Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a 400 mile trip with a pillion. Any suggestions for luggage besides a tank bag? I was thinking a trunk that would attach to the rear bar but i do not know any merchants that supply it specifically for the 02' 900 ss. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Ventura Rack..

I'm sure you can get them in the states.. I think Dri Rider also and Oxford perhaps??

Jo and I recently did about 5000 km on my 01 SS.. that bag is about 55 litres.. an the tank bag can expand but it gets a littl larger for my liking.. At that size it's about 30 litres I'd guess.

This photo was back in August when we did about 1500 km as a test hahaha..

HOW far were you riding?? Oh.. 400 miles?? Can't you just buy a new pair of undies each at the other end???

Any racking system to suit 98 SSie on will be the same.

In accordance with the prophecy...

Mal

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mal, thanks for your help. is the ventura rack universal? and where did you get your side markers?

·
Registered
989 Posts
No they are make and model specific. Well the 98 on SSie will fit the 750ss, 900ss, 800SS and 1000ss. BUT only that 'current' shape. Different kits for earlier and other models.. do a google and check Ebay.. that's where mine came from.

The flashers are from a car here in OZ and are NOT plug and play.. there is a little work involved plus drilling 3/4" holes in the fairings. I can swap back to std but will need to repair the seat cowls..

In accordance with the prophecy...

Mal

·
Registered
294 Posts
A ventura rack is a pretty good solution. Not sure what your budget is, but I would caution you on two things; a) passenger comfort and b) the necesity of securing your luggage. Soft luggage can sometimes be a little iffy when cinching it up, and the straps and mounting points can sometimes interfer with your passenger. The ventura seems to solve those issues.

FWIW...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am planning a 400 mile trip with a pillion. Any suggestions for luggage besides a tank bag? I was thinking a trunk that would attach to the rear bar but i do not know any merchants that supply it specifically for the 02' 900 ss. Any ideas?
One very good option is the Ortlieb product. They are a very nice, high quality set of soft luggage. Totally waterproof and fit the carbie 900SS very well and I'd presume (don't know for sure) the '99 + SSs as well. $180 for the pair. Here's the site:

http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=59&cid=2

Ed's got a nice review on his 900SS FE site. Ride with them two up, Iron butt tested, fit a Shoei full face, the Ortliebs can do it all.

DISCLAIMER: They are a "full bodied" set of bags. If it's sleek and stylish you are after, these may not be for you.

Tim
'98 900SS FE
'96 900SS SP (rolling parts bin)
'78 900SS
'74 750 Sport

1 - 7 of 7 Posts