Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I should throw this out there to the information pool...

Without going into too much detail, I've had more than my fair share of problems with my 2010 MTS 1200s Touring! Biggest problem was that my ride has always been very lumpy at low revs. You know the story; hesitating and lurching down around 2.5K-3.5K. I was also having a problem with what I call 'power burps' at higher revs, i.e. after gently rolling off a steady throttle, I'd feel the power momentarily drop and then kick back in. Very annoying! Added to this I was getting WAY too much popping and banging from the exhaust on decel (I have the full Termi exhaust kit with DP ECU).

Anyway, that last problem I had was the engine was burning oil! Turned out to be an out of spec vertical cylinder. This led to a whole top-end rebuild, i.e. new cylinders, pistons, rings and seals. The heads were also sent out to have the valve seats re-lapped and all 4 exhaust valves were replaced. This solved the oil burn, but I ended up with a new problem!

The ride was worse than ever! More lumpy, more 'power burps' and to top it all, the engine idle was way too high (1600-1800 RPM!) and it couldn't be adjusted! Since I'm basically riding a 'research bike' by now, the details went up the chain to Italy and they authorized a new set of throttle bodies!

Now the good news. The new throttle bodies are on and the MTS is completely transformed! Still early days yet but after a handful of short rides, I can report the bike rides as smooth as silk now! The idle is back where it should be. I can ride at slow speed in 3rd gear with the revs around 2.5-3K and there's no sign of any hesitation or lurching! No more 'power burps' and virtually NO popping on decel. Just the very occasional quiet pop that you might expect from a racing exhaust system.

Complete night and day experience. I hope it stays this way. It's beginning to look like the ride-ability problems I had were due to the old throttle bodies. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's encouraging and congrats on the smoother ride. I wouldn't mind getting mine smoother as well although I hope I don't have to go through all that you did. Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
interesting, I wonder if there will be a service bulletin for throttle bodies on the 2010 models sometime in the future.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Would love to see them side by side to see what they've changed.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
good to hear, Turbo...enjoy and thanks for the post.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Interesting - i was thinking that i also may have a throttle body issue on my 2011. I just had my 7500 mile service done and asked if synching the throttle bodies was part of it, or a good option. They told me that they don't even want to mess with them as it can create more problems than it solves. Seemed strange to me, as my Aprilia was very sensitive to keeping them synched up.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don't know if the new throttle bodies are physically different than the ones they replaced, or whether the old throttle bodies were just faulty in some way. I do know that I had the old throttle bodies carefully balanced at the shop once and it didn't make much difference! After the balancing, the bike was a little smoother overall, but it was still lumpy at low revs and I still had the occasional weird 'power burp' issue!

My 2010 MTS was rough from day 1. I'm inclined to believe I just had bad parts on it and over time, better parts have been fitted. It will be interesting to see if Ducati acknowledge a general issue with the existing MTS throttle bodies, but I wouldn't hold your breath!

I'll try and find out from my shop if the replacement throttle bodies have a different part number than the originals. That usually indicates a revision in the design. :)

I just hope the bike stays smooth! :D

Also, I should add that I'm a test case of 1 so far. My throttle bodies have been replaced and the bike is transformed, but someone else with an issue needs to have new throttle bodies fitted and get the same result. Until then, it could be an amalgamation of all the work I've had done recently that has fixed the ride quality!

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Geeze glad all is good for you , they should kiss your butt , to make you guys happy, the brave ones that rolled the dice and bought the first ones...
Good for you for having faith and the stick to itness, to get things sorted out...
Sad that it took sooo long for someone to take the necessary time to sort things out.
Ducati should start your NEW 2 YEAR warantee from now...
How many miles are on it now?

How much harping at the service manager does it take for them to finally listen and recogonize that there is a problem? Or how much harping does a service manager have to do to get DUCATI to listen and react to a problem...
We all paid good money for a product that should be as good as any other same model product...
Complete BS that some have suffered thru sooo much difficulty getting the bikes to run as Advertised , and expected...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Without wishing to bore everyone more with ore of my my saga...there are so many issues with the fueling on this bike, (including very mismatached injectors...I am now told) that I dont see any other way of getting an idea of what's going on other that getting it on a good dyno (good dyno man) and getting a good look at each cyliner separately. (ie, no point in a dyno run unless he sticks his probe into each header pipe...NOT just sticks the probe up the exhaust). There were very significant differences between the Vert and Horiz cylinders and until that get's sorted, you can't have a smooth bike.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
With an early 2010 model I'm starting to think I need to either sell the bike soon or quickly get another 12k miles on it (I'm only at 8500) to make it break or something.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How many miles are on it now?
I have 26,000 miles on my 2010 MTS now. Despite all the issues, I have no regrets. Even with the lumpy ride issues, it has still been a blast to ride this beauty! I'm in this for the long term. I'd love to see what happens the next mile after the ODO reaches 99,999 miles. :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
...and to top it all, the engine idle was way too high (1600-1800 RPM!) and it couldn't be adjusted! Since I'm basically riding a 'research bike' by now, the details went up the chain to Italy and they authorized a new set of throttle bodies!
You probably had a bad TPS causing your issues and high idle. It's integrated into the throttle bodies and cannot be replaced by itself so the whole unit has to be replaced. Really wasteful as a TPS is a relatively inexpensive part.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thought I should throw this out there to the information pool...

Without going into too much detail, I've had more than my fair share of problems with my 2010 MTS 1200s Touring! Biggest problem was that my ride has always been very lumpy at low revs. You know the story; hesitating and lurching down around 2.5K-3.5K. I was also having a problem with what I call 'power burps' at higher revs, i.e. after gently rolling off a steady throttle, I'd feel the power momentarily drop and then kick back in. Very annoying! Added to this I was getting WAY too much popping and banging from the exhaust on decel (I have the full Termi exhaust kit with DP ECU).

Anyway, that last problem I had was the engine was burning oil! Turned out to be an out of spec vertical cylinder. This led to a whole top-end rebuild, i.e. new cylinders, pistons, rings and seals. The heads were also sent out to have the valve seats re-lapped and all 4 exhaust valves were replaced. This solved the oil burn, but I ended up with a new problem!

The ride was worse than ever! More lumpy, more 'power burps' and to top it all, the engine idle was way too high (1600-1800 RPM!) and it couldn't be adjusted! Since I'm basically riding a 'research bike' by now, the details went up the chain to Italy and they authorized a new set of throttle bodies!

Now the good news. The new throttle bodies are on and the MTS is completely transformed! Still early days yet but after a handful of short rides, I can report the bike rides as smooth as silk now! The idle is back where it should be. I can ride at slow speed in 3rd gear with the revs around 2.5-3K and there's no sign of any hesitation or lurching! No more 'power burps' and virtually NO popping on decel. Just the very occasional quiet pop that you might expect from a racing exhaust system.

Complete night and day experience. I hope it stays this way. It's beginning to look like the ride-ability problems I had were due to the old throttle bodies. :D
That's great news, I'd kill to describe my ride like that.
Do you know if they also replaced the fuel injectors as part of the throttle body replacement??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts