Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to my bike for a ride on this beautiful day only to find that she wouldn't turn over. Took the battery to advance for testing and they said it's dead. This is the second battery that has died less that two weeks after purchasing it brand new. I'm thinking that she has a bad stator possibly? I can't really afford to change the stator, if that is the problem, until Spring. Is there a way for me to keep the battery healthy and my bike rideable until I can afford to change it out or should I just go ahead and put her in the stable for the winter? Thanks for the help.

Kevin
1998 Ducati M900

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If you have a bad stator the battery will be draining everytime you are running the engine.

Ducati replaced the stator in my bike a couple months ago. The bike was just over 1 year old with around 9k miles on it. They said it would have cost me around $600 just for the part plus 2 hours labor if it wasn't under warranty.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Follow that guide ^

If you bike isn't charging you're not going to keep a battery healthy long. You're just running the bike off the battery, and will kill the battery and leave you stranded. And after a bit of a that, you'll have a battery that won't take a charge anymore in addition to what ever else is the issue.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Stator partially died on my ST2 a few months ago. It would put out enough to keep the battery going if I turn the lights off and kept the revs over 4k, but otherwise drain.

If your stator is totally dead, you can get a few hours of running, more in your case as you don't have FI, but that's it.

To change the stator is pretty easy, you don't even need to drain the oil, just lean the bike against a wall on the clutch side.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts