Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

It's slowly starting to dawn on me that the amount of money I'm spending on my 600 is unlikely to be very recoupable once I'm off restrictions and want to sell the bike. So now I'm considering my options for raising the performance of the bike (which I'm already starting to find a tad lackluster).

I heard about the 680cc big bore kits that you can get from crowds like Fast By Ferucci, do they lift the bike's performance notably? And how would a big-bored 600 compare to something like a straight swap of a M900 or 900SS motor? It's around $1000 for a big-bore kit, I'm not sure how much a 900cc engine for a swap would cost.

Are there any other possible modifications to consider for bringing my bike into a higher class of performance? Also, how noticable is the step-up in performance from a M600 to a M900?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
900 motors are expensive out here, and now your 600 is learner legal it's worth more than it was before i'm guessing. i'd expect a local 900 motor and assorted required parts to cost you around $3,000 by the time it's running if you do most of it. that's a lot of money to spend to not get back. they're always worth more as a std bike with slip on mufflers for the sound. always.

the 680 kit will give it about 60hp up from 50hp. a 750 motor will have 65 or so, a 900 75. 900 generally has better forks (generally) and 2 front discs.

i'd sell it and buy a bigger engined one, as then you take full advantage of the 600 resale being comparatively better than 900 resale. there's some pretty cheap 900 around these days, even ie models. and they come well equipped for the money.

graphs show a 600 with mufflers in green, purple a 620 with mufflers and open lid, red a 750 with mufflers, open lid and jet kit, blue my high comp, cammed and big valve 750, yellow an 800 with open lid, pipes and tuning, pink a 900ie with mufflers and open lid and aqua a s2r1000 with mufflers, header pipe and open lid. power then torque.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brad, I didn't realise the engine itself would be quite so expensive. $3,000 seems to be about the difference you'd be paying to sell the 600 and upgrade to a 900 anyway, I was assuming the engine alone would be rather a bit cheaper than that - since it isn't, just selling the bike and upgrading definitely makes more sense.

The bike's been running really nicely since the 20,000km service you did on it, so thanks again for that.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
mark

if you call eurobrit - about the only place i'd expect you'll get an engine in aust, i think you'll be surprised how much they are. certainly much more than the usa prices.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
That torque graph says it all. The 600 and 900 are on different planets performance wise. Similar to the difference between my old 750 and new 1000 - just totally, totally different worlds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts