Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
No biggie - I love even the summers here in E Mesa, but we're about a thousand feet up from Phoenix' heat island, and evenings bring a cooling mountain effect with the evapotranspiration of the desert plants. The watering holes come to life mid-evening and later accordingly, and the outdoor verandas are very nicely appointed with flora & fauna in the evenings. Even on 115 deg days.

Between 10:00am and 8:00pm, my trips outdoors are for a purpose. But it's the same approach as Mountains/Midwest/NE/Northern Plains Winters, where folks stay largely in conditioned space from Dec to Feb. Just learn to work the thermostat. September - early May we use little to no energy to condition our space, and life is best ever for outdoor living. And it more than pays for the A/C bill for a few months.

Raised in South Texas, lived years in SE Asia, I'm a heat lizard. Humidity? Ah stop your whining! Warm air and humidity are just plain good for the skin. Now, I have used a porta-potty on a ski resort construction site for many months, with the worst being -119F. But into the negatives was common. That's all you, dudes. I'll take the heat anyday, thanks!

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Isn’t Arizona tolerable in the mountains? They really do treat the heat like winter and hide indoors, I remember Nevada and California with the lizard people from too much sun.

·
Super Moderator
26,466 Posts
Summertime day trips - you bet! Head North, young man! Get up on the Mogollon Rim and it's lovely. Up Yarnell hill and 89A (White Spars!) to Prescott for Lunch, head across to Strawberry, Payson...problem is you gotta come back down the hill into the valley and the heat to get home.

I do miss it.

·
Still needs a life.
12,488 Posts
The only “cool” part of living where I do (temp wise anyway) is what is called the Delta Breeze. It picks up pretty much every evening around 5:30-6:00 and cools things down to a much more comfortable 70-75 degrees.
We got the Delta Breeze in Sacramento, too. They were the only reason I could survive there without air conditioning. Take whatever the temperature was around 7:30am, add 30*, and that would be the high for the day. If it was already in the 70's by 7:30, you were in for a hot day. But, it really was a dry heat.

·
Registered
805 Posts

87F at 7:30 and dusk-ish, enjoying a cool beverage on the veranda, the neighbors and bikes are out and enjoying the evening.. with a little breeze or wind at-speed, its absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Nothing like getting your knee down on a tight right-hander on a sunny day and having to lift your head to clear the snowbank!
That on the road to/from Globe from Gold Canyon? Made that descent on my Harley Dyna around midnight with girl on the back and 50 lbs of luggage. Was grinding metal, but that's not hard on a Hog. Just a beautiful descent.

·
Registered
805 Posts
...Anyway, one of the constants thru those days spent in Phoenix, was the never ending string of residents telling us how great Phoenix is, and almost to a person, every one of them used as a keystone in their reasoning, the meteorological data point that it "never rained in Phoenix". Personally, I was exhausted from listening to their obviously twisted sense of logic, as much as I was from the onslaught of the constant oppressive heat. By the last evening, I'd heard enough. Upon the recommendation of the concierge at our hotel, we ended up at a local bar where every... single... person, I shit you not, was wearing "cowboy/cowgirl" accoutrements. We stood there stunned, while the bouncer checked our ID's, and, feeling somewhat out of place, asked him if it "was theme night". He stared at me blankly and replied "what do you mean"?
sucka say wha? cowboy accoutrement? OOHHhhh, the thing we call manly footwear! ["London Homesick Blues" by Jerry Jeff Walker. Viva Terlingua, the best album ever ]. Me, I always wear Hawaiian and/or Camo with my stingray turd knockers. One needs a little irony to carry off silliness.

It never ceases to amaze me how, pretty much everywhere, the locals are convinced - and will do their damnest to convince you - that that particular piece of turf they call home is the best place on dog's green earth. Must be a coping mechanism.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
That on the road to/from Globe from Gold Canyon? Made that descent on my Harley Dyna around midnight with girl on the back and 50 lbs of luggage. Was grinding metal, but that's not hard on a Hog. Just a beautiful descent.
That's a nice road too, but that pic is right here in Tucson on Mt Lemmon, a mile uphill of Windy Vista. 36 miles, 1370 turns,...

·
Registered
805 Posts
That's a nice road too, but that pic is right here in Tucson on Mt Lemmon, a mile uphill of Windy Vista. 36 miles, 1370 turns,...
Nice. come Sept, we should plan a ride. I've been mapping dirt roads for ADV putts, but my 1198 needs exercise!

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
I think you have to live somewhere year round to really know what it’s like. I live in south Michigan in the summer and fall, and southwest Florida winter and spring. I avoid the worst of the hot weather and almost all of the snow. I lived in Michigan year round most of my life. It sucked.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Growing up a military brat, I lived all over the place. South East, Germany, Mid-West, Germany, South West, Central East Coast....then more of the same once on Active Duty.

I’m not a fan of cold weather, or more accurately, prolonged cold weather. I was once stationed in Germany, in the Eiffel and didn’t see sun for 7 months. I was miserable.

My first year in the UK was similar....only it seemed colder the few times the sun came out. It was so gray and over cast for so long I VOLUNTEERED for a deployment to Saudi Arabia just to get some sun.

I settled down here in the Bay Area after a life time of moving and packing my life into card board boxes every year or two. I’ve been here for 25 years now.

Not moving anytime soon either. Unless I win the lottery, and then I’m retiring and moving to Pacific Grove. That’s the only place I’ve been to in the last 25 years where I feel like I’d actually move again just to live there.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Denali Prep Climb/Gear Test @ Hermit Lake, Mt. Washington NH. Feb 2000. Ambient temp that night was minus 18, windchill was "You've got to be shitting me"...
I grew up in Sweden and was a competitive mogul skier in my youth - I love winter and snow...just not shoveling it off my driveway or scraping it off my car in the morning :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Here's another shot of Mt. Lemmon - it's a beautiful ride.

I ride it quite a bit on my bicycle too - the climb can be rather painful but the decent is freakin' awesome :D

·
Registered
805 Posts
That's astounding. I've seen push peddlers really railing downhill on a few of my rides. I was impressed but actually worried about how tiny their tires are. one flat and it's going to be a lot of melted lycra and enough skin to make a wallet all over the road.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Looks nice n all but...............fuck them scorpions............ mmmmmkay..........

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,278 Posts
I'll take a crisp, cold winter day in the mountains over blistering summer heat near the dessert any day!
Bonus points for twisty (enough) mountain and river roads from late March to early November.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts