Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 st3 I do my own maint I called the closest ducati dealership to reset the light and they flat out refused because they did not do the maint themselves. Is this normal or do I need to find another dealer?

·
Registered
167 Posts
make friends with your closest stealer. buy some stuff and make nice with service manager. That service light must my reset by their computer to turn it off. Or-u can just live with it on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know they need to turn it off and I dont mind paying for them to do it. When I called they refused. I was told if they did not do the service they would not shut the light off.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you do your service yourself, I am sure you are keeping track of it. You don't need the service light to tell you when to do the maintenance. If it has a fuse, and it annoys you, you may want to remove the fuse.

·
Still needs a life.
12,545 Posts
If you are talking about that little wrench, just ignore it. Even if the dealer does the service, the wrench will still show up if you hit the magic mile before the next service is actually due. That has happened to me several times.

·
Still needs a life.
12,545 Posts
1. Insert key
2. Hold one of the two dash buttons in (L or R, can't recall which, pretty sure it's left)
3. Turn key on while still holding that button in
4. Wait for the dash to finish "booting"
5. Let go of the button
6. Turn the key off and back on to verify it turned off the service indicator

If one button doesn't work, just try the other one. You won't make the bike disappear or anything if you press the wrong one!
The question of the pesky wrench comes up periodically on Ducati.MS. As I recall from prior discussions, this procedure may work for some Ducati models but it does not work for the new style ST series.

just wondering if that works for all Ducs? specifically an '09 1098 ? thanks ...... Les
Another reason why I made my plea on the ST forum for members to include the model and model year of their Ducati in their signature line and profile. In this thread, the OP is asking about about an 06-ST3. I assume tbird245 is speaking from personal experience about his own Ducati; but in his original response, we do not know what model it is. I see he has made a follow up post specifying it is a Monster.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Most dealers will refuse (hopefully politely) to reset the service light, maintenance light, wrench icon, or whatever your bike shows on its dash unless they can be shown proof, usually in the form of a receipt, that the service in question has been done. It doesn't have to have been done by that particular dealer, but they need to see proof that it's been done. If not, by resetting the light they're, in effect, validating that a service has been done when in fact it may not have been. Look at this scenario: An owner decides to sell his Ducati, but knows it needs the 12k service and doesn't want to pay the big dollars to get it done. He/she takes it to a local dealer and they reset the service light. Now that owner can sell the bike and profess that it's had all its maintenance done. Unsuspecting buyer now has a bike that needs a major service and has no clue about it. If the first owner had made a habit of this from day one, the new owner might be riding a bike that is a ticking time bomb waiting for belts to snap or who knows what failure could be lurking just around the next bend. The dealer who reset the light is in collusion with the negligent owner in this case, and certainly not someone you'd want to do business with. The dealers who won't reset the lights without proof of service are protecting both themselves and any future owners of bikes out there that are purported to be fully serviced and up to spec. Make sense?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Most dealers will refuse (hopefully politely) to reset the service light, maintenance light, wrench icon, or whatever your bike shows on its dash unless they can be shown proof, usually in the form of a receipt, that the service in question has been done. It doesn't have to have been done by that particular dealer, but they need to see proof that it's been done. If not, by resetting the light they're, in effect, validating that a service has been done when in fact it may not have been. Look at this scenario: An owner decides to sell his Ducati, but knows it needs the 12k service and doesn't want to pay the big dollars to get it done. He/she takes it to a local dealer and they reset the service light. Now that owner can sell the bike and profess that it's had all its maintenance done. Unsuspecting buyer now has a bike that needs a major service and has no clue about it. If the first owner had made a habit of this from day one, the new owner might be riding a bike that is a ticking time bomb waiting for belts to snap or who knows what failure could be lurking just around the next bend. The dealer who reset the light is in collusion with the negligent owner in this case, and certainly not someone you'd want to do business with. The dealers who won't reset the lights without proof of service are protecting both themselves and any future owners of bikes out there that are purported to be fully serviced and up to spec. Make sense?
Very true; however, you'd have to have little common sense if you didn't demand to actually see the service records and only went by the fact that an indication on the instrument panel was turned off.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you want to reset the indicator yourself after you do your work you can buy a VDST. They're about $200 and work with a computer. The one for the most recent ECU's works for Ducs from about 2003 on. Same one works for my 2006 st3s and 2007 1098. It also resets the TPS among other things.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Very true; however, you'd have to have little common sense if you didn't demand to actually see the service records and only went by the fact that an indication on the instrument panel was turned off.
A service record like any other document can be forged and/or replicated. If the intent is to deceive the buyer a "service record" is not going to do squat!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Why can't someone do there own service and turn the damn thing off! I did my 12,500. Sounds like the shop MG is a prik and needs to be told off. Thats freaking lame. People like that scare off brand loyalty. They make it seem like its a Bugatti Veyron, and no one, even you shouldn't touch it. I call BS!! Everyday I'm on my local motorcycle forum defending how easy a Ducati is to look after. They propel the stigma Duc's have. All though they have had a few bugs (so do all brands) doesn't mean they are impossible to care for. Shops that act like that do Ducati as a whole a disservice to public relations and future buyers.

You spend money on a bike... you shouldn't have to spend extra $$$ above market adverage for shop rates.

Some shops have there noises so high up their bums.... :mad:

In the words of Rodney King "can't we all just get along?"
</IMG>

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I understand preferring to turn it off, but just ignore it.

The icon is just a cute, little unoffensive wrench.

(That's "wrench", not "wench" for you speed readers.)

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Take the bike in to a shop, pull the fairing, seat, whatever to provide quick access to the plug. The service guy should then take the required two minutes to turn off the damn wrench. No, the dealer is not in "collusion" with the owner. That's a rediculous statement. The absense of the wrench provides no indication of vehicle maintanence history or condition. If the dealer won't take the time to do this, then take that into consideration the next time you have the urge to buy.

L

·
Registered
272 Posts
Take the bike in to a shop, pull the fairing, seat, whatever to provide quick access to the plug. The service guy should then take the required two minutes to turn off the damn wrench. No, the dealer is not in "collusion" with the owner. That's a rediculous statement. The absense of the wrench provides no indication of vehicle maintanence history or condition. If the dealer won't take the time to do this, then take that into consideration the next time you have the urge to buy.

L
agreed, that wrench is a reminder to the owner of the bike that its about time for a service, I don't know of any dealer that uses that as verification the service has been done. Also, it should be mentioned that that wrench can be quite finicky. I worked on two bikes in the last few weeks that the wrench actually came back on after I turned it off. There have been quite a few cases where the wrench never came on and I've heard of some where it never goes off. That wrench IMO should definitely not be used as verification of service, I sure as hell don't trust it that much.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts