Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I'll take a crisp, cold winter day in the mountains over blistering summer heat near the dessert any day!
Bonus points for twisty (enough) mountain and river roads from late March to early November.
I hate winter, I HATE WINTER, I HATE WINTER!!!

...oh I don't like being hot either.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
That's astounding. I've seen push peddlers really railing downhill on a few of my rides. I was impressed but actually worried about how tiny their tires are. one flat and it's going to be a lot of melted lycra and enough skin to make a wallet all over the road.
I’ve hit the deck at 35mph and I can attest to how freaking painful road rash, a concussion, and a broken collarbone can be. The tires I use are tubeless and I add a special Latex sealant so flats are surprisingly rare these days. But, I think it’s safe to say a blowout at 40-50 would not have a positive outcome.

A couple of guys at work got busted by the Sheriff for speeding down The Lemmon a few years ago.The speed limit is 35 but you can hit 50 mph pretty easily if the wind isn’t blowing uphill.

The Harley guys get pretty flustered when you blow by them on the shoulder lol

·
Registered
770 Posts
Oh, I love it too. I love to drive up to it. play in it, throw a few snowballs, then make like a tree and leave. OK, there's a beverage by a fireplace somewhere in there.. My Bangkok girl is like a cat with that white stuff - try to drop her in it and she'll hurt you, then levitate in order to not actually touch it :D

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
"Bangkok girl"..................wifey or SI?

·
Smut peddler
956 Posts
Give me heat any day. As long as water/ elevation is near. I like being outside, but not when it's full scale replica of a sub zero freezer. 39 years of that shit was enough, so i moved where winter aint. SoCal is muy expensivo, it's called the sunshine tax, and it's worth every penny. AZ could possibly be on my list someday, because the scenery/recreation is stunning, and you just need to get to elevation to cool off.

·
Still needs a life.
12,480 Posts
I have lived in many places over the past 70 years where summers were hot and humid or just plain hot. My two favorite places were neither: Monterey,CA and Edmonds, WA, where I have lived for nearly 30 years. Our dark, gloomy winters up here in the Puget Sound Region are the price we pay for having pleasant summers.

·
Registered
770 Posts
"Bangkok girl"..................wifey or SI?
Lovely wife of 22 years. I'm still trying to figure out how I got so lucky.

Weather.. I had been the construction site architect for resorts, and did a ski-in/ski-out resort around Vail. So kinda got used to the weather there above 8000 ft, and we would often do two runs during lunch. But when our son was a pre-schooler, we made a run up to the Sierras. That was the first and last time my wife has seen snow :D

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Lovely wife of 22 years. I'm still trying to figure out how I got so lucky.

Very good sir. I was fortunate to have spent a year of my life in the company of a stunningly beautiful woman from B kok. When I say beautiful, I mean inside and out. Caring, warm and personable, she literally changed my life. This was 10 years back and For reasons I still hate myself, we split up. If I knew then what I know now........................

·
Registered
770 Posts
Sorry to hear it, man. If they were raised in a traditional Thai family, they are the best you can find anywhere. But that doesn't mean deferral... lots of Western men go there thinking they're going to find a woman to walk three steps behind em, then they get their butt kicked :D These girls are raised to be strong!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Anyway so back on-thread topic - went for a scoot to exercise one of the bikes this AM here in the AZ. Will take out another bike this evening.

At noon it was tracking around 95F, but as long as I was moving, very comfortable in perf Alpinestars gear. Low humidity is key! That same 95F in Bangkok is an attention getter. This is my Bangkok 996. I kept that plate - the small script is the Thai word for Bangkok, Krungthep Mahanakhon - City of Angels. Indeed.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
After a good hour or so, playing with some locals, one of them hit me, once again, with that worn out Phoenix factoid that it "never rains". And that was pretty much it...
Clearly delusional. Musta heard that song on the radio and after too much sun thought it was about Phoenix instead of where the song was written about, Southern California. 😆

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice weather here in FL, specially mid and north (here in Miami there are only 2 seasons: hot and crazy hot, so too hot in my opinion). Orlando, Jacksonville, Vero Beach, Daytona.... very pleasant summers and tolerable winters. No snow.

I lived in north Idaho (Couer d’Alene) around 25 years ago and the winter was brutal..... great skiing right around the corner, but don’t miss living on those winter conditions. I’m on the group that rather bare hotter vs cooler days.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Rats, missed a great ride op this dusk as the temp fell below 95 and the sun's rays evaporated.. had to throw a salmon on a mesquite fire to ensure the domestic tranquility. All good. Got a nice desert run in before lunch tho!

·
Administrator
12,240 Posts
I reconnected with I-17 back to Phoenix sometime after 8. The weather in Flagstaff all day was perfect... 70's, comfortable... just perfect. Sedona was a bit warmer, but still not uncomfortable. Around 8:45 pm I began to notice the warmth, and glanced at the outside temp indicator on the dash, which was right next to the clock. It was 88... over the next 30 minutes as I got into Phoenix proper, heading for my hotel, I watched in horror as the temp indicator climbed literally by the minute. By the time I got to the hotel parking lot, it was 102... at 9:15 pm. 102... at 9:15 pm. (Correction... it was apparently 101.5 at 9:18)
View attachment 985475
Pretty sure that 101.5 was the radio station (KALV-FM) and 105 was the temperature 😅

·
Premium Member
5,219 Posts
Pretty sure that 101.5 was the radio station (KALV-FM) and 105 was the temperature 😅
Hahahahahahahahaha... you're right! That is hilarious...

So I guess my memory of that day is not as tight as I thought it was... although there is a symmetry to it now (3 minutes and 3 degrees) that appeals to my CDO.

;)

·
Still needs a life.
12,480 Posts
I lived in north Idaho (Couer d’Alene) around 25 years ago and the winter was brutal..... great skiing right around the corner, but don’t miss living on those winter conditions. I’m on the group that rather bare hotter vs cooler days.
I went to high school in Lewiston and worked in the paper mill summers between my college years at WSU (Go Cougs!). I envied you guys who lived "up the hill" in cooler places like Couer d'Alene and Moscow.
I never complained about the winters as I loved skiing at Schweitzer and Jackass.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts