Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running Motul 7100 20w50 in my '07 1098 for the summer,for the fall(cooler temps) I decided to switch to a 10w40 weight since it was due for a fluid change anyways,while at the dealer they didnt have any Motul 10w40 they only had Redline 10w40 motorcycle oil.I run Redline in my car so I decided what the hell.
After changing the oil I looked at the bottle and saw it was a MB rated oil not MA like the Motul,freaking out I called Redline and the tech support dude told me that the MB rating means it has more friction modifiers than MA and should be just fine,but he also stated I should use 20w50 for the desmo valve train.

1)anybody have issues w/MB rated oil?
2)anybody run 20w50 in colder temps?

Rich

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Oil is a sore subject with me.

Motul V300 or nothing else... here is why.

The V300 has a double ester formula. Ester is the stuff that keeps the oil stuck to metal. In most vehicles, that doesn't make a difference, but with the desmo, you want the oil to stay planted, so you don't have to worry about cold starts.

Also, you wanna use 10W40 on a Ducati Superbike. The 15W50 or 20W50 has WAY too many additives. 10W40 V300 is one of the best oils made, even in the Amsoil tests, on most of the testing its #2 below Amsoil... which says a lot because Amsoil is the best there is.

Anyhow, there are many guides to what the symbols mean on the internet. I wouldn't trust anything a dealer says. I beat the living shit out of my race motors and only use one oil. So when I take them apart and see zero wear, I know the oil is doing its job. I don't have to guess based on the marketing. ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
To add to this, the desmo valvetrain does not require a 20W50. Don't know about too many additives, but it's too heavy. Ducati has never recommended a 50 weight oil in any Testastretta or newer motor. You should be using a 10W40 all year, even need the most extreme summer racing conditions. Who ever told you this is clueless. Don't take our word for it...look in your own owners manual. Sounds like you haven't done that. Don't use the chart either, read the paragraph for recommended oil.

And like Tye said, Amsoil is the best and you can get it from me any time you like.

I run Amsoil 10W40 (and filter) in all three of my bikes and change the 749 & SS once a year and the Multi every 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The V300 has a double ester formula. Ester is the stuff that keeps the oil stuck to metal. In most vehicles, that doesn't make a difference, but with the desmo, you want the oil to stay planted, so you don't have to worry about cold starts.

Also, you wanna use 10W40 on a Ducati Superbike. The 15W50 or 20W50 has WAY too many additives. 10W40 V300 is one of the best oils made, even in the Amsoil tests, on most of the testing its #2 below Amsoil... which says a lot because Amsoil is the best there is.

Anyhow, there are many guides to what the symbols mean on the internet. I wouldn't trust anything a dealer says. I beat the living shit out of my race motors and only use one oil. So when I take them apart and see zero wear, I know the oil is doing its job. I don't have to guess based on the marketing. ;)
thanks for the input
I should be ok till I can scrounge enough money together to change the oil and filter again though right?the redline oil meets all the SG,SJ and SH ratings,
why dont you use amsoil it seems to be alot cheaper than 300v?

Rich

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
To add to this, the desmo valvetrain does not require a 20W50. Don't know about too many additives, but it's too heavy. Ducati has never recommended a 50 weight oil in any Testastretta or newer motor. You should be using a 10W40 all year, even need the most extreme summer racing conditions. Who ever told you this is clueless. Don't take our word for it...look in your own owners manual. Sounds like you haven't done that. Don't use the chart either, read the paragraph for recommended oil.

And like Tye said, Amsoil is the best and you can get it from me any time you like.

I run Amsoil 10W40 (and filter) in all three of my bikes and change the 749 & SS once a year and the Multi every 6,000 miles.
Doesn't your air cooled 800 SS call for 20W 50? My older 900 SS does call for that weight until the outside temperature is below freezing. I don't ride then, so it doesn't matter to me. Air cooled engines have larger clearances which I believe is the reason for the heavier oil.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts

;)
It's 300V, not V300... It is a fully synthetic oil, so that's great. If it has a very high film strength, that's also very good for motorcycles.

20W50 doesn't have any more additives than 10W40, as far as I know.

It's really hard to get any information from Motul since they don't have a US web site.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
No, my 800 calls for 10W40. So does the air cooled Multi. Ducati switched to tha around '03 or '04. The benefits to running as thin of an oil as the manfacter calls for are numerous...cooling, drag, efficiency, etc, etc.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Also motul 300V as great as it is a racing oil breaks down immensely after 1k miles.

·
A 748 Fanatic
3,155 Posts
Oil

I use 20w50 SG rated dyno oil - can only get it locally in Suzuki gallons.

The 748's love it.

The key is often changes, and always replace filter and always inspect the strainer screen and magnetic chip detector.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Getting back to the MA/MB question, what Redline says about their oil is correct, the MB oils do have a little more friction modifiers, but this is NOT a bad thing, especially for a high performance 4 stroke engine, its ONLY downside is that it may have a slight disavantage when it come to wet clutch, and may cause it to slip easier than a JASCO MA rated oil. On a Ducati with a dry clutch, the ester base Redline oil may be one of the best oils you can run in your Ducati engine.

I would run a 10w40 in a wet engine, & a 20w50 in a air cooled engine.
Most oil companies that make motorcycle oils have similer additive packages in their 10w40 & 20w50 oils.
Amsoil has a group IV PAO basestock, while Redline & Motul use a group V POE ester basestock, the ester basestocks can take higher oil temps & maintain viscosity longer, but the ester basestocks do cost more.
Aloha Alex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts