Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, well i took a ride with my friend today as the temps are finally above freezing, and we had a great time. I let him ride the duc as it's the less valuble of the two, and I hopped on the VFR. Hope you enjoy the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Same here

Left work a bit early and took the ST3s out for a bit. Still too much sand around, but nice to be out for a bit. Got most of the SS together yesterday, so hopefully out on that soon too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Alright, well i took a ride with my friend today as the temps are finally above freezing, and we had a great time. I let him ride the duc as it's the less valuble of the two, and I hopped on the VFR. Hope you enjoy the pic.
I beg to differ on which is the most valuable ;)

Nice pic, looks cold!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, it wasn't too bad. It was around 50 degrees. It was amazing how many bikes were out with just a little thaw though. Btw, what do you guys think of the undertail exhaust I welded up for the SS?

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's the same here, as soon as the sun comes out you suddenly hear the place come alive with the sound of termi's, akra's, arrows etc :)

I noticed the exhaust, looks nice in the pic but would like a closer one if you have it so the details show. Where did you get the idea from? I know another forum member from the UK who has a custom undertail exhaust on his SS that's sweet ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's the same here, as soon as the sun comes out you suddenly hear the place come alive with the sound of termi's, akra's, arrows etc :)

I noticed the exhaust, looks nice in the pic but would like a closer one if you have it so the details show. Where did you get the idea from? I know another forum member from the UK who has a custom undertail exhaust on his SS that's sweet ;)

Here's another pic closer. Sorry the bike is so dirty. Riding in the sand and salt is not the best..... Anyway, I came up with the idea myself, as I did not like the HEAVY stock exhaust. Not to mention it was way too quiet, and after a tip over it was rashed. To build this, instead of buying mandrel bent tube like I should have (I'm cheap), I went to fleet farm and bought some generic exhaust tube for a couple of bucks, cut ten degree angles out of it, and welded them together to make the bends. Talk about time consuming!

I think it turned out nicely, but I'm going to remake it somewhere down the road and redo the headers as well so it can come up between the swingarm. I'm also going to ditch the $10 ebay can and make some slash cut tips exit out the side of a new tail I'm going to build. Should look good.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here's another pic closer. Sorry the bike is so dirty. Riding in the sand and salt is not the best..... Anyway, I came up with the idea myself, as I did not like the HEAVY stock exhaust. Not to mention it was way too quiet, and after a tip over it was rashed. To build this, instead of buying mandrel bent tube like I should have (I'm cheap), I went to fleet farm and bought some generic exhaust tube for a couple of bucks, cut ten degree angles out of it, and welded them together to make the bends. Talk about time consuming!

I think it turned out nicely, but I'm going to remake it somewhere down the road and redo the headers as well so it can come up between the swingarm. I'm also going to ditch the $10 ebay can and make some slash cut tips exit out the side of a new tail I'm going to build. Should look good.
Not bad for your own handywork! My only objection was the header outside the swingarm but it seems you've got that covered :)
After going through the whole build of the first one I'm sure it'll help you with your next one to be even better. You have some good ideas there ;)
I see you have the clear tail light, is it the one with the integrated blinkers? I'm ordering mine next week cos I hate that huge thing messing up the back of my bike (call me blinkers and number plate). Is that seat a corbin or sargent?
You peaked my interest with the new tail comment, what you got goin on over there? Nice to see people putting love into their bikes, I know I haven't stopped since I got mine!
Keep me posted on your projects, cool stuff!:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a red VFR800 just like the one in the photo. The VFR is a nice bike, but feels heavy in the twisties, is not that much more comfortable than my SS, and those high pipes would melt my TourMaster soft bags from time to time. The SS is lighter, which makes up for the 10 hp difference. They feel about the same torque wise, although the SS makes it sooner. The VFR has the VTEC system, which may or may not float your boat. Given the choice again, I would chose the SS over the VFR for those reasons above.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a red VFR800 just like the one in the photo. The VFR is a nice bike, but feels heavy in the twisties, is not that much more comfortable than my SS, and those high pipes would melt my TourMaster soft bags from time to time. The SS is lighter, which makes up for the 10 hp difference. They feel about the same torque wise, although the SS makes it sooner. The VFR has the VTEC system, which may or may not float your boat. Given the choice again, I would chose the SS over the VFR for those reasons above.
The VFR does feel a bit heavy compared to the SS, but as for being about the same comfort wise....are you kidding??? I rode the VFR to Virginia and back (3200 mi) and took it out to Sturgis a week later and had no traces of discomfort at all. The riding position is way more upright, and the windshield actually does something. Also, my SS is only a 750 so the power difference is significant as well. Alas, in the twisties, the SS owns all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about coming up and out the tail section like the desmoseducci. That would really be something.
That's the plan. I'm going to come out the right side of the tail with angled stainless tips. To make the tail, I'm going to use the stock pieces as molds, but add another section of fiberglass to the underside so the empty space where the current can is coming out is filled.

-Desmobabe
Yeah the tail light is the one with integrated blinkers. I think it really cleans up the back of the bike, not to mention that fun with the exhaust can be had once the ugly black scar is removed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts