Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Change oil\filter every 3-5k km's, major every 15k km's, about $800, most SS riders learn to service themselves.

Edit. You talking bout new-NEW 2017 SS, sorry no idea.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Here in Denmark, if you do not have an authorized dealer performing the service during the warranty period, you loose the warranty.

They sell bikes (and cars) with very little profit, services and repairs is where they make their profit. If people were allowed to do the service themselves, most dealers would be out of business.

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
+1

without laying hands on one it will be hard to know service costs yet. it is based on time x shop rate so if they made it easy to access the motor for a service cost will be lower. One of my fears with the new bike is there has been a tend for over a decade now to make it harder and longer just to remove parts to get to the motor for servicing. This adds cost but only the dealers will know this yet. Once you have the bodywork,gas tank and radiator removed it is no different than any 4-valve testastretta service so I would guess about 4 hours if adjusting valves plus the time to get there and then replace everything. Most 4 valve services are about 8 hours some are quicker and some are longer all due to bodywork and other things in the way.

Your dealer might have a suggested flat rate charge for this and will be able to give you an idea. do not forget to add in parts into the estimate as some dealers charge per shim changed ($10ish each)
timing belts will be close to $200 a pair oil,filter and brake fluids,fuel filter will probably add another $100-150.

Keep in mind other maintenance cost that also often land about the 18000 mile mark.

chain and sprockets will be done close to that time plan on putting on a quick change rear (it will save money long term) $400-500
Tires often are due around then $300 and up installed
suspension fluids in both shock and forks $300-400

Look at similar bikes costs for a full tune and it should be close probably close to a 848-1198 service unless the really screwed up the bodywork.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Here in Denmark, if you do not have an authorized dealer performing the service during the warranty period, you loose the warranty.

They sell bikes (and cars) with very little profit, services and repairs is where they make their profit. If people were allowed to do the service themselves, most dealers would be out of business.
In the US, the Federal Trade Commission has deemed that sort of "Tie-In Sales" Provisions horseshit illegal with the Magnuson-Moss Act. There is virtually no reason why competition between dealers can't encompass the concept of third parties, including owners, performing maintenance. When the law went into effect in 1975, all the crap claims by dealers about not making enough money on the cars evaporated.

When the customer has no alternative to dealer maintenance to maintain the warranty, the purchaser that wants to maintain their own bike and also keep the warranty in place gets screwed.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
have a talk to your government consumer affairs organisation about that. i think you'll find it illegal. the dealers will be as unhelpful as possible, but i think in law you will find that they can't enforce it. of course, until someone takes it to court and gets the precedent it can be hard.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I lived in Orange County (Irvine) but would sometimes make the travel to Pro Italia for them to work on my bike if I was hanging with a few buddies in that area for a weekend. It's a bit far from you but none of the shops you've listed are particularly popular in the Duc scene in LA; at least from what I gathered.

·
Registered
234 Posts
have a talk to your government consumer affairs organisation about that. i think you'll find it illegal. the dealers will be as unhelpful as possible, but i think in law you will find that they can't enforce it. of course, until someone takes it to court and gets the precedent it can be hard.
Sorry, but I live in Denmark, Northern Europe, part of the European Union, not in a banana state republic. This is a closely regulated area, in compliance with local and EU rules.

Service repairs are required to be performed by an authorized dealer/mechanic in the warranty period, if you should not void the warranty. Cars and motorcycles are the same, and some years ago, if you bought a Ford, only an authorized Ford dealer could perform the service in the warranty period. Now, other non-Ford dealers/mechanics are allowed to perform the service, if the have the required authorizations and meet the standards by the car manufacturer. And this is not an easy task, and in most cases requires the purchase of expensive special tools and systems etc., leaving the small garage mechanic out of the equation.

But no persons, like the buyer of the car or motorcycle, can perform any service themselves, if they want to keep their warranty. Welcome to Denmark.....we also have a 150% tax on cars and motorcycles...welcome again, and maybe goodbye.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
wow, i didn't realise that was eu law.

i did a bit of googling and i'm not convinced that is actually eu law, but it's a bit hard to tell. there seems to be a directive to increase competition, but it's written in a format that is a bit confusing.

·
Registered
609 Posts
With all this chat about home servicing being okay during the warranty period; how do you prove to the manufacturer you have done all the servicing, properly, according to their required schedule with competence, in the event you have to make a claim?

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
With all this chat about home servicing being okay during the warranty period; how do you prove to the manufacturer you have done all the servicing, properly, according to their required schedule with competence, in the event you have to make a claim?
Keep a log of the service you performed along with receipts for the supplies you purchased to do the job is all that should be required. Proving competence...not sure you can prove or disprove someone's competence without going to court. If something on the engine malfunctioned and it was determined that your incorrect servicing caused the malfunction then you could be on the hook for the repair but all of that may be very difficult to prove definitively.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
it's about the fault and if previous work has contributed to said fault. for instance, if the fork seals leak and it's done less km than the fork oil change interval then any service work done is irrelevant.

ime very few warranty faults are anything to do with service stuff.

the other side of that, of course, is that people come in and try to bullshit you into warranty for stuff they've caused. i used to try to think of questions to ask them that had an obvious, but wrong answer. just so they'd have to then totally reverse their original claim in front of me with more obvious lies. i figured if they'd come in with bullshit i had the right to fuck with them a little.

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
the other side of that, of course, is that people come in and try to bullshit you into warranty for stuff they've caused. i used to try to think of questions to ask them that had an obvious, but wrong answer. just so they'd have to then totally reverse their original claim in front of me with more obvious lies. i figured if they'd come in with bullshit i had the right to fuck with them a little.
I used to work for a wireless carrier and people would come in with phones that didn't work because they'd gotten wet. Their answer was always they sweated on the phone...uh-huh. One dude came in the store saying his phone had never been wet and his child with him said "oh yes it did Daddy, remember when it fell out of your pocket in the lake when we were fishing this weekend?" :grin2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts