel like such a dope, but I just learned from your post, that Martin died. This is truly heartbreaking. I retired at the end of August & have been so busy wrapping up my business affairs that I didn't hear about Martin. I knew him & Susan well & wanted to invite them to dinner with my wife. I've ridden many times with Martin. They owned a Mercedes-Benz which I serviced at my shop. The weather really sucks now for a ride, but I certainly hope all his friends can have a remembrance for Martin. :crying:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does anyone know if the ride is still in the planning stages? I just checked Motowheels' website, but there doesn't seem to be any indication of a memorial ride for Martin.

I wish Martin was still here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts