Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this past weekend, I took a trip down the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I'm used to just throwing my Cortech sport luggage on the SV, and having plenty of room for what I take down, and anything I buy while down there. I can also pack food, rain gear, etc.

Well, there's a problem with my S1k... the luggage doesn't work. :( Because of the shape of the tail, the saddlebags don't fit well, and the tail bag won't stay upright. Even with the bungees tightened, it's still not stable.

Here's a pic of the tail bag on the S1k... in front of Grave Digger, no less. :p

The tail bag stayed put for the whole trip, except for the last few miles, when it decided it would be more comfortable riding on the side of the tail, while doing 80 down the interstate. :eek:

That being said, what do you all do for luggage?

I have a backpack, but space and weight are limited.

I tried taking the cowl off too, but that doesn't seem to yield better results with my luggage either.

I thought about the Ducati luggage rack, but I'm not sure it would create a good mounting spot for the luggage. Seems like it would be too far back.

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Get the Cortec saddlebags.
from Newenough.com
It works well on the sc tail.
Actually yours is a bi-posto right?
If so the tail bag as well as the saddlebags will fit better with the seat cowl cover off.

So this past weekend, I took a trip down the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I'm used to just throwing my Cortech sport luggage on the SV, and having plenty of room for what I take down, and anything I buy while down there. I can also pack food, rain gear, etc.

Well, there's a problem with my S1k... the luggage doesn't work. :( Because of the shape of the tail, the saddlebags don't fit well, and the tail bag won't stay upright. Even with the bungees tightened, it's still not stable.

Here's a pic of the tail bag on the S1k... in front of Grave Digger, no less. :p

The tail bag stayed put for the whole trip, except for the last few miles, when it decided it would be more comfortable riding on the side of the tail, while doing 80 down the interstate. :eek:

That being said, what do you all do for luggage?

I have a backpack, but space and weight are limited.

I tried taking the cowl off too, but that doesn't seem to yield better results with my luggage either.

I thought about the Ducati luggage rack, but I'm not sure it would create a good mounting spot for the luggage. Seems like it would be too far back.

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
the luggage rack kills the sporty look ,but that being said it aint a bad looking rack at that.very very usefull.I gave up on the sport look and put the rack and the ducati saddlebags,now traveling is a pleasure.I do however have a GT

·
Registered
95 Posts

Suggestions?
Try hooking the bungees for the tailbag down lower. I hook the front ones to the frame in front of the passenger foot pegs and the rear ones to the loop thing that goes around the passenger footpegs when they're folded up. You have to stretch them pretty good, but I've never had a problem with them slipping off like that.

When I just hook under the seat like in your picture, mine tends to slide off the back under hard acceleration.

As far as the tail bags, I have no problem with them fitting when they're completely full. I did have to shorten up the part between them that goes over the seat quite a bit (it's velcro). It also helps when they're really full/heavy to have the tailbag clipped to them to keep the outside edges from sagging.

I unfortunately don't have a picture of just the tailbag, but here's a couple with the tail bag and saddle bags:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
another thing that will help: use some straps vs. just the bungees. if you just use the tail bag, without the throwovers to stabilize it, the bungees will always stretch (no matter how tight they are) and allow the bag to rotate around the cowl and/or slide back. if you use a cordura strap on the sides, it doesn't have to be too tight but it will hold it securely. i went from the attachment points on either side of the carry handle to the frame just below the seat - near the key/in front of the shocks - on both sides).

with the saddlebags, it's really just a matter of adjusting the velcro top straps to get them to sit level - you'll be just about at the end of the velcro, but with enough to get a secure grab. then use the nylon buckle/safetky straps to attach to the frame below the seat in front of the shocks (for the front of the bags) and behind/under the tail (for the back of the bags).

hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Try hooking the bungees for the tailbag down lower. I hook the front ones to the frame in front of the passenger foot pegs and the rear ones to the loop thing that goes around the passenger footpegs when they're folded up. You have to stretch them pretty good, but I've never had a problem with them slipping off like that.

When I just hook under the seat like in your picture, mine tends to slide off the back under hard acceleration.

As far as the tail bags, I have no problem with them fitting when they're completely full. I did have to shorten up the part between them that goes over the seat quite a bit (it's velcro). It also helps when they're really full/heavy to have the tailbag clipped to them to keep the outside edges from sagging.

I unfortunately don't have a picture of just the tailbag, but here's a couple with the tail bag and saddle bags:

Has anyone tried this set up on a mono with 2 into 2 termis?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts