Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pol espargaro is set to replace Alex Marquez in the Repsol Honda team next year......

MotoGP hasn't raced one lap in anger yet and he's already been punted..... Apparently he will get full HRC support in LCR which means either Crutchlow or Nakagami will go. Given Crutchlow has the factory bike, and they don't want Taka to have one it will be Crutchlow to be the one to go. He was talking about retiring anyway......

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,331 Posts
What is the source of the info?
Media speculation for the sake of something to write, inside info or team reality?

Reactions: cb4265

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Well that was a surprise. I like Paul Espargaro on the KTM and will be sad to see him off of it for KTM's sake. That said I wish him well with the evil empire I hope there can be some competition at the top again. Alex certainly is a good rider but putting him in that seat was all about PR as he has not yet shown he can run with the big boys. Sad part s if he does not get a competitive ride he may not get the chance. I liken him more to Tito Rabat who works really hard to get to mid pack for some reason.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I’ll going to hold out that this is rumor, once an HRC or MotoGP release comes out, OK, I’m there. Asphalt and Rubber has an article on it with some interesting points. There’s been like, what, 1 test weekend and you ditch the brother of your boy wonder? I don’t know, doesn’t pass my smell test. If true I’ll be like...Shazam!

·
Registered
1993 750SS
114 Posts
I thought this was just a rumor. Nothing definitive yet...hmmm 🤔

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
There’s a lot more smoke around this rumor, I’ll probably be eating my words in a month.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
New article on MotoMatters indicates it’s a done deal. Not by confirming that Pol is riding for Repsol but by confirming he’s out at KTM.
motomatters.com/analysis/2020/06/25/motogp_silly_season_update_ktm_confirms.html

Binder’s contract had a clause promoting him to the factory team his 2nd year.

Petrucci to Tech3 to team with Iker Lecuona.
Binder was already in the factory seat this year to replace Zarco, contract clause or not.

Olivera will be the new promotion to fill the seat that Espargaro is departing.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Not going to lie I was more excited to see Pol ride the Ktm and do well than ducati, not he rides for the evil empire I wish him well but secretly hopes he torpedoes Mark...lol.

I am expecting and hoping for a good continuation of Ktm's improvements with Binder and Olivera. This is the team I want to see win and if Petruci can beat ducati or two that would be icing on the cake. Hard to know what happened to him last year it seems as though after he won someone decided that would end his chances and he did poorly. I wonder if his fortunes would have been different if he chose not to win.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I listened to an interview Danilo did with some MotoGP commentators and that topic came up, about his win and rest of his season. He sounded pretty sincere that his head wasn’t in it as need be, he didn’t point to the bike or team being an issue with his performance.
I’m hoping Binder does the business, I liked his riding in Moto 3.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
For me Lecuona was the surprise of the season last year. He rode brilliantly on a bike the factory riders complained about from the get go. I don't know how he'll go on the factory MotoGP bike but I gotta feeling that once he adapts to it, he'll be far faster than anyone expects. Unless he tosses himself to the moon on the way to adapting. Then it'll be a crap shoot.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Time to dine on crow, press releases out today about Espargaro to Repsol Honda and A. Márquez to LCR, Crutchlow - thanks for your service and so on. Well now...:unsure:

·
Registered
1993 750SS
114 Posts
This is all part of NASA's plan. They hindered Ducati a bit by signing Lorenzo, and will do the same to KTM by poaching Espargaro.

Reactions: SP3

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is all part of NASA's plan. They hindered Ducati a bit by signing Lorenzo, and will do the same to KTM by poaching Espargaro.
Espargaro is a significant rider for KTM and should hopefully get some decent results on the new bike but Dani Pedrosa has developed the thing and made it so much better this year.

I wonder if Dovi not signing his Ducati offer could bite him, Now that the Petronas rides are tied up (Rossi & Morbidelli) and the factory yamahateam has Vinales and Quartararo there's one Jorge who may try and throw a low ball offer in to Ducati to try and get back on a bike......

·
Registered
1993 750SS
114 Posts
Espargaro is a significant rider for KTM and should hopefully get some decent results on the new bike but Dani Pedrosa has developed the thing and made it so much better this year.

I wonder if Dovi not signing his Ducati offer could bite him, Now that the Petronas rides are tied up (Rossi & Morbidelli) and the factory yamahateam has Vinales and Quartararo there's one Jorge who may try and throw a low ball offer in to Ducati to try and get back on a bike......
He really is. I know that DP helped move the project along in a very big way, but Pol has been instrumental in the development of that bike. It would be nice to see him get a few podiums this year.

Not sure what's up with Dovi. I think he's either burned out, or ready for a change. I could see Jorge throwing a wrench in the works so that he can race next year. Which might motivate Dovi to secure his spot. But I don't know. If he doesn't do well this year, being that it's such a short season, I can see him leaving Ducati.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts