Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, started up the bike just fine, let the bike warm up, and then started on my ride(oil light turned off at startup). After about 1/2 mile, the low oil pressure light went on. Got back home and cannot figure out why this would go on.

The oil level is full as per the indicator window.

Bike only has just over 2k on the clock.

I installed an oil cooler over 1000 miles ago(I think it had 800 on the clock) without any issues, leaks, or problems.

The last time I rode the bike was approx. 3 weeks ago on a 100 mile ride, no issues.

Bike has been sitting in garage waiting for a warmer day like today.

Is there a serious issue here or is it possibly a bad/dirty sensor? Any way to check prior to taking into shop? Ideas??

·
Registered
560 Posts
did you install the requisite check valve? If you did not, give Don a call at Modesto Duc, he will straighten you out. If you did, still give Don a call.

Mark

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the requisite check valve are you referring to the oil bypass spring that goes on where the oil filter screws on? Or something else??

·
Registered
195 Posts
More than likely, it's a bad sensor. On a relatively new engine, it's also possible that the pressure release valve is stuck open.

Barring these, the cause of low oil pressure is usually excessive wear, either in the oil pump itself, or in the engine. Both of these are highly unlikely on a new bike.

Another possible cause is if the oil is either underfilled or overfilled, both of which can cause the oil pump to pull air instead of oil.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil level is fine(according to the oil window), plus, it has been fine for several months without any issues....

Secondly, I know that the oil is pumping oil, because oil is making it into the oil cooler(was warm to touch after riding)

My only concern is that the dealership will hassle me on the oil cooler(since it isnt a DP one, its off an M750) and it wont be covered by warranty....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More than likely, it's a bad sensor. On a relatively new engine, it's also possible that the pressure release valve is stuck open.

Barring these, the cause of low oil pressure is usually excessive wear, either in the oil pump itself, or in the engine. Both of these are highly unlikely on a new bike.

Another possible cause is if the oil is either underfilled or overfilled, both of which can cause the oil pump to pull air instead of oil.
Where is the sensor on 696, and where is pressure release valve? Is the sensor the one on the top left side of crankcase?

Is a clogged oil filter and screen a possibility?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Where is the sensor on 696, and where is pressure release valve? Is the sensor the one on the top left side of crankcase?
The sensor is, I believe, the large, flat-topped plug-and-wire on the side of the top of the crankcase.

The bypass valve is part of the oil pump system.

Is a clogged oil filter and screen a possibility?
I wouldn't think so since increased restriction would increase oil pressure until the point at which it overcomes the bypass spring, at which point pressure should level out. I suppose it depends on where in the circuit the pressure sensor is in relation to the pickup screen and pump. Unfortunately, I don't have a diagram of the oil circuit for the Monster.

But luckily, it's easy to check both the screen and replace the filter, so I'd do both just in case. The screen is the huge allen-key-operated circle on the bottom of the right side of the engine. It uses a crush washer, so you might want to pick up a replacement if you're anal about these things.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sensor is, I believe, the large, flat-topped plug-and-wire on the side of the top of the crankcase.

The bypass valve is part of the oil pump system.

I wouldn't think so since increased restriction would increase oil pressure until the point at which it overcomes the bypass spring, at which point pressure should level out. I suppose it depends on where in the circuit the pressure sensor is in relation to the pickup screen and pump. Unfortunately, I don't have a diagram of the oil circuit for the Monster.

But luckily, it's easy to check both the screen and replace the filter, so I'd do both just in case. The screen is the huge allen-key-operated circle on the bottom of the right side of the engine. It uses a crush washer, so you might want to pick up a replacement if you're anal about these things.
Gonna check them this week.... I doubt they are clogged, I have no idea what would clog them so I am thinking it is not that.

I removed the oil pressure sensor and cranked the bike, oil was spitting out of the hole. I also removed the oil filler cap and cranked the bike, no oil came out.

Any of these an indication that the pump is working?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Could this be an air bubble in the system fooling the sensor? Is this possible after installing an oil cooler? Might be worth an oil + filter change or just a filter change to see if this solves the problem.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The oil cooler was a used one off an M750.

When I installed the oil cooler, the oil was completely changed(had to drain to install) and the filter was removed and re-installed in order to install the oil bypass spring.

The oil cooler has been on for 1000+ miles, so I am not sure why it would be causing a problem now...

·
Registered
307 Posts
You can put an oil pressure gauge on it and check it. +1 on the oil pressure sensor. These commonly go bad. Did it come on while stopped and off once revs came up?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The light came on while I was riding, and stayed on regardless of how high the engine was being revved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts