Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my multi ONLY for track days.
Does anyone know of any mods to make it less bulky?
Especially the gas tank.
I don't need all that fuel space.
Trim it down more.
Thanks for your responses

SteveC

·
Registered
2015 Multistrada 1200S, 2015 Panigale 1299S, 2017 Tuono Factory
52 Posts
Why make Multistrada a track bike? Wrong bike

Reactions: iamzombie

·
Sophomore Member
2,879 Posts
I know it’s not a great solution given you already have the Multi, but what about a Hyper? It’s a lot smaller with the same seating position. They weigh a bit less and have more clearance, too. (Also, won PPIHC).

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I say yes. Make an aluminum tank. My entire undertray that holds the battery and everything else is carbon. In fact most everything on my multi I made in carbon, as are the wheels (had to buy those😁). Most bolts are Ti and I built a full titanium and carbon exhaust system which far lighter. Post a picture of what you’ve done so far? There’s always places to lose weight, hell I think I lost +7 lbs when I made a new flywheel on my multi.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I say yes. Make an aluminum tank. My entire undertray that holds the battery and everything else is carbon. In fact most everything on my multi I made in carbon, as are the wheels (had to buy those😁). Most bolts are Ti and I built a full titanium and carbon exhaust system which far lighter. Post a picture of what you’ve done so far? There’s always places to lose weight, hell I think I lost +7 lbs when I made a new flywheel on my multi.
So after all of that, what does your bike weigh in at? Also, should I assume you're speaking of the 2011 in your signature?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I use my multi ONLY for track days.
Does anyone know of any mods to make it less bulky?
Especially the gas tank.
I don't need all that fuel space.
Trim it down more.
Thanks for your responses

SteveC
How capable are you in the shop? What kind of resources do you have available to you (welding machines? ... lathe? ... mill? ... other?).

Let's start with that and go from there.

·
Registered
299 Posts
1. Pike's peak is not a short-circuit race track
2. The main reason the Multi won PP is because bikes with clip-ons were banned (when's the last time you saw a Multistrada in WSBK?)
3. Seriously though, It can be used a track day bike, but there's unlikely to be many massive weight savings to be had.

Carbon fiber wheels are likely the biggest upgrade/weight savings you could have. The fuel tank on a Multi is plastic (at least my 2016, I'm no expert on the earlier bikes), and not all that heavy. Put less fuel in when you're on track.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
If the OP's Multi is in decent shape, how about selling it and maybe finding a 900SS or CR, or even an ST2 or pretty much anything simpler than the money hole the Multistrada is, especially when modifying one? That Multi was not designed with modifications in mind (frame cut/weld stuff, and the like). It's too complex, there's wiring shit all over that thing, there's plastic everywhere, and with the kind of munny that a Multi could bring in that would go a LONG way towards putting together a better candidate for track day playing around. For the casual Hot Shoe the Multistrada seems like WAY too much like work to just have fun on. Computer crap, complex (and poorly executed) wiring looms, sensors ... BLECH! .... All of which become potential failure points, and "fun killers" for the casual weekend warrior to futz with.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I have never weighed the bike whole. Just individual pieces as I made them. One day it would be useful to weigh. And yes it is the 2011 in the signature block....although I have a bit of a Ducati problem several, most all are customs...IE. I do have better than average garage tools, vertical milling machine, Lathe, MIG, TIG, Plasma, and done lots of custom carbon fiber work. The MTS is never going to be better on the track than a SBK, but like the OP I also would prefer my MTS...even though I have a SBK too. My long winded point is a MTS can be a really badass track bike that’s different than everything else out there. Mine is very very light, full of 1 off pieces, dry clutch, light flywheel, SBK pistons and cams, full tuning capabilities, quick shifter up and down, full manual ohlins, and the list goes on. So depending on what the OP is capable of There is much that can be done with his MTS

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses
I do ALL the work on my multi
Engine mods mostly
I know about the stock flywheel
As heavy as a small block chevy harmonic balancer!!
All the usual engine mods, air box, quick shifter, aluminum flywheel, shortened termi with a larger diameter perforated inside pipe, tuneboy engine management, took the crankcase breather off of the air box and vented to the atmosphere through a small k&n breather filter and others.
The motor has way more than enough power for me (torque monster).
I ride the intermediate class at the track and take great enjoyment at passing clip on riders on a situp bike.
What I hoped to find from this forum is to take some of the body work bulk off the bike without totally custom parts. Although if there are some custom plans, to help reduce bodywork bulk, I can fabricate almost anything, but I would need those plans. The real bulk of this bike is between the seat and headlight, no problem behind the seat.
Thanks for any help

SteveC

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts

That will dump some weight and the black plastic tail section under the pass seat with the passenger handles is quite heavy. That would be a good carbon project too.

·
Registered
949 Posts
@FlattrackSteve
A Lithium Battery will save you anywhere from 6 to 12 lbs instantly depending on the CA you might choose. Moreover, that saving is right off the top of the bike.

Reactions: Rex Coil 7

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
YES!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Ok, so Member *FlattrackSteve has cred ... I'm satisfied he's the real deal, hopefully others are as well (I'm sure of it). Alrighty then, let's get to this thing ..... :)

Fun Multistrada pictures from my collection ...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts