Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe in order to keep within Ducati's warranty for the 696, a maintenence schedule at every 7,500 miles or every 12 months needs to be done to where the valves and belt need to be checked.

Now just to be sure, is it every 12 months or just every7,500 miles Because that wouldn't make sense to do all that work and spend the money to check the valves and belt if you maybe put 2,000-3000 miles on your bike the whole year. There wouldn't be the wear and tear on the engine if only 2,000 miles were put on instead of 7,500. I can understand paying for an oil change after 12 months, but not the money to start taking the engine apart just after 2000 miles.

Now, let's say you are no longer in the warranty period. How many miles on average does a belt on the 696 last before it needs to be replaced and how long before you can stop worrying about the valves needing to be re-ajusted , shimmed and all that? Or do you really need to do that at 7,500 miles for the life of the bike?

·
Registered
29 Posts
From the Ducati website FAQ

http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/service/faq.jhtml

Bikes from MY 2007 and on:
Service "A": within 6 months or 1000 km / 600 miles
Service "B": within 12 months or 12.000 km / 7.500 miles
Service "C": within 24 months or 24.000 km / 15.000 miles
Service "D": within 36 months or 36.000 km / 22.500 miles
ecc...

Remember that the service must be carried out as soon as one of the two deadlines indicated above is met (e.g., either 6 months or 1,000 km).
You can find details of the procedure to follow in the Warranty Handbook that accompanies your bike.

I'm not sure about the maintanence requirements for parts that are 'old' yet not 'used' very much.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/service/faq.jhtml

Bikes from MY 2007 and on:
Service "A": within 6 months or 1000 km / 600 miles
Service "B": within 12 months or 12.000 km / 7.500 miles
Service "C": within 24 months or 24.000 km / 15.000 miles
Service "D": within 36 months or 36.000 km / 22.500 miles
ecc...

Remember that the service must be carried out as soon as one of the two deadlines indicated above is met (e.g., either 6 months or 1,000 km).
You can find details of the procedure to follow in the Warranty Handbook that accompanies your bike.

I'm not sure about the maintanence requirements for parts that are 'old' yet not 'used' very much.

This is exactly what I'm asking about.
From a hypothectical viewpoint. WHY? again...WHY would you need to get something like Service 'B" done within 12 months if your bike has only something like 2000 miles on it. It doesn't make any financial sense or maintenence sense to have a Ducati mechanic check the belts and valves if there is hardly any wear and tear on the engine parts with just 2000 miles on it compared to 7,500.

With just 2000 miles on your bike, most likely , the mechanic is going to take things apart, inspect, see that everything is okay, put it back together, and say "All looks good with the belt and valves, we gave you and oil change, that will be $800, please."
Like gee, an oil change and someone telling me my engine parts look good with just 2000 miles on it, for only $800 dollars, just to keep my 2 year warranty.

Spending money for maintenence and inspections on something that has some and wear and tear on it is understandable.
Spending money for maintenence on something because some time (12 mos, 24 mos. etc.) went by is giving your money away if you need to take it to a Ducati mechanic.

Would you pay a car mechanic hundreds of dollars to inspect your car's brakes or visually inspect the engine if your car has only 2000 miles on it to keep your car's warranty? So it may be a smart thing to ask Ducati, do they really expect people to take their bike in for a major inspection if the bike has low miles on it or do they just expect people to have alot of miles on their bike when they take it in for maintenence.

It also may be financially smart to consider that the warranty may not be worth it if you are spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on your bike if nothing is wrong with it and you don't ride it that often or very hard like racing.

Most likely, like any vehicle, things will start going bad once the warranty is over...not before.

I know it's a great Italian machine that may need some extra attention and care, but it's just a $9,000 Ducati, not a $250,000 Lamborghini.

·
Registered
282 Posts
That's not exactly how it works...... Yes, the valves need to be checked at 7,500 but not sooner. If you only have 2,000 miles at the end of the year, you should have the belts checked/replaced. The rubber can wear/crack/or age due to time and heat. The valve adjustment schedule is based on mileage, not time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Keep in mind that miles and revolutions are two entirely different things. Someone who spent the year putting 7,500 miles on their bike doing highway miles probably needs less valve maintenance than someone who spent 2,000 miles in traffic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts