Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
900 ss 1996
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, and maybe there's a risk of asking for something that has been asked a hundred times before! I had to change my engine for a new one and got a M900 1998 from a friend and has installed it without any problems (well almost.....the M900 hasnt got any drive for the tacho but that was sorted with a scitsu tacho) exept for when im about to reconnect all the wires. most of it done but in my old engine there was only two yellow cables coming from the alternator. The M900 has three yellow ones! anyone here who knows how to connect this? remember from my days with Nortons that Lucas had a single phase alternator with two cables and a three pase one with higher output and three same coloured cables. i remember we fixed a 3-phase into a non 3-phase in some way but dont know how we did.
maybe there are other issues when exchanging for a M900 engine?

·
Premium Member
5,446 Posts
Just buy a later model rectifier from many models.

Yellow to yellow
red to red power
Green to ground
No more charging light ( no need really).
more wattage to play with so go but that heated riding gear or more electronics than a spy plane.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I concur with Belter lol--It's your bike you can do what you want, but if you let the Italian smoke out your fucked

·
Premium Member
5,446 Posts
I have heard of people using the later three wire rectifiers and not using a leg but not the other way around my guess is you would have a 350 watt charging system at that point so lower than you will want. Since there are many cheap and goor 3 wire rectifiers I see no good reason to not pick one up and have a better 550 watt(IIRC) charging system that will be more reliable than the Ducati electronica unit you probably have now.

·
Registered
900 ss 1996
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone! so if i buy a rectifier for a (later) ducati with three yellow cables there shouldn't be a problem?
forums are great!

·
Premium Member
5,446 Posts
It will take a very simple modification to adapt the wires. I updated my 94 m900 to a later motor just for the larger stator and am still running the 94 wiriing with a few modifications.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
i would bypass the loom and run the + and - from the reg straight to the battery. put a fuse in the + if you feel paranoid, i do by reusing the maxi fuse holder as i have the terminals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts