Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The damned Bark Scorpions are freakin' nasty...

This one got my fiancé in the foot last week. Ended up in the ER because her entire leg was tingling/painful and her tongue swelled up so she was having difficulty swallowing. They didn't really have to do much but observe her for a few hours to make sure all was good but, the pain/tingly/numbness lasted for almost a week.

I've been out hunting them in the yard for the past week - caught 7 or 8 of them. Kind of fun because they fluoresce when you shine a UV light on'em.

Quick little bastards too...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Heh....some pet stores pay good money for them!

We used to catch them and feed them to Emperor Scorpions whenI was in “Southwest Asia”....more commonly referred to as the “Middle East”

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know if any pet stores in Arizona would pay for a Bark Scorpion lol. An Emperor Scorpion, sure...but they're not as venomous :)

This is the biggest one I've found. Probably about 4 inches long - was on the kitchen floor. My dog was barking at it but luckily, decided not to get too close.

She did get bit/stung by something a few years ago though. She needed surgery - large gaping hole in her side appeared over night. Looks like a Brown Recluse but the vet couldn't say and I've never seen one in person. Felt so bad for the poor girl. She was jacked for a couple of weeks after that...

·
Registered
791 Posts
Funny u mention it. I woke up a few days ago here in E Mesa to such pain in my hand I couldn't move it. Turned-on the light and the whole hand was swollen and red. blood pressure was above 180/90! no idea what it was but an EMT said it may have been a scorpion, as they leave no sting mark. But Ive never seen one on our property in 2.5 years. go figure.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ouch! Sounds like it could’ve been. My fiancé didn’t have a mark where she was stung - not even a little prick. It didn’t even appear swollen from what I could see but she was in a lot of pain.

I’d only seen one on my property in 4.5 years but I’ve never looked quite this closely either.

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
I have a somewhat humorous, depending on your point of view, anecdote, which is definitely on topic. I used to work for one of the, if not the largest engineering software company in the world, and used to do a LOT of work related travel. The very first time I flew into Phoenix was in late May. I landed at around 10:30 at night, grabbed my stuff from bag claim and stepped outside to grab the Hertz shuttle at around 11:00 pm, into what I assumed would be the cool, late evening air...

It was 98F... and the F stands for Fuuuuuhhhhhkkkk. Next morning, I hit the road for Flagstaff early, it's pleasant out... nowhere near what it was the night before, but not what I'm used to with regards to temp for a late spring morning either. No biggie... I swing by a Dunks, grab a hot Dark Roast, cream only and a two glazed, and I'm off like a prom dress. A great day in Flagstaff, stunning weather, not a cloud in the cerulean sky. I left Flagstaff at around 4 PM, advised by the gentleman I was visiting to skip I-17 initially and try 89 thru Sedona instead. He insisted I would not be sorry, and he was absolutely correct. One of the most enjoyable spirited drives I've ever had... I felt like I was in a Mazda 6 Sport commercial. I was having way too much fun and ended up not getting out of there until almost 8 PM.

I reconnected with I-17 back to Phoenix sometime after 8. The weather in Flagstaff all day was perfect... 70's, comfortable... just perfect. Sedona was a bit warmer, but still not uncomfortable. Around 8:45 pm I began to notice the warmth, and glanced at the outside temp indicator on the dash, which was right next to the clock. It was 88... over the next 30 minutes as I got into Phoenix proper, heading for my hotel, I watched in horror as the temp indicator climbed literally by the minute. By the time I got to the hotel parking lot, it was 102... at 9:15 pm. 102... at 9:15 pm. (Correction... it was apparently 101.5 at 9:18)

I took this picture of the dash indicator (above) and emailed my co-workers and friends something to this effect: WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON IN THIS PLACE? The next couple of days we had company meetings in Phoenix, and had a blast going out in the evenings. Took in a Diamondbacks game, hit a lot of awesome bars, drank to excess, you know the drill. Anyway, one of the constants thru those days spent in Phoenix, was the never ending string of residents telling us how great Phoenix is, and almost to a person, every one of them used as a keystone in their reasoning, the meteorological data point that it "never rained in Phoenix". Personally, I was exhausted from listening to their obviously twisted sense of logic, as much as I was from the onslaught of the constant oppressive heat. By the last evening, I'd heard enough. Upon the recommendation of the concierge at our hotel, we ended up at a local bar where every... single... person, I shit you not, was wearing "cowboy/cowgirl" accoutrements. We stood there stunned, while the bouncer checked our ID's, and, feeling somewhat out of place, asked him if it "was theme night". He stared at me blankly and replied "what do you mean"?

Anyway, the concierge was right, the billiards tables in this place were beautiful, and regardless of the dress code, we had a blast. After a good hour or so, playing with some locals, one of them hit me, once again, with that worn out Phoenix factoid that it "never rains". And that was pretty much it... I laid into this guy with every logical thought I'd had over the last several days.

"You're right... IT NEVER RAINS HERE! YOU LIVE IN A FUCKING DESERT. I DON'T GIVE A FUCK IF IT'S A DRY HEAT, 115 IS 115... IF YOU CAN FRY AN EGG ON THE HOOD OF A CAR IT'S TOO FUCKING HOT OUT. EVEN THE LIZARDS WHO LIVE HERE ARE SMART ENOUGH NOT TO GO OUT INTO THE SUN DURING THE DAY! IF IT WEREN'T FOR ONE OF THE LARGEST ENGINEERING PROJECTS OF ALL TIME, YOU'D HAVE NO WATER HERE AT ALL... Geez."

I swear, every time I hear a story like this, especially as it relates to the Scorpion and the Brown Recluse, I am reminded of that first trip to Arizona. And the very next thought I have, every one of those times, is how awesome living in New England is.

Edit: After posting this I did a little search of my data/media server and found the pics from that day. That trip, and the pics from it, was in '04. That was 16 years ago and I was off by 3 minutes and .5 degrees. I'm going to go ahead and call that one a win for the "gray matter"... ;)

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
One of my best friends had one as a 'pet' when we were in high school. Leroy was his name. The scorpion's, that is.

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
I lived there for 20 years but came to my senses. The first thing that gets fried is your brain.
I literally cannot imagine living there, or why anyone would want to. My niece went to U of A in Tuscon... she loved the "environment" but not the heat and could not get out of there fast enough after graduation.

Am curious why you moved here from there... were you from this area originally?

·
Super Moderator
26,454 Posts
Yes, from the Syracuse area. I liked it actually but came back here when my parents were getting up there in years and I started hearing stories from my sister.

The first couple years I got used to splitting lanes when it was so hot the tank on my Hawk GT was leaving welts on my thighs. The cops I passed probably figured it was a matter of life and death, and they were right. Then I learned to just treat summer like winter up here and don't go outside for three or four months.

·
Still needs a life.
12,487 Posts
I lived in Phoenix for a year, which was 365 days too many. That "dry" heat is only in the spring. In June the monsoons roll up from Mexico with terrific thunder and lightning storms. The humidity rolls up as well.

After experiencing my first thunderstorm, I thought it would have cooled off and safe to go outside. WRONG!. It was now a steam bath!

The locals would often say, "I love the heat." Close questioning brought out that they were never in the heat, they just moved from one air-conditioned location to the next via their air conditioned cars. The only time they were really outdoors in the heat was when they were in their swimming pools.

I never did see any scorpions, just black widow spiders and giant cockroaches that came up from the sewers.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It never rains in Phoenix? Lmao - we have a monsoon every year between June and September’ish. It rains quite a bit in Phoenix - even more in Tucson.

The heat between June and August is oppressive to say the least but, like places that are cold in the winter, you learn to deal with it. The rest of the year is absolutely beautiful tho.

I’ve lived in the Southwest for the past 25 years.10 years in Texas, 10 years in New Mexico, and almost 5 years here in AZ.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I literally cannot imagine living there, or why anyone would want to. My niece went to U of A in Tuscon... she loved the "environment" but not the heat and could not get out of there fast enough after graduation.
I understand why people would avoid this place in the summer - no doubt it’s hot as Hades - and Bill is right about the steam bath lol. But, beyond June-August, it’s a great place to call home imho.

The one place I couldn’t wait to bounce from was Austin, TX. It was beautiful when I moved there in 96 but damn, the population freaking exploded and traffic was a total nightmare (goes for all of Texas imho). I went back for a reunion a few years ago and almost turned around when I hit San Antonio.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
My MIL lives SE of Phoenix. We have only gone to visit in winter.
Bisbee is interesting and a cool tourist trap type place.
I like the desert and cactuses and such. But forget the heat, no bueno.

It gets too hot here, but not that bad.
I would not want to live there, but it is easy to see why so many houses have pools. Like, almost all of them, it seemed.
As noted flying into town, and looking down to see what there is to see.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I agree that heat beats below zero temps, snow, and ice. That is the worst.

I'd really like to live somewhere like Camarillo or Ventura where the temps may not always be just right aka Goldilocks, but never get all that hot, or cold. Something to do with that giant AC unit called the Pacific Ocean.

·
Super Moderator
26,454 Posts
Yeah...problem there is, so does everybody else.
I think my parents had it right: A giant motorhome and "home" was wherever it was 75 degrees.

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but New England suits me just fine. I enjoy all of the seasons and none are too extreme, although if that's what you're looking for, you can certainly find it.

Denali Prep Climb/Gear Test @ Hermit Lake, Mt. Washington NH. Feb 2000. Ambient temp that night was minus 18, windchill was "You've got to be shitting me"...

See... here's the thing. You can ALWAYS find some way to stay warm and/or generate heat in winter. However, when the mercury goes the other way... well, your options are kind of limited. I would take a week of this over a noontime walk thru Phoenix in mid August... without hesitation.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I live in the last town in the East Bay off of HWY 80 still considered “Bay Area”. We are on the what is called Suisun Slough which feeds into San Francisco Bay.

I make that point because we are not far from the Pacific Ocean. Yet temps here in summer reach well past 100 degrees. 105-108 is quite common between August.....and, well....November.

The only “cool” part of living where I do (temp wise anyway) is what is called the Delta Breeze. It picks up pretty much every evening around 5:30-6:00 and cools things down to a much more comfortable 70-75 degrees.

Winter is generally from Thanksgiving to March. Normally anyway. I can live with that, as we generally have days in winter when it is perfect for a ride.

Thing is, the Bay Area is filled with dozens of micro climates. What mostly holds true for where I live, does not just the other side of town....or even the next town over.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts