Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Monster 797
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Unfortunately my first post here has to be about the issue I'm having about my Ducati. I'm going to post all the information I have on this issue I possibly can, I will respond to questions as thorough and quick as possible.

2017 Ducati Monster 797
13,xxx miles

Videos of what's happening:

Some backstory, I purchased the bike off of a close friend who took very good care of it. The issue started happening about a year into ownership between the time of him installing the SC Project CR-T exhaust and installing a Rexxer tune. He said the issue was intermittent and barely an issue but took it to our local Ducati dealership to help diagnose it. Unfortunately they couldn't find anything that could be causing the surging to happen because it was intermittent. When I purchased the bike I knew there was this issue and I was told it just needs a full dyno tune to fix it but I was still cautious as I knew it could be more than that, regardless I still got a good deal on the bike. I have torn the bike apart multiple times now to inspect things. Checked all the sensors I could and made sure all the plugs I could access were seated properly. I have checked the battery to engine ground and cleaned it just to be on the safe side. I replaced spark plugs, wires, and coils after this to be safe aswell. When I told the owner of the Ducati dealer he that the next step would be to detune the bike to complete stock just to rule that out and if that doesn't work then take it to another local shop to put it on the dyno. When we ran it the AFRs were everywhere. Starting from 11 running up to 16. Not a big deal as it was the stock map with that exhaust on it. (I have also tried with the stock exhaust aswell) but, he also stated that he was getting shocked by the handlebars and that's what he would look into next. I rode without gloves for about 30 minutes to get that to happen again and I got nothing. I'm now asking you guys to help me from here. My bike is again in pieces as I'm trying to look for anything suspect in the wiring but so far, nothing... Please help. I just want this bike to run, I have spent three months on this already almost everyday trying to figure it out.

Update 5/19/2020: I installed the o2 sensor eliminators, adjusted my clutch lever to spec, and tried riding with the gas cap open just to say I tried it, and no changes, still surging. Losing faith fast...

Update 5/19/2020 Checked the MAP sensor and hose like suggested, no blockage. I was then told to check my TPS. I tore it apart and (might've broken the plastic in the process) cleaned it. Popped it back in and started her up. She was idling a little high but I think that might be my fault for messing something up, nbg. I took it for a ride around the block and no issues at all, ran absolutely PERFECT. Still not 100% sure that it's fixed because I could only ride for about 10 minutes before my entire butt was soaked. Will update again with hopefully good news. As for now, she's running mint.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
generally the closed loop ecu bikes will surge to some extent. some are worse than others for no good reason.

did it do it with the rexxer reflash? did the reflash make it open loop and were the lambda sensor disconnected?

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Monster 797
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It did it before the bike was tuned and while the bike was tuned. The reflash did make it open loop and no the O2 sensors were not disconnected.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
you generally need to disconnect the lambda sensors with the conti eci afaik. otherwise it will continue to use them, even if it has been made open loop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts