Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was notified yesterday by my local Ducati dealer that the noise coming from my 2012 Diavel was a main bearing failure and that I'm looking at at least 3.5K for a engine rebuild. But the good news is since the bike was at 14K miles, the valve service could be done at the same time.

This seems really abnormal for a bearing to fail at 14K miles, or am I wrong?

I requested this be escalated to Ducati USA by the dealership as every service (600, mid, timing belts, oil changes) have all been done by a Ducati dealer. The most recent oil change was done in April and nothing was stated about metal shavings being in the oil, noises, etc. Timing belts were done less than a year ago.

While the bike is out of warranty, I'm hoping Ducati will step in...this isn't a great look and just further pushes the stereotype that Ducatis are beautiful, but unreliable-- can't even hit the first valve service before an engine rebuild is needed.

And I was moments away from buying my second bike (2019 Multistrada Pikes Peak)... Which is obviously on hold until I see how Ducati corporate handles this.. here's hoping.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
888 Posts
Unfortunate event, maybe your documented services will save your ass, but don't hold your breath.

In case you pay from your pocket an engine swap could be cheaper. Then you can part out every good parts of your blown engine to help lower the bill.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya. Ducati came back and told me to kick rocks.

I have been searching for a new motor, but haven't found anything decent yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya. If it was a part that deteriorated over time like belts, wouldn't be that big of a deal. Bearings failed due to usage, not time.

And thanks. Well see how it goes :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts