Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I have the desmoquattro maintenance guide and I think it is very good. It goes over all the maintenance areas of the bike by a guy that does it day to day. Thumbs up from me.

Mike

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just got the third edition from motowheels. It's a great manual for the "DIY". The cool thing is that every manual has something different. So as not to be redundant.

Best Novel ever.....(what, it's not a novel)....It is to me. :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
SouthsideDuc said:
It's very useful, but not all inclusive. You will need a Hayne's to go with it if you want to be complete.

Tony
+1. The LT's are very good for maintenance, and tips. But for serious work you will need a haynes [and a factory manual too, in my opinion]

·
Registered
463 Posts
blade625CT said:
+1. The LT's are very good for maintenance, and tips. But for serious work you will need a haynes [and a factory manual too, in my opinion]
That's one of the first thing LT Snyder talks about in the preface of his third edition book.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
So does the latest edition add more than is in the factory manual or is it just a Ducati maintenance for dummies type book? What value is added? Tricks, short cuts, mods?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
The manual is very informative.
If you do just a couple of maintenance items or repairs instead of taking your bike to the shop, it has paid for itself!

As a supplement I also have the parts manual with the exploded diagrams, which really helps me, especially the first time I tackle a maintenance item or repair.
I also have a copy of the factory service manual, which also adds a lot of info... but i spend a lot of time searching for the English paragraphs lost in the mix of several other languages.

On a side note, I ordered some parts from him a few months ago. Some small fasteners were missing. Either not originally in the package, or lost through a small hole in the package from some rough handling by the postal workers or their machinery.
I sent him an email to let him know the situation. In a matter of days replacement fasteners were in my mailbox !!! The manner in which he conducted himself to take care of me has earned him a loyal customer!

max

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thanks that type of customer service speak volumes. It is not always the big sales that make the most money. Will order it from some where. Thanks

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I sure will, did not know he sold direct. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Just checked on the Haynes's site, that manual is 9 years old. I'm sure that there is still quite a bit that is relevant but is there any other more updated manual other than a service manual?
Nothing has changed on the 916 series, so why update it?

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I'm just starting to do serious work on my Duc, and I find that LT's manual, the Haynes (especially for frame/fork/suspension issues), and the factory service manual (torque values/other specific questions) are all complementary rather than redundant.

Beyond that, I find that many of the articles posted in Duc-specific sites (ducati.ms hall of wisdom, http://ducatisuite.com/, http://www.mad-ducati.com/, http://www.ducatiwiki.net/index.php?title=Main_Page, etc.) to be of great value for specific remedies. I've taken to downloading (or copy-paste to a ms.word file) any item I find of value, printing it and putting it into a three-hole punch binder that has become my "4th" manual for my Duc. This binder is now three inches thick and growing! I figure that if I can't find the answer to my problem in one or another of my four manuals, I generally can google the problem in one or another site and come up with an acceptable, often elegant solution.

While I've spent a bit of money on tools and maintenance products, I've already seen that others not engaging their Duc-s 110% are occasionally finding very unattractive consequence to their inattentiveness.

Ron

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
I've dealt with LT on a few separate occassions and he's come through for me every time. His book(s) are great ... even if you just read 'em on the can ... which I do do (pun intented) from time to time. :D

Seriously, though, he's a great guy to do business with.

The 2V manual was great for answering basic questions (torque values and procedural stuff) on my Hypermotard and I am going to get my 749S the 4V manual for Christmas...

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I've found the Haynes manual to be informaitive but if limited value for my 749 due to the lack of specific information on the testa engine. LT's manual plus the factory service manual complement each other in my experience. LT's manual gives a first hand DYI look and tips to the maintainer. The factory manual gives the hard design procedures and specifications. Plus both have great pictures and diagrams that help guide you. If one doesn't have what you need it will be in the other. LT is a first rate and worth your time and business.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts