Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday i spend some time to make a heatshield for my 999.

The seat gets to damn hot when outside temperatures are above 25degrees celcius. Also in traffic the seat gets uncomfortably hot as many of you know. I searched google and multiple forum and saw just one solution which looks like my design.

So i decides to spend some time to make a prototype to see what results my design gave.

I personally don't like exhaust heat wrap because i like the look of my polished exhaust. Some guys tried gold exhaust wrap tape, this was not the way i decided to go.

So i started with some cardboard to make a good template for the aluminium.

After that, i cutted a aluminium plate of 2.5mm and this was the result:

As you can see i made 2 brackets to hold the aluminium plate. I used the 2 subframe bolts to mount this 2 brackets

The result :) :

Some underside pics:

and a pic of my bike

(in the background a ducati 750ss and a ducati 999s)

So i drove today in the city and the temperatures of the seat are much lower :) You still can feel some heat but i think the temperatures decreases with 20C -30C degrees celcius. Love this mod already, probably the best mod i did ever to this bike.

I hope you guys like this post.

Greets form Peter

·
Registered
250 Posts
If this part is flat, you should try a sheet of carbon fiber. would probably help more as it will not get as hot as the aluminum.
Only reason I am saying if its flat is because you can cut it yourself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The aluminium plate is not flat, but little curved. But i like you tip, its word trying this.

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Could be a nice tip. I am sure many of us look forward to the results of your experiment. Also, could you put a bit more info on your signature. Helps others to figure out what is going on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks If a infrared thermometer i will do some test today.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i measured some temperatures today.

I drove about 20 miles in normal street traffic. Then i let idle the bike for a while.
Outside temperature here was 22 degrees Celsius (71F)

Exhaust temperature 210 degrees Celsius (410F)
Heat shield temperature between 40 and 60 degrees Celsius(104-140F)

Seat temperature: Max temperature which i have measured is 32 degrees Celsius (89F), not one time higher than that. So i think this works.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just you know about carbon.
I have Termignoni and Sil motor exhausts. I live in Las Vegas.
I can ride the bike when it is 115 degrees out for an hour, get off the bike and touch the carbon can ( Carbon only) with my bare hand. Its warm.
If it were me and I tried the carbon fiber sheet. I would probably sand it down to a matte finish also as the clear coat if on the carbon may increase temp of the carbon, but still not as hot as the aluminum.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Just you know about carbon.
I have Termignoni and Sil motor exhausts. I live in Las Vegas.
I can ride the bike when it is 115 degrees out for an hour, get off the bike and touch the carbon can ( Carbon only) with my bare hand. Its warm.
If it were me and I tried the carbon fiber sheet. I would probably sand it down to a matte finish also as the clear coat if on the carbon may increase temp of the carbon, but still not as hot as the aluminum.

@77RRad does extra coats of resin also increase the temp on the carbon. Reason I am asking, I would like to add another coat of resin to my carbon canisters for a high gloss finish.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thank you for this thread, I'm all for this mod being a mandatory modification in general to any 999 owner as this result does work, and the heat does expel out of the side of the frame, rather than up and through the seat.

The other benefit I did not see you mention, but is a result of the lack of this mod, is the fuel flange grommet going bad, as they are known to on this bike.

I designed an older version of this concept a little while back, but like yours, the intention was to address the heat that comes up through the seat, and sheds the heat away from the fuel flange to avoid having to replace these things every couple of years, due to the temps ruining the component over time.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-supe...999-fuel-flange-fuel-tank-heat-shield-v2.html

Very tastey design! While I went with Steel, and Heat Shielding on the plates, the result, much like yours, resulted in lower temperatures in the seat and grommet area, and has benefited the bike greatly.

Every 999 owner should be aware of this mod, and implement it.

Nice write-up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have no idea what more or less resin does for heat.
I can tell you that I have some HMF cans that are cleared carbon and are hotter then the cans that are not cleared.
If I run across it I have temps written down from cleared and not cleared cans. its been 10+ years since I was trying to find a way to get my 998 cooler at the seat area like they are doing for there 999 now.
Also, I know there is a company that makes some carbon pieces for the 916-998 that fits into the triangulated part of the frame that also is to help with heat. Not sure if this exists for the 999.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Seriously, I live in a hot climate and riding this motorcycle, although at times makes you feel like a GP rider in reality it's a real pain in the ass, how could Ducati do this? Your Mod. sounds like a winner!

Spent this morning following your excellent write up. For no other reason apart that i had it, i used SS for the shield. I made a template from cardboard as you suggested and used an angle grinder to form the shield. This I covered with 'Moose Heat Shield' prior to fitment.

Second thoughts, if i knew how to use carbon fiber to reproduce a copy of the SS template, this i would do.

Thanks again for this excellent mod. I will post on reduced heat (I am sure) middle of September. I have an expensive issue with my ride at the moment.
Cheers :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
It's a winner!

A post I read today reminded me to come back and report the outcome of this mod. I would estimate that on a 999 it is an improvement of roughly 70+% in stop/go traffic.

Where as before it was unbearable, now i don't even think about it. That good.

Many thanks to the OP.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great thread here! I'm going to make one of these this spring for my 749 frying pan. Seat heat makes the bike a misery to ride to the point I was contemplating trading it on something else, but I'll give this a try along with a layer of high temp insulation.
Thank you! :smile2:

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Do you guys run a stock can or not?
I remember having the stock can on my 999r and was pretty warm but when I switched to a full zard any trace of heat was forgotten.
The 1198s was on the other hand a torture rack as far as heat, that's why at the end bought another 999, s in this case.
Most of the heat comes out on your leg from the verical cylinder header, a block off plate would help a lot but then the brake fluid reservoir should be relocated otherwise the fluid would get overheated by getting boxed in.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I run a 'Race Only' Termigoni can. The heat is substantially reduced in that it is no longer an issue (left leg sometimes gets warm). The heat doesn't come from the can to fry your a$$ anyway, its from the header/engine which is why this works. Hopefully the original OP will chime in.
Hey, for 50 euro, what have you got to lose?

No issues with heat and the rear brake reservoir.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts