Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Maybe there's more inspiration within these pictures ....

(below) looks as though the Multistrada could stand to have the footpegs raised ... not a whole lot of lean angle available, and the suspension isn't even (really) compressed ... if it were there'd be even less lean clearance.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
@FlattrackSteve
A Lithium Battery will save you anywhere from 6 to 12 lbs instantly depending on the CA you might choose. Moreover, that saving is right off the top of the bike.
I lost over TEN pounds in my case ... went from the lead/acid lump to Anti Gravity L-ion battery, not only A LOT lighter, but physically smaller AND more cold cranking current. As was mentioned, that is ten pounds removed from above the bike's center of gravity. Neato!

·
Sophomore Member
2,879 Posts
Clearance is definitely a problem on the DVT Multi. Carlin Dunne had some Rizoma parts cobbled together to raise the pegs as much as possible and still wore through his boots. The pre-DVT have a tad more clearance stock, but it’s still the limiting factor of the bike.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Clearance is definitely a problem on the DVT Multi. Carlin Dunne had some Rizoma parts cobbled together to raise the pegs as much as possible and still wore through his boots. The pre-DVT have a tad more clearance stock, but it’s still the limiting factor of the bike.
Finding a pair of reasonably priced rear-sets for the Multi is a challenge.
On that note, last year around this time, I started a thread for collaboration:

Reactions: Rex Coil 7

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
... and from that ^ thread .... (make sure to expand the quote so you can view the attached picture). Post quoted here is dated December 31st, 2019 6:04am. I wonder if anything has moved on them meanwhile?

Yes, they are a bit low for spirited riding...I have also been doing extensive searching which is how I found this site and thread. I located some 20mm and 30mm peg risers that are made by CNC and sold through the Design Corse site. I should have them by Aug. 10th and will let you know how that works out.

·
Sophomore Member
2,879 Posts
It is difficult to find rearsets. That’s why the PP team had to fab some parts combined with some Rizoma parts, and still didn’t have enough clearance. They also ran a 200/60 tire to make it taller. There isn’t a reasonable solution.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
So I am trying to keep up around here ... learning about the Multistrada and such. How does the Pikes Peak Multistrada (the Ducati production bike) handle when compared with other bikes? Like (let's say) the 1990s 900SS series? Perhaps the same era Monsters? Or any of the other bikes in the Ducati line?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It is difficult to find rearsets. That’s why the PP team had to fab some parts combined with some Rizoma parts, and still didn’t have enough clearance. They also ran a 200/60 tire to make it taller. There isn’t a reasonable solution.
There is never a reasonable solution when it comes to racebikes, it's nearly always about a compromise one way or another. That said, maybe do what can be done with the footpegs, and lift the bike a bit. It's a give-n-take .. you either deal with reduced lean angle, or you deal with a taller bike (and everything that goes with that). I say go with both ... lift the bike, and raise the pegs (two independent modifications). That way the motorcycle wouldn't have to be lifted as much compared with only lifting the bike without also raising the pegs.

But you gotta know that I'm not the first one to come up with that (can't be! .. there's just no way) ... I'm certain those folks that race the Multistrada have already kicked all of this around, and made choices that lead to action.

·
Sophomore Member
2,879 Posts
It turns in a lot faster than my 900, but that’s not saying much. It is pretty well planted in mid to high speed corners. Get into really high speed corners and it’s a bit twitchy whereas the 900 only gets better and better with speed. The 900 requires more effort to execute transitions, but it’s much more elegant at them. The tall Multi isn’t quite as composed in transitions with all of the high up weight mixing with long suspension travel. The Multi’s brakes are bonkers, but again with the long travel suspension, it’s a bit more effort to keep it composed trailing in. But that’s comparing it to my 900 which shines in braking stability. The Multi is a demon coming out of corners. All of the torque you can stand with really solid TC. My 900 is good out of a corner, but the Multi is much easier to ride. Minor corrections are easy.

·
Sophomore Member
2,879 Posts
I’m not trying to remedy the ground clearance issue on my Multi. It’s my touring bike. Comfort takes priority. I’ve got two other bikes for riding at pace. I’ll play on the Multi, but keep it dialed back. (Hell, I’ve got a center stand on it which also touches in high suspension load corners). If it were my only bike or I was trying to track it, I would be trying to come up with something to get me more clearance.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It turns in a lot faster than my 900, but that’s not saying much. It is pretty well planted in mid to high speed corners. Get into really high speed corners and it’s a bit twitchy whereas the 900 only gets better and better with speed. The 900 requires more effort to execute transitions, but it’s much more elegant at them. The tall Multi isn’t quite as composed in transitions with all of the high up weight mixing with long suspension travel. The Multi’s brakes are bonkers, but again with the long travel suspension, it’s a bit more effort to keep it composed trailing in. But that’s comparing it to my 900 which shines in braking stability. The Multi is a demon coming out of corners. All of the torque you can stand with really solid TC. My 900 is good out of a corner, but the Multi is much easier to ride. Minor corrections are easy.
Thank you!! :) That was helpful!

On the foot peg height thing ...

(below) Stock Multistrada ... top of the foot pegs appear to be ~roughly~ 4.0 inches lower than the center of the swingarm pivot. If you draw a straight line running level and through the center of the foot peg, the line would also be at ~about~ the same height from the ground as the centerline of both axles.

(below) Same with this one .... maybe they're a little bit higher, it looks as though there's a height adjustment cam that the footpeg is mounted to, dunno if that's a stock piece ... in any case these pegs look a teensy bit raised over the stock bike pictured above. Could also just be the angle of the bike, my computer's monitor, my brain, everwhat.

:)

(below) Clearly this bike has had it's foot pegs raised ..... 'em feets are quite abit higher than the axles and appear to be near-level with the swingarm pivot.

(below, next two images) Some of the Tom Foolery that was used to raise the footpegs can be seen here ...

(above) Hmmm ... hard to tell but it kinda looks like these may not be raised as much as the bike with the rider on it.

It seems as though the footpegs are the only thing that gets in the way of lean angle on the Pikes Peak Multistrada .... everything else seems to have plenty of clearance. Fix the peg thing and you've knocked a big chunk out of solving lean angle issues. At least that how it seems from this sports writer's view.

(heheh ...)

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I wore thru my first set of toe sliders (Dainese) and I'm on my way with a second set. I put a set of Ducati-Rizoma pegs on the standard brackets, thinking it would help but didnt make much difference. Raising just the pegs, without raising the brake and shifter pedals will not work either. I can't stomach $1,000 for the Aella (Japan) rearset, though they are truly gorgeous. So...I'm working on hanging off the bike more and I acually starting to drag knee (racetrack) without dragging toes which is not my favorite feeling. I'm 5'8" so definitely not long legs but it's working. I agree that Multi may not be the ideal track bike but it has it's merits.
For me, it's about been comfortable and fast, without having to lean over forward as superbikes dictate. Now, if I could only demo a SF..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: DarR

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
SHEESH!!!!! Them ones Member *DarR spoke of are gorgeous! And $1,200.00 as well.

LINK = AELLA DUCATI MULTISTRADA 1260 ADJUSTABLE REARSETS AE-10090

Per the website .... it's tough to work out the dimensions they've provided ... a lot of talkity talk talk jibberty jabberty mouthery-isms on the web page ... perhaps there's another information source for these peg sets.

Hmm ... a lot of munnies for what appears to be a rather minimal lift. Look at the image above, the top of the peg isn't much closer to the swingarm pivot centerline than the stock Multistrada Pikes Peak. Perhaps an inch higher? All well and good, I suppose an inch is better than nothing ... but that's a $1,200 dollar inch ... it better be one hell of an inch!

;)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
That's some sad shit .... all that money and so little lean clearance.

This looks good (next two pictures).

·
Sophomore Member
2,879 Posts
On my previous Multi, I’d turn my foot 90 degrees so the sole was against the subframe. Then the foot peg could fold up. It doesn’t matter on the new one since the brake/shift lever and center stand touch first.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I’ll throw it out there,... if you come up with dimensions of what you would like for rear sets and moving the brake and shifter up into position. I could mill up a set or 2. I have a Multi. So checking for fitment on the bike would be easy enough.

·
Registered
949 Posts
So I am trying to keep up around here ... learning about the Multistrada and such. How does the Pikes Peak Multistrada (the Ducati production bike) handle when compared with other bikes? Like (let's say) the 1990s 900SS series? Perhaps the same era Monsters? Or any of the other bikes in the Ducati line?
I can only relate the 1260 Multistrada PP to the Monster 1200R and a Panigale 959.
At urban speed, the Multi requires less input to tip over ( considerably less in fact) than the Monster or the Panigale. The latter especially requires considerably more effort but that drawback dissipates at higher speeds and is more than offset by it's stability. I can only guess that the leverage provided by the Multi's wide handlebars has a lot to do with it.
The Multistrada also seems more balanced in terms of fore/aft weight distribution. Both the Monster and the Pani puts considerably more weight on the front wheel.
Moving the Multi around the garage or backing it up is a chore. It's tall and top heavy but that comes with the territory as it's a touring bike.
Each has it's charm. The Monster 1200 R is the hooligan (a real smile generator). I'm on it's fourth season and it still scares the bejesus out of me at times. Something the Multi or the Pani has never done. The Pani is drop-dead sexy and a high speed missile but between the three, the Multistrada is the best all-rounder and that shouldn't come as a surprise.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I can only relate the 1260 Multistrada PP to the Monster 1200R and a Panigale 959.
At urban speed, the Multi requires less input to tip over ( considerably less in fact) than the Monster or the Panigale. The latter especially requires considerably more effort but that drawback dissipates at higher speeds and is more than offset by it's stability. I can only guess that the leverage provided by the Multi's wide handlebars has a lot to do with it.
The Multistrada also seems more balanced in terms of fore/aft weight distribution. Both the Monster and the Pani puts considerably more weight on the front wheel.
Moving the Multi around the garage or backing it up is a chore. It's tall and top heavy but that comes with the teritory as it's a touring bike.
Each has it's charm. The Monster is the hooligan (a real smile generator). The Pani is drop-dead sexy and a high speed misile but between the three, the Multistrada is the best all-rounder and that shouldn't come as a surprise.
Ah! There we go, what I nicely done review. I'm beginning to develop more of a feel for what you Multistrada owners are sitting upon*. Thanks for the patient help and understanding!

:)

*one time I saw a TV show where a guy sat on one (and they even showed it .. the whole thing! ... you could see everything!) ... so yea .. I knows muh shit. I'm a Multistrada expert. Fer sher. T'umbs up brah ...

21 - 39 of 39 Posts