Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea where I could find a map holder for the SF? I'd like to avoid the whole tank bag system. Just a map holder. Thx.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I'd love to find a tank bag that looked right. I bought an eclipse bag and a huge disappointment and had to modify to get it to mount in a safe way.

For maps and routes, I using the painters masking tape (it's not too sticky) and tape it to the tank. Not elegant but works. A map holder would be really nice.

Chris

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Would a navigator look gay on the SF?

·
Registered
328 Posts
nah a gps would be nice, i've always though of getting one and putting it on my bike, since I do a lot of long distance rides.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
How about an Aerostich with a map pocket in the leg?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I actually just got a Garmin Zumo 660 a couple weeks ago. It's fantastic. Daylight-readable large widescreen, glove-friendly touch-screen, motorcycle and car modes, rugged construction, and several other fancy features like bluetooth, which I haven't taken advantage of yet.

The mount that comes with the Zumo was a very pleasant surprise. I half expected that I would have to do something custom, but the mount kit includes a bracket that literally bolts directly to either one of the stock clutch or brake lever clamps on the handlebars. Very clean and very sturdy. It has a nice little cover to protect the electric contacts on the mount from the elements when you don't want to take the GPS with you. The toughest part of the install was finding a good ignition-switched power source to tap into - I used a red/white-striped wire coming directly out of the rear of the fuse box under the seat. Use the wiring diagram in the owners manual and a multimeter to verify that you have the right one. All other tap-able power sources appeared to be always-on. It also comes with a windshield mount for a car.

I think it looks good on the bike. Meshes well with the ultra-modern styling of the SF.

It comes with software you can use to plan out custom routes on your computer and transfer to/from the unit with a supplied USB cable.

There is one HUGE downside - the price. I searched around online a bit and found a decent deal.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
I actually just got a Garmin Zumo 660 ....
There is one HUGE downside - the price. I searched around online a bit and found a decent deal.

I'd freakin say!.. geez 800 dollars.. maybe 650 on a good deal? .. you gotta be REALLY scared of being lost a little to spend that much.
I shouldn't talk really because it's really up my ally as far as buying stuff goes.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'd freakin say!.. geez 800 dollars.. maybe 650 on a good deal? .. you gotta be REALLY scared of being lost a little to spend that much.
I shouldn't talk really because it's really up my ally as far as buying stuff goes.
Yeah, about $650 plus shipping is what I paid. Honestly, there is something to be said about fearing being lost. It's good to know how far away the nearest gas station is when you're up in the mountains or in the desert with no gas gauge on the bike.

It's funny, I had the same reaction to the price of the SF when I first saw it - "$19K!!! F THAT!!" - yet there it sits in my garage...

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I think it is because we are Techno-whoes!

I love gizmo's too!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Would a navigator look gay on the SF?"

Honestly, there is something to be said about fearing being lost. It's good to know how far away the nearest gas station is when you're up in the mountains or in the desert with no gas gauge on the bike.
That's definitely gay!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a garmin 265WT. Works great, runs around $250. It's not waterproof, but don't plan on using it the rain.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
We dont bother

If you dont know where your going then you can never be late & never get lost

SIMPLES...........

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
So.... How about a map holder now?
,, pocket. right side. or left if it's full of other stuff like lube. :D

http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superstore.com/motorcycle/Map Holder

We dont bother

If you dont know where your going then you can never be late & never get lost

SIMPLES...........
I second that thought

besides reading a map while riding is just as bad as texting while driving. the redeeming quality of gps units are the voice cues.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use an OGIO Mini tank bag with the sides cut off. The bag detaches from the base with a zipper and the base is a map holder. The bag has a map holder on its top as well so you can slide your map in the either holder or bag as you wish. I found that the bag is small enough to not interfere with riding at all and it doesn't look bad either. I will have to post a pic sometime.
I think there's a Ducati-branded mini tank bag available as well but it's like $250, I paid $40 for mine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts