Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that some of you are running one. I'd like to use one for my ST4S when commuting here in the summer (90-100 deg. F ambient, hotter on tarmac in traffic).

Recommendations for mounting and connection points would be good.. I'd also like to use a bright LED to remind me it's on after I clear the stop and go stuff.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, just what I was looking for.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm confused. Why do you need a manual override switch for the fan? Doesn't the fan turn on automatically when the water temp gets too high, and turn off again when the water temp cools off? Why un-automate this???

·
Registered
286 Posts
RickD said:
Read the thread from the "Archives" posted above, it's explained in there.
Actually, the archives do not answer my question. I understand that flipping on the auxiliary switch overrides the thermostat switch; cooling the bike's water. My question is why is this necessary? Does the thermostat switch kick in too late? Does the thermostat switch cycle on/off too often? Does it not stay on long enough?

The fact that you want an auxiliary switch tells me that there is something faulty with the thermostat, thermostat switch, or temp switching logic from Ducati. I'm trying to understand what you all feel is wrong/faulty.

·
Registered
424 Posts
From the thread:

"This modification allows you to turn your fan on manually.
If you don't turn the fan on with the new switch, it will go
on in the normal fashion when it reaches the pre-determined temperature."

The switch does not eliminate the automatic functioning of the thermostatic switch.
It is to supplement it, when stopped in traffic for long periods of time,
the fan can be run constantly to keep the bike running cooler.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think Badger understands that. What he's not seeing (and neither am I, now that he brought it to my attention) is "WHY" would you ever want to turn the fan on manually?

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you cut the fan in earlier it will be more effective in keeping the temp down for longer. If the fan cuts in at 212 automaticall by itself, but you pull it in at 190 instead, it is going to keep it lower for longer. Does this mean that the design by Ducati to have the fan come in at 212 degrees is poor? That is another discussion.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thermodynamic's and engine operating temps..

By turning the fans on earlier, the engine will not heat up as quickly to the temp at which the fans would kick in automatically.. Most engineers would like to keep the engine operatiing at no more than 190 -200, less wear due to thermo stress. Remember the fans are only there for when there's no natual air flow across the radiator.

If I could access the PC, I'd reprogram it to come on sooner.. That's what dyno tuner's usually do with my Mustang's so the low speed fan comes in a little earlier..We also have a manual overirde for yellow flags conditions. Since I cannot access the Duc's ECM, a manual override will work..

·
Registered
286 Posts
vincep said:
If you cut the fan in earlier it will be more effective in keeping the temp down for longer. If the fan cuts in at 212 automaticall by itself, but you pull it in at 190 instead, it is going to keep it lower for longer.
flynfink said:
thermodynamic's and engine operating temps..

By turning the fans on earlier, the engine will not heat up as quickly to the temp at which the fans would kick in automatically.. Most engineers would like to keep the engine operatiing at no more than 190 -200, less wear due to thermo stress.
Thank you, boys. Those are the kind of answers I was looking for. As I only have has my ST4s since last Aug, I am not totally familier with all of it's characteristics; i.e. when the fans kick in. Selecting the set point of boiling water for the fans to turn on does seem a bit high, but I have to believe the Ducati engineers had a good reason for it. Then again, they're Italian. Never mind that last comment... ;)

·
Registered
602 Posts
860GT said:
Desmo Times has more efficient fan blades available, along with the switch kits.
+1, I bought just the fan blade (I haven't installed it yet though).

Here's the link to the Desmo Times high velocity fan kit with a manual override switch. It fits all the ST models, 748-998, and 907ie.

http://70.103.140.106/~desmotim/product74.htm

As prior mentioned, you can also buy just the fan blade without the override switch wiring.

http://70.103.140.106/~desmotim/product81.htm

·
Registered
648 Posts
RickD said:
There is something that concerns me about this mod. The thermoswitch is used as sensor by the ECU to determine engine temperature. This affects fueling at low ambient temperature as well as turning on the fan when the ECU decides the engine is too warm.
By shorting the sensor to ground the ECU is being fooled into thinking the engine way too hat and turns the fan on. I would think, although I may be wrong, that the turning the switch on at low ambient temperature, perhaps accidentally, will have an adverse effect on the fueling, casuing the engine to run much too lean. I also doubt very much whether the ECU is intended to have one of it's inputs shorted to ground but that safety margin may be built in to it.
If you need to have a manual fan switch I think it would be better to connect the switch to the green/black wire of the fan relay.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
But you must understand that it is NOT being set to the point of boiling water. Boiling is much higher in a pressurized system! My bike has been to...according to the guage...+248F without apparent problems. The latter was in Laguna race traffic this last summer when it was +103F in the shade.

Badger_WI said:
Thank you, boys. Those are the kind of answers I was looking for. As I only have has my ST4s since last Aug, I am not totally familier with all of it's characteristics; i.e. when the fans kick in. Selecting the set point of boiling water for the fans to turn on does seem a bit high, but I have to believe the Ducati engineers had a good reason for it. Then again, they're Italian. Never mind that last comment... ;)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
turn1 said:
Anyone knows how to do this mod on a 998?
Buckelew posted the technicque for a 748. Wouldn't this be 99% of what you need for your 998 ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.