Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone happens to know if and how much of the new bike components are made in China. I assume that since the bikes suddenly got really affordable for slackers like me (and because everyone else is doing it) over the past couple of years that lots of the parts would be made cheaply in China. If this were true, any idea on when the big shift started to happen?

I happen to have a 53 mercury and was so happy to see how many reproduction parts are available but I see a lot of those are made in China too! I can tell you the quality is terrible ie screw seem to strip pretty easy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If parts come from China it doesn't necessarily mean that they are poor quality. There are factories with the newest equipment and qualified personnel, so if the manufacturer demands high quality, he will get it.

I think the main problem is that some parts are made "cheaply" as you put it because the supplier orders them that way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If parts come from China it doesn't necessarily mean that they are poor quality. There are factories with the newest equipment and qualified personnel, so if the manufacturer demands high quality, he will get it.
This may not be entirely true. At the present time the Chinese government will not allow the construction of a high pressure steam plant with Chinese made steam pipes. They do not have a lot of faith in their own manufacturing processes.

·
9,757 Posts
I always say that in a global economy the country of origin does not matter as much as the quality standards.

For instance ISO standards are the same in China as they are in Germany, and DOT, TUV, CE, etc. testing standards are the same for Chinese parts as they are for German parts.

If a company can get the same part from China for less money then they would be stupid not to.

That said I have no idea which, if any of the parts in the current Ducati lineup are subcontracted to Chinese companies. I would assume that there would be little benefit ordering motorcycle parts from China since Italy has a huge industry and buying local would save Ducati big time in taxes and duty to boot... That said manufacturers such as Dainese do get materials from Asia, and they produce in Asia as well, but motorcycle parts and textiles are two very different fields with different tolerances in their specifications.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any cast parts have a good chance of coming from china.
It's like another poster said, it's built to the specs/QC of the buyer...

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
Any cast parts have a good chance of coming from china.
It's like another poster said, it's built to the specs/QC of the buyer...
You have to be extremely cautious when you rely on the Chinese to make your parts. Not only from a QC standpoint but also from a confidentiality standpoint. There are countless stories of deminishing standards and theft of information and processes. There is no recourse, nor patent protection unless you broker the relationship through Taiwan. Taiwan has enforceble treaties with Mainland China.

·
9,757 Posts
You have to be extremely cautious when you rely on the Chinese to make your parts. Not only from a QC standpoint but also from a confidentiality standpoint. There are countless stories of deminishing standards and theft of information and processes. There is no recourse, nor patent protection unless you broker the relationship through Taiwan. Taiwan has enforceble treaties with Mainland China.
and since we don't see ducati shift levers, kickstands, triple clamps, etc on chinese motorcycles then it's a good bet that ducati isn't outsourcing to china lol.

Maybe we should send an email to DNA and ask them :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd rather have a non-spreading tank made in china than the one we currently have! no? If they brought one out I'd buy it....sad really.

g.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you have a spreading tank issue? I didn't think anyone in Australia had that problem.
No mate I don't and like you say I have not heard of anyone here in Oz that has had this issue, but I don't particularly like the thought that maybe sometime in the future we may have similar petrol issues and suffer the same problem, my guess this will happen 1 day after my warranty runs out ;)

g.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I really hope that Ducati doesn't outsource like that. I pay a premium for having a Ducati but I want an Italian motorcycle.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I really hope that Ducati doesn't outsource like that. I pay a premium for having a Ducati but I want an Italian motorcycle.
Yeah, given the prices for oem parts, I'd say that they were made by very well dressed Italians in a sparkling clean factory in downtown Bologna with an espresso bar, cafe, free massage therapy, exercise room, swimming pool with hot tub, catered lunches and maid service for the employees.... I wonder if Italian maids wear those cute outfits like the French ones? :D

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Yeah, given the prices for oem parts, I'd say that they were made by very well dressed Italians in a sparkling clean factory in downtown Bologna with an espresso bar, cafe, free massage therapy, exercise room, swimming pool with hot tub, catered lunches and maid service for the employees.... I wonder if Italian maids wear those cute outfits like the French ones? :D
You do realize that coffee in Italy (espresso to those in other countries) costs only EUR 0.85?

Also, no such thing in Italy as an 'espresso bar'. It's just a bar. They sell coffee, beer, wine, etc. You will never find one that only sells coffee.

Tom

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
You do realize that coffee in Italy (espresso to those in other countries) costs only EUR 0.85?

Also, no such thing in Italy as an 'espresso bar'. It's just a bar. They sell coffee, beer, wine, etc. You will never find one that only sells coffee.

Tom
OK, I'm an American and I've never been to Italy, so of course, what do I know?

It's a JOKE... if you didn't notice...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any thoughts on why the bikes are much more affordable? Was it simply that they increased production?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Any thoughts on why the bikes are much more affordable? Was it simply that they increased production?
Who on earth said that they increased production ? Quite the contrary..........

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
LOL.....but they are very well paid and have a very strong union at the Ducati factory.

·
Registered
248 Posts
With the number of bikes Ducati sells per year, they don't have enough order qty to get a decent price from China manufacturers. Unlike all the Japs mega companies, many bikes are actually not made in Japan anymore.

Why are price going lower? Because manufactures are more efficient now, so quit slacking off, and get back to work

1 - 20 of 54 Posts