Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My M821 started making this awful noise recently. What do you reckon this sounds like? I checked the valves, all of them move freely. Next on my list is a rod bearing. Let me know what you think.

/Mike

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
What ever it is it is money you are spending by making it repeat it. Figure out ...

top end or bottom
vertical or horizontal
was it there before you changed belts or adjusted valves?

Turn the motor over slowly and by hand, any jamming could be you bending valves or damaging more components. If you spin a rod bearing it does not mean you will necessarily damage the crankshaft , but if you keep trying you will.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I can only imagine what that sounded like when riding....going by the noise...and it repeats twice per crank rotation...it's a rod bearing...when you do break it apart...please post pictures...how many miles? Recent service(s)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can only imagine what that sounded like when riding....going by the noise...and it repeats twice per crank rotation...it's a rod bearing...when you do break it apart...please post pictures...how many miles? Recent service(s)?
Thanks for the reply. Also what I feared it would be. Has done 29k km, so around 18k miles with oil changes every 6k km (3.6k miles), so too soon imo. Will have to consider if I want to take it apart (never gone further than valve adjustments so far) or look for a used replacement engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. Also what I feared it would be. Has done 29k km, so around 18k miles with oil changes every 6k km (3.6k miles), so too soon imo. Will have to consider if I want to take it apart (never gone further than valve adjustments so far) or look for a used replacement engine.
I took the belts off to only test the bottom end and slowly spun the wheel in gear, but it doenst even go one rotation on the crank before it stops at a very sudden block with a metallic clonk. Does this fit in your rod bearing verdict?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Assuming it's a rod...and your going to do an engine swap...when you have the engine out...remove the heads...you will have access to the cylinder and be able to remove that as well...from there...the culprit will be pretty obvious....if the cylinder is garbage I'd look at a new motor...but if it's good and just the lower end is fubar...I would be inclined to replace the parts...you have a motor that has a history...the ones for sale are the same ones that were for sale back in 2016...so be cautious

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Appear it's not compressing so I would guess you're hiting a bent valve.

Or maybe you removed the plugs?

·
Registered
648 Posts
One more thing... when buying a used motor...they will have anecdotal info on the bikes history... ask... but don't believe a word....don't bother with specifics...drill them on storage... how long has it been sitting...what's the relative humidity of their location...what kind of protection is in place in transit...I'd steer away from guarantees or warrantees and just hit them with an insultingly low offer....it's been shelved long enough...it's yours on inquiry...they know this....half off is your goal...and insurance....it will at least have the parts you need...good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts