Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, next on the hit list for my beloved SS is a shot in the blue. I am hoping to get a pair of saddle bags for this older lady. Who what and where please?

I know all the drawbacks to touring on this bike, i do it often actually, but I hate carrying my weeks worth of clothing, my few luxuries, a small cooler for my insulin, (diabetic) and the rest of my junk in a back pack and a tank bag. The tank bag is ok, but it is in the way. It changes the feel of the bike for me and I simply want to let the bike do the work. I love this thing, and even after buying a 2014 Monster this is still the bike I will swing over first. Love the monster, but with the air cooled motor and dry clutch and a full Remus exhaust on it, it is simply a dream ride for me.

Any help finding racks and bags would be great, and thank you folks in advance. :nerd:

BlipontheRadar....

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
I've been a big fan of Ventura pack racks for years - Motorcycle luggage - panniers - tank bags - Ventura - I like that they keep the load in line with the rider, which keeps the bike narrower, making it easier to filter between lanes (when needed) and giving better aerodynamics then saddlebags. You can use one or two bags on the rack - either one genuine and one 'other', or two genuine Ventura bags - with one bag (lightest) sitting on the back, and the other (heaviest) sitting on the pillion seat position. You can even get creative at strapping things like bedrolls/pads on the side of the load.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
I would love to tour on my SS. Color me jealous.
Heheheheh- just not enough road to tour on eh? That's the bugger about living on a small island... ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a set for my 2003, and never used them. I ended up switching over to track riding instead. The unused bags are in my garage. I can try to find them at lunchtime and reply with the info here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok, I just checked my garage during lunch and found the ones I had bought for my 800ss. The saddlebags are Nelson Rigg CL-900 (still have the tags on so it said it on there). I'd link to them, but the nelsonrigg site doesn't seem to have them listed anymore -- it has CL-890 and CL-905. Appearance-wise they look like the CL-890 might be the closest.

When I bought them I also got a topbag because I never rode with a passenger. I ended up using this instead of the saddlebags before switching over to track riding. The one I have looks like the CL-1040-TP on the nelsonrigg site, but I didn't see a label/tag on this to be positive.

I'll probably be throwing these on ebay soon enough as I'm starting to pack for a cross country move and like I said since switching to track riding, I just don't need these.

I hope this info helps you!

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Those Nelson Riggs are a nice medium sized set of bags. I have a set that came with a bike I bought. They're 810 cubic inches per side, or 13.25 liter. And I haven't got them into the rear wheel on my little Multistrada yet. ;)

Those Dainese are nice because they can expand when you need extra room. From 22 liter to 30 liters.

Reactions: kevinkmp

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Heheheheh- just not enough road to tour on eh? That's the bugger about living on a small island... ;)
It's way too small here, only a couple of hours to navigate the whole thing. :crying:
It's beautiful but lacks a lot of driving variety. The majority is 35 mph roads where people have no particular place to be and are just obstacles. You really have to adjust your expectations if you are used to good driving roads.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
OH, Yeah, My heart weeps for you, poor soul stuck living in a tropical paradise. ? I bought some sport bike bags , GT, or something like that. They seem nice but heavy. They are short, depth wise, and that keeps them from wandering into the tire, I guess. We'll see.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Easy, these ortlieb bags are the best and most universal things I've used. Throw something soft underneath to protect your paint and that's it. The newer ones have much more cushion, I've heard...these are 8 years old. Still 100% waterproof.

You can even fit a passenger if you don't put anything on top. I usually have a large ortleib duffle strapped up there for longer rides.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 M900Sie, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
525 Posts
As an additional tip, i picked up a second set of tailpiece saide panels for 20 euros on Ebay, i fit em for touring with my Hein Gericke saddle bags so i dont have to worry about scratching the paint.

;)

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Hope the OP doesn't mind me jumping in here and broaden the discussion a little...
I have high pipes, what kind of options are out there?
I know about the Ventura setup, looking for a less permanent installation.
I've thought about gluing some of the new silicone sheets to the part of the soft luggage that would touch the pipes but haven't gotten that far yet.

·
Registered
2000 M900Sie, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
525 Posts
Hope the OP doesn't mind me jumping in here and broaden the discussion a little...
I have high pipes, what kind of options are out there?
I know about the Ventura setup, looking for a less permanent installation.
I've thought about gluing some of the new silicone sheets to the part of the soft luggage that would touch the pipes but haven't gotten that far yet.
I have saddlebags and high pipes (SIL MOTO). I get the bags set high so they sit on the body work, no issuea with the pipes at all. Luggage roll on top of that.
Chris

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just picked up a Kriega US20 tailbag. I'll be able to use it on both the Monster and the SS. You can attach a 10L bag to it on each side, kinda like saddlebags, if needed. The link below has a picture of all three bags on a bike. They can all be purchased separately.

UScombo40 DryBag - Kriega

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I have saddlebags and high pipes (SIL MOTO). I get the bags set high so they sit on the body work, no issuea with the pipes at all. Luggage roll on top of that.
Chris
Could you post a couple of pictures?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts