Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I my Monster 696 red oil.light comes on when I on the bike .. turns off when I start the Engine. My engine gets really hot wheni start it. I saw the oil.level is not visible and just added a bottle.of oil its 20W-50 .. could not get the recmnded 15W oil. The oil came to top leveland thne gave my bike a shrt trip. when I tested the oil level by idling my engine I could not see the oil level anymore ... its cmpltly down. Red lightis behaving same way. I am first timebikeowner. Is this serious problem. Should i add more oil & try again... would the 20W oil affct my engine, the Ducshop in Atlanta say dont turn on the Engine ... should i Tow it to him

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
I would read the owners manual...

Oil light should be on when switch is on and engine is not turning. This means your oil pressure sensor is working.

If the light goes off when you fire it up, then all is good. If it is on while running, keep it off and tow it.

You check the oil by leveling the bike, not leaning on its side-stand. With the engine running, (and red oil light off), level the bike so its balanced (not tipping over one way or the other (keep a hold onto it)) and check if the max level is at or below the top oil level tick, not more.

If anything is different from the above, bring it yo your dealership.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Not enough to matter. I believe both are generally within specs. Check your owners manual for recommendation per you local temps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Sure, Recommended is 15W-50 .. could not get the same around my area so used 20W for now. Planning to go and change it soon .. I hope that doesn't spoil anything in the bike .. Maybe I need to ride a 60 Odd miles before I reach the dealer.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Really?...The engine should not be running when checking the oil:think::think::think:

·
Registered
969 Posts
The engine should NOT be running when you check the oil!
You have probably put too much in it.
With the engine OFF pull on the throttle handgrip to level the bike and check the sight glass.
The oil should be about halfway on the glass.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi , You mean 'pull on the throttle handgrip to level the bike and check the sight glass' to raise the throttle after switching on the bike and without starting it ? and level the bike and check Oil level.

Also one quick question .. Does Ducati M696 gets hot while riding. Like I feel it after some time near my knees.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just hold the bike level while checking the sight glass, if necessary get someone to hold the bike for you...it's as simple as that, no switching on the key or starting the engine.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Daved has a good idea. Get somebody else to sit on the bike and keep it level.
Look at the sight glass. The oil level should cover about half the glass.
If you have put an extra quart in it, the engine is overfilled and that can do damage.
If the oil covers the entire glass you will have to drain part of it out, or just drain it all out and start over.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:) Oh ok .. Very happy to hear it . I rode a smaller bike for around 12 years now .. TVS Apache 150 ... Never used to feel hot. Curious though why is M696 not hot when riding .. logically it should get hot when more RPM right ..

·
Registered
48 Posts
The bike is air-cooled, so you won't notice the heat so much at speed. Gets a little uncomfortable sitting at lights though. I've just gone from a 696 to an 1100 and it's even hotter :)

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Really?...The engine should not be running when checking the oil:think::think::think:
No not really, but if the sight glass is past full when stopped, but comes down within sight when running, then I wouldn't remove any of the oil. Slightly over-filled.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just my opinion but why would you put something like that on your bike?! The Ducati Passenger Grab Handles are around $150 and look great on the bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Aaron, The Ducati site says its for 696 Monster year 11/12 . I had as well Atlantamotorworld verify the same with Ducati. Only two bolts fit in and the subframe does not have the provision for the third one. It can probably be done by slicing off the last insert or not bolting it in but these guys were not ok to do it for me as they say it may create a liability. Either I take a risk and get it to be done by a outside mechanic or my selves.

Else if it doesn't work I am planning a different one like this:: Attach the tankring adapter -

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/6946

The Bags-Connection QUICK-LOCK EVO Tankring Adapter Kit (Ducati Monster 696 '08-10, 796 '10-, 1100 '09-) - TRT.00.640.20300.B : Then make some detachable straps and fix it to them .. serves dual purpose to attach tank bag and Passenger grab handles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:) lolllllllllllllllll .. you are damn right .. Its everything a Monster is not ... Wouldnt wanna take a fast decision though. Would be searching till I get a correct one as not planning to start on any highway rides for sometime now. Currently on daily commute so not very needed urgently.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts