Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I went to high school in Lewiston and worked in the paper mill summers between my college years at WSU (Go Cougs!). I envied you guys who lived "up the hill" in cooler places like Couer d'Alene and Moscow.
I never complained about the winters as I loved skiing at Schweitzer and Jackass.
Schweitzer and Silver Mountain were indeed my 2 favorite skiing resorts!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I have lived in many places over the past 70 years where summers were hot and humid or just plain hot. My two favorite places were neither: Monterey,CA and Edmonds, WA, where I have lived for nearly 30 years. Our dark, gloomy winters up here in the Puget Sound Region are the price we pay for having pleasant summers.
I spent two years in Bellevue and Redmond.....worst two years of my life lol. The scenery is stunning but I would never consider living up there again. It's too much like Sweden with shittier weather :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Couldn't get further north than Frisco, and even that was just hateful weather! the non-stop fog from June - early Sept and rainy season from Nov-April. Moved to the Oakland hills, which helped the fog. a bit. People love it, but don't ask me how? My poor Bangkok girl wore a wool ski cap year-round, absolutely hated it!

·
Still needs a life.
12,488 Posts
I spent two years in Bellevue and Redmond.....worst two years of my life lol. The scenery is stunning but I would never consider living up there again. It's too much like Sweden with shittier weather :)
I would not want to live in Bellevue or Redmond either, too far inland. Edmonds is on Puget Sound and I don't need air conditioning for the few "heat waves" we get every year. It is cool and raining as I type.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would not want to live in Bellevue or Redmond either, too far inland. Edmonds is on Puget Sound and I don't need air conditioning for the few "heat waves" we get every year. It is cool and raining as I type.
what's the weather like in the southern portion of the Sound, say Anderson Island? Looks nice. You cut me a deal?

·
Still needs a life.
12,488 Posts
what's the weather like in the southern portion of the Sound, say Anderson Island? Looks nice. You cut me a deal?
I cannot speak to that specific location, but temperatures and precipitation can vary a lot between cities in the Puget Sound Region. Much of that has to do with elevation, distance from the Sound or the Cascades, and the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains. Those towns that lie within the rain shadow get much less rain than towns just a few miles away that lie outside it.

I would not live on an island as you are dependent on a ferry to get off it. That can sometimes be inconvenient at best. Waits here in Edmonds for the Edmonds-Kingston ferry can be as long as two hours for a holiday weekend like this one.

The worst waits in the region are for the ferries serving the San Juan Islands. Some of them can be as long as eight hours. Fortunately, motorcycles can go to the head of the line except for the big weekend Oyster Run rally in Anacortes in the fall.

Here is one island in the south Sound that you definitely want to avoid. :eek:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Cold, rain, fog, ick.
Give me sunny and mild as per Standard Operating Procedure here.
OK, we also get too hot, but at least there is no snow. :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
That's too funny.....When I lived in Seattle I was working for a company that built live-fire tactical training facilities for Military and Law Enforcement. My main job was at the naval base (Kitsap) but I was asked to go to McNeil Island and sort out some issues with the facility we built for the prison guards. It was a very, very, weird and interesting day. The prison guard who was my guide for the day lived on the island with his wife and 3 kids. He had a 4 bedroom house on the island that he paid $85/month for lol. No boats allowed on the island - the ferry is the only way on or off. At least it was back in 05 when I was there.

·
Registered
805 Posts
That's too funny.....When I lived in Seattle I was working for a company that built live-fire tactical training facilities for Military and Law Enforcement. My main job was at the naval base (Kitsap) but I was asked to go to McNeil Island and sort out some issues with the facility we built for the prison guards. It was a very, very, weird and interesting day. The prison guard who was my guide for the day lived on the island with his wife and 3 kids. He had a 4 bedroom house on the island that he paid $85/month for lol. No boats allowed on the island - the ferry is the only way on or off. At least it was back in 05 when I was there.
Adaptation of a SF joke.. Whattya do if ya drop yer keys on McNeil Island? Ya kick them to the Sound then fish em out with a stick.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Probably a good idea lol I was on freakin' high alert the whole time I was there. They made me check in my sidearm on the ferry....felt a bit "naked", no pun intended :D

·
Registered
805 Posts
Probably a good idea lol I was on freakin' high alert the whole time I was there. They made me check in my sidearm on the ferry....felt a bit "naked", no pun intended :D
wow. place should have been combined with a tiger/cobra/gator farm. no grocery bill, just a fire hose to clean up once in a while.

·
Still needs a life.
12,488 Posts
Looks like they shut down the prison back in 2011....
According to the article, the state then purchased the property from the Feds and turned it into a permanent "residence" for sex offenders that were found to be too dangerous to be released back into the general populace after they had served their prison sentences.

·
Registered
805 Posts
They should leave them there to go feral, eat whatever they can catch. Maybe just drop off a 55-gallon drum of Astroglide once a year.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts