Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Lowering the Bars

3395 12
Well, I'll try this again, since I was somehow automatically logged out and lost everything I had tried to post......

With the new forum software, I seem to have lost all of my previous PMs that I was saving and I forgot who asked me about this, so, I'll just post the answers here (is this forum becoming less user friendly?)......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A fellow member asked me about the dimensional differences between the stock bars on the early model ST bikes and my Helibar adapter/Ducati clip-on arrangement. I finally got around to making some measurements, and here is what I've gotten:

Lower: 2"-2.5"
Pull back: 1"-1.5"
Bar length: 1" longer than stock
Angle: Bars are now angled more downward

Here's a pic of the modification with the upgraded (2002) master cylinders on my 1998 ST2:

Because of the difference in the angle the bars are and distance from the center of the fork, my modified bars start out further forward than the stock ones, but I have them pulled back closer to me. I actually have adjusted the bars and the fork locks so I barely have enough room between the bars and the tank for my thumb. Also, my turning radius has been reduced, but I'm normally not trying to manuvere in a parking lot, so this is not noticeable. A frontal view of the bike, with the bars angled down and the mirrors angled upward, the bike would remind me of a Star Wars "X-wing" fighter in a rearview mirror.

Here's a side view to give you an idea of the drop and pull-back:

In case you can't view the pictures, or something happens to them with the photo hosting website, I'm also attaching the photos.

Attachments

• Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
westyed said:
Desmo Demon, thanks for the pix. My ST4s was purchased with Heli bars. So, I can use my Heli adaptors, paired with 916 clip ons?
Yes. The Helibar adaptors are for 50mm clip-ons. The factory 748/916/996/998 clip-ons will clamp right on to them. You can use regular SBK bars, but I wanted to retain the original bar-ends from the ST2, which is why I had some bar-stock turned down to 22mm and had the ends drilled and tapped for the original bolt.

Also, unless you use factory bars, you'll have to either drill the holes in the bars for the pins in the controls, or grind the pins off of the controls. The pins prevent the controls from rotating or sliding on the bars. I ground my pins off, and once the throttle slid down and lightly was touching the bar end. This acted like "cruise control", as I had to physically move the throttle back to the closed position. Needless to say, this was unsafe and I slid it back up, torqued it a little tighter, and have not had any further problems with it in the last 5000 or so miles. The lower bars really seem to help in the tight twisties, which is where my ST2 spends most of its time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lowering the bars

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately it is not applicable for the new version of ST family (my one is ST3sABS 2006), therefore I wonder if anyone knows how to lower the bars, since I'm tall enough thus my fingers pointing down.
In addition this bike arrived with a little peg in the bar, that stabilizes the bar at a given position (like the Monster). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
179 Posts
desmo said:
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately it is not applicable for the new version of ST family (my one is ST3sABS 2006), therefore I wonder if anyone knows how to lower the bars, since I'm tall enough thus my fingers pointing down.
In addition this bike arrived with a little peg in the bar, that stabilizes the bar at a given position (like the Monster). :rolleyes:
I'm assuming you mean lowering the bars lower than the ~5/8" they are adjustable?

One way is to trade your forks for a set of '98 ST2 forks (fully adjustable, less the TiN) and put on an pre 2004 ST upper triple bracket and use your stock clipons. This would leave your adjustability intact but lower the adjustable range by about 1".

I have a pair of '98 forks that I purchased for my 2004 ST3, but I was ignorant of the fork length difference when I bought them... I'd love to gain the full adjustability, but not lose the stock bar height and corresponding height adjustment range.

I'm all ears if you want to trade!

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sperho said:
D_D-

That'd be me that PM'd you... Thanks for the detail.
Glad you saw the post. Sorry it took so long to finally get to taking the measurements. Life gets hectic at times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
sperho said:
I'm assuming you mean lowering the bars lower than the ~5/8" they are adjustable?

One way is to trade your forks for a set of '98 ST2 forks (fully adjustable, less the TiN) and put on an pre 2004 ST upper triple bracket and use your stock clipons. This would leave your adjustability intact but lower the adjustable range by about 1".

I have a pair of '98 forks that I purchased for my 2004 ST3, but I was ignorant of the fork length difference when I bought them... I'd love to gain the full adjustability, but not lose the stock bar height and corresponding height adjustment range.

I'm all ears if you want to trade!
I'm sorry for the misunderstand, its my english. Actually I meant lowering the levers, not the bars.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bodhi said:
I like that little message on the top of the tank.
I have it on my 748, also. It is a reminder for me to keep my head on straight when riding. I placed them on the bikes after breaking my right femur in three places in a bike accident back in 2000. They've worked well for me in the last 5+ years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm doing nearly the same mod to my '02 ST4s (thanks to the search function, I now see that my idea should actually work). I know most seem to want to bring their bars up and back, but my years of bicycle riding (countless 4-6hr rides on my tri/tt bike in full aero position on the elbow pads, or in the drops on my road bike) make me want to get down and forward. Sitting up seems so awkward and uncomfortable. Anyway, I bought a pair of the convertibar base adaptors and am waiting on delivery of a set of stock 749sb clipons purchased on one of the forums. Once I get things switched around I'll post pics and riding impressions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.