Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Just a heads-up. The other day, I had a brain glitch. Normally, every time I start my 2012 Monster 1100 EVO I follow my usual procedure of turning the key, flipping on the fuel, and then pressing the starter button. For whatever reason, my brain malfunctioned in an Advance Auto parking lot, and I turned the key, held down the starter button, and flipped the fuel switch. Don't ask me why; it just happened. Anyway, that little mistake blew out my starter solenoid. Though I keyed-off and tried to restart my bike a couple times, it just went "click-click-click-click-click" when I'd press the starter button.
The bike still bump-started just fine (with a mad wheelie), but I had to replace the starter solenoid to get it going again. Luckily, it was a $30 part off eBay.

Just so's ya' know.

-I

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
you mean you flipped the kill switch from off to run while you were pushing the starter button?

simple fix, don't use the kill switch. i don't get why people use it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
you mean you flipped the kill switch from off to run while you were pushing the starter button?

simple fix, don't use the kill switch. i don't get why people use it.
I always used the kill switch. What do you rely on? The side stand and killing the engine in gear? I thought most riders parked their bikes in neutral (although, I don't).

My current bike has a rather unique start/kill switch but I still use it. Even the starter button changes to another function once the bike is running. It's kind of strange pressing the start button to turn the heated grips on and off. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I think he thinks that's what the kill switch does?

PhilB
I was wondering that myself as well.

All the kill switch does is prevent starting the bike or kill the engine if it is running (at least on the Monster-on the Multi it does a couple more things completely unrelated to the fueling system). The fuel pump switches on when you turn the ignition key to the on position.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
The solenoid is a magnetic coil that moves a plunger into a pair of contacts to send current to the starter. Either the coil has a battery current or it doesn't. The clicking indicates inadequate current or a bad contact. Inadequate current (1,battery depleted) will not move the plunger with enough authority to close the contacts. Often this is a simple connector problem (2. connector problem) on Ducatis, easily cured. In any case, your experience is coincidental and not related to the sequence of button pushing. If you could ruin the solenoid that way, there would need to be an interlock to prevent it but since all you can do is close the circuit or not close the circuit, there is no need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts