Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I find regulator oil? Is it expensive? 馃

Seriously, have a monster that is leaking oil through the regulator plug. The yellow wires acts like straws or small hoses, and the regulator being under the bike, it's leaking on the ground.

Tried a McGuyver fix, I pinched the yellow wires with a few tie raps and made a loop near the plug in hope to stop the leakage, but it doesn't work.

Any fix for this? Changing the stator would fix it I guess but could lead to the same problem.

I have not opened the left engine cover yet, maybe there's something to do inside, change a seal or the wires orientation?

Registered
i've done 1198/848 by pulling the plug apart, cutting the insulation back on the wires and covering the outer and core with glue lined heat shrink. not sure if it's been successful or not.

it's a very bizarre leak.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's a very bizarre leak.
Yep. Forgot to say I also pulled the plug appart and used silicon on the wires end.

Would be interested to know the outcome of the previous link and I noted Buhgaboo that you posted on this thread, do you think you can ask? 馃

Registered
Yep. Forgot to say I also pulled the plug appart and used silicon on the wires end.

Would be interested to know the outcome of the previous link and I noted Buhgaboo that you posted on this thread, do you think you can ask?

View attachment 985925
I sent him a pm....weather has been awful all week so he might not have been able to ride much ....if I'm seeing it correctly, the oil is coming from between the wire and the coating? Pulling the cover might be necessary to try and seal it at the source...it's an odd issue for sure

Registered
I've had this, on my 1098R i lost the front exhaust bung and the leaking exhaust super heated the battery box, regulator and belly pan, it was an expensive repair but all seemed well until i found a leak under my bike that came from the yellow stator wires, which of course run into the engine through the gland and are soldered onto the stator and i didn't see any damage on them so i just replaced what looked damaged at the time.

My mechanic took the engine cover off and soldered replacement yellow stator wiring on and terminated them into the plug and i haven't had an issue since.
It seems that too much heat will soften the insulation and the stator assembly is bathed in engine oil so once it starts it will eventually find it's way through like a conduit and the only way to fix it is to replace it.

Registered
I sent him a pm....weather has been awful all week so he might not have been able to ride much ....if I'm seeing it correctly, the oil is coming from between the wire and the coating? Pulling the cover might be necessary to try and seal it at the source...it's an odd issue for sure
Yes, my fix is still working! No oil leaks since I rerouted the wire where it comes out of the engine.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Registered
only started with the 1098, but first ones that the wires go down on too i guess. hadn't thought about the wire orientation out of the cover being art of it, almost siphoning it out. struck me as a bizarre issue after never seeing it before.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, my fix is still working! No oil leaks since I rerouted the wire where it comes out of the engine.
Thanks for feedback, will try it. I prefer to solder longer wires than opening the engine cover for sure, much less trouble.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it appears my McGuyver fix also did the trick, bike stopped leaking after a couple of days.

I used 4 tie wraps pinching the 3 yellow wires as hard as I could, one on the front, one in the middle and 2 on the rear of the bike. No more leaks.

Registered
I鈥檝e had this issue, I believe my duc mechanic added silicone on the top side, stator. It seems like it鈥檚 fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered

Spoke too soon, it's dripping again. I may try the silicon approach next...

Registered
Mine is finally bone dry! ....after replacing the stator. $60 on ebay, could have been worse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts