Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, after much procrastination (although I dont know why?) I am making the move from my trusty 92 750ss to a 996, although sad to see the SS go i am looking forward to the 996 experience (and the challenges it will bring). More of a weekend warrior than anything serious in my bike riding i think this will more than satisfy the itch. I have been a long time reader Ducati MS but never posted but i think that will progressively change with the 996 soon to be in the stable. To say i have done considerable background reading on the 996 would be an understatement but it has led me to my first question.

Most places you look list parts for the 996 as models from 99 - 01, some books also list the 996 model as commencing in 99 through to 01, i know for a fact that they were started in 98 (i have a build 10/98). A small anomaly but it leads me to my question

When looking at some parts (rectifiers, etc) it is identified identify that pre 99 models in the 916 996 998 range have changes and differences does this apply to the 98 996 models and opposed to the 99 996 models? I am thinking that because the release of the 996 was late in 1998 (from what i can gather, may have been earlier in 98) that for convenience purposes most just identify the model as being in production from 99 - 01. That and given that there is quite a bit of cross over from the 916 to the 996 with obvious improvements that the pre 99 reference is really more aimed at 98 916 versus the 99 996. Sorry if that sounds a bit confusing.

i dont have the bike on hand at the moment:( only 9 more days till i get it:D but i suppose some tell tales would be differences in the wiring on the alternator/regulator set up if there were any.

If anyone knows of any specific differences between the 98 996 and the 99 996 it would be most appreciated.

Just for reference its a Biposto

Hats off to the regular (and not so regular) contributors of this forum, politics and BS aside i have found it extremely informative and has armed me with a wealth of knowledge to confidently maintain both the 750 and the soon to be 996

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys I figured as much about the year just wanted to double check, i would have been surprised if there was any difference particularly in a base model. Bike has done a few K's so electrics and rockers have been checked/done already and most of the gremmlins have been sorted and it has the lighter 5 spokes on it so i am pretty happy with the intial starting package, still dynoed really strong for its age which is great and still some room for improvement so looking forward to slowely getting the best out of it, cheers

·
Registered
253 Posts
Does the 99 996s have to same concern with the rocker coatings? I continue to see some refer to the motor as the same as the 996, and other sstate it is a slightly more powerful version.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine has 40,000 kms on it, no flaking in site, i suppose if I am going to have any hassles with the rockers now it will be just down to 40K plus of wear and tear, seems like a real hit and miss issue with these engines and even then not all of the rockers are affected, I seem to recall somewhere on the forum that it was a bad batch or change of company (and hence a different or sub standard coating process), anyway something mid production that saw these shonky rockers get into the production line, just a lottery as to who got them and who didnt? Not sure if any one year was more problematic than the others though, that would be interesting to find out, I am sure someone here has some more solid info on that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts