Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GF recently bought a M696. She lets me ride her bikes (heck, I keep them going for her). I believe the M696 would be fun at the track, but I am concerned about the air cooled motor at high RPM for extended times. Granted, you are revving the heck out of it for only 20 minutes at a time, though at the track the power band is used differently than on the road.

Experiences? Thoughts?

·
Registered
560 Posts
my wife used her 620 multi at the track no problems, I take it out and keep her spinning all the ****** time on the back roads it gets hot, but she still purrs! Almost 16k on that motor. I would be more worried about crashing my girlfriends bike rather than blowing it up!

Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts

Add an oil cooler. I installed (and prefer) the DP cooler kit but there is an aftermatket alternative available through Motwheels, not much of a price difference between the two.

You will also want to change out those front FF rated brake pads :rolleyes:

·
Registered
163 Posts
One of the instructors I teach with (Jerry Clark) uses his 696 for teaching the beginner and Intermediate groups. It is a great bike for doing this and it holds up just fine in "as is" stock trim.

I use a 2000 M900ie to teach the same groups and it works perfect also and that is with 27000 miles on the clock.

Just as a side note Jerry and I have done some "fun" lapping for play out in the advanced group sessions with the monsters and they can go pretty damn good trust me.

Cheers, Brew

·
Registered
150 Posts
My wife did 7 or 8 track days on her 695 just fine, riding in the B group. she was keeping up and passing as well. She now has an 848 for the track. just get her some good tires

·
Registered
279 Posts
Unless you just really want to track a Ducati look for a very used Jap 600 and make it a track only bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless you just really want to track a Ducati look for a very used Jap 600 and make it a track only bike.
I hear what you are saying. I was looking at used 600's. Then she up and decided her SV650 wasn't suiting her anymore, so she bought this 696. She likes it, but she knows it IS a motorcycle. She will let me take it to the track, why not?

I mean, I'd take my BMW K1200GT to the track, but they don't allow land barges.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I mean, I'd take my BMW K1200GT to the track, but they don't allow land barges.
check with the track day organizer. fishtail up at loudon has had cops on cop bikes. i asked them to chase me around the track with lights flashing but they declined.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
check with the track day organizer. fishtail up at loudon has had cops on cop bikes. i asked them to chase me around the track with lights flashing but they declined.

That is hilarious! I have seen a motocop rodeo and they were stunning at low speeds -- it would be great to seem them on the track!

I know my bike could be ridden on a track. But after a handful of track days on rented 600's, I'd rather go with something less, uh, titanic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts