Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background on me...

A total idiot when it comes to anything mechanical...and I mean anything...My wife won't even allow me to hang a picture. I just didn't get that particular talent. So...any work I have to do in this area typicaly turns into a disaster. I can pretty much keep my cars with oil and the tire pressures good...other than that...I'm at the dealer.

Also...just bought my first bike in 15 years. The only other one I had was a Honda Nighthawk 750 (back in the '80s) that had a driveshaft...and I was very young and didn't really care much about preventative maintenance etc.

So...with all that in mind. It looks as if I'm going to have to pay attention to a few things with my new 749. Oil, coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, and chain tension.

1. I understand how to measure all of the liquids, but what is the recommendation (products) for topping them off etc. (the manual only talks about oil, saying that the others should go to the dealer, this seems silly)

2. The chain tension instructions are pretty confusing (see the second paragraph above!)...I'm unclear exactly what I'm supposed to be measuring etc. Can anyone give me any tips/pointers on when and how to check this?

3. I've read a lot about cleaning and lubricating the chain...is there a consensus on how often and how (products etc.) to do this?

4. Anything else I should check regularly to ensure safety and longevity?

5. What exactly or how can you wash a motorcycle?? I know this may sound like a stupid question...but, I don't wash the dashboard or the engine of my car when I clean/detail it...are there things I just don't want to wash or get water on etc. Or can I just let loose and make sure I dry afterwards??

Thanks a ton!

Steve

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well I don't have a new superbike, but here goes...

1. I understand how to measure all of the liquids, but what is the recommendation (products) for topping them off etc. (the manual only talks about oil, saying that the others should go to the dealer, this seems silly)
It's in the owner's manual on page 85. You should check the fluid levels regularly (yourself).

2. The chain tension instructions are pretty confusing (see the second paragraph above!)...I'm unclear exactly what I'm supposed to be measuring etc. Can anyone give me any tips/pointers on when and how to check this?

3. I've read a lot about cleaning and lubricating the chain...is there a consensus on how often and how (products etc.) to do this?
I check chain tension every few months generally if I'm just street riding. Lubing once a month or so should be sufficient. If the instructions are confusing, ask you local service guy to demonstrate it for you. Use an o-ring specific chain lube. Which one doesn't really matter in my experience.

4. Anything else I should check regularly to ensure safety and longevity?
Fluid levels, tire pressure, and chain pretty much cover the basics... beyond that and you are generally going to need a trip to the dealer every 6200mi for valves and some other stuff.

5. What exactly or how can you wash a motorcycle?? I know this may sound like a stupid question...but, I don't wash the dashboard or the engine of my car when I clean/detail it...are there things I just don't want to wash or get water on etc. Or can I just let loose and make sure I dry afterwards??
Let it cool off and bucket wash it carefully. Don't get water on the dash or in the exhaust lol... don't use a high pressure washer. Just be careful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts