Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A customer comes in with a flat on his 848. We remove the wheel weight and hit the spot with a little cleaner just like the thousands before this one, and this white spot comes up. It almost looks like there was duct tape covering the weight, but it belongs to a 100% street rider and there was no tape over the weight as it arrived at our shop. It is not rough or tacky, smooth just like the non effected area around it. Anyone see this before or have any ideas? Oh yeah - Ducati's response was to get a can of semi gloss grey or flat clear, which ever matched best. Kinda hard to bring ourselves to spray paint such a high dollar wheel

Has anyone encountered this?

Looking for advice or info on what this may be or may have caused this, as well as possible solutions for repair.

[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Is that the best they came up with ...Twats.

Typical shitester answer to save a few quid...Different when its going the other way into the duke piggy bank..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty much what we were thinking. We would hate to try to just cover up this blemish on such a high dollar rim.

Again, any input as to what may have caused it and a better way to repair this, outside of just replacing it, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Never seen that before on any of the Marchesini wheels through here. Is it a Marchesini or is it one of those other wheels that are on 848s now? They look the same but made by someone else, the name escapes me at the moment...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, pretty sure it's a Marchesini rim. The bike is an 08 and Ducati didn't change the rims to the Enki rims until 09 putting them on the 2010 models.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
If you used brake cleaner then that could cause that . I have seen it before. I wont use that nasty shit ever

WD40 removes ALL sticky stuff.

Try using some meguiars scratch remover & then buff up with meguiars tech wax

Failing that , Its respray the wheel i,m afraid or find a decent dent touch up lad to sort it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the advice. Will try to buff that out and see what happens. Hopefully when i post next it can be to say this all worked.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Oh yeah, the brake cleaner makes sense...Are there aftermarket lines on the bike? If another shop put lines on the bike and maybe dripped some brake fluid onto the wheel and didn't wipe it off right away, who knows...or maybe they used paint thinner to clean it up? Powdercoat is not solvent proof, paint thinner will eat it right up. Maybe some dripped on there and then it was "covered" by the wheel weight. One of my friends brought over a 999 once that didn't even have the rear caliper tightened. It actually fell off while riding the bike when the bolts slipped out. This is after a shop put a new rear brake line on. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
It looks like the clear coat on the rim has been damaged by something.
If its starting to flake you might not be able to do much about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts