Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, anybody have experience doing this? I'm 5'8" and unfortunately on my toes when straddling the bike. I have to [email protected] it to plant 1 foot down firmly. I see adjustable coils in the back, similar to a coilover on my car.

Can I lower the bike a few inches so I can plant both feet down? Any downsides to do this i.e. affect handling? Do I need to adjust the dampner on the reservoir?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just thought I'd bump this thread because I now have the same question. Ironic that after almost 30k miles worth of riding I'm only now getting interested in properly setting up my suspension and making sure I'm at a comfy spot on my feet!

I always felt a little too high off the ground on my 800 SS (2003 as well) and after switching from the OEM to a Sargent seat I've found that I'm even a little higher now. Never had footing issues on another bike, but I feel like I need at least a half inch lower from where I am now on this one. Is there any way to lower a bike without changing it's handling too much, or is it only going to be a negative change? Where does one even start with this stuff..what are the options for "Lowering" the ride height a tiny bit?

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
I'm vertically challenged too, 29" Inseem . I can tell you what I've done to my 96 to lower seat height. I removed most of the preload from the rear shock, replaced my fork springs with single rate suited for my weight , and slid the tubes as high as they would go in the triples, and installed a Corbin seat. You may be able to use a rear shock from an older model which I understand are shorter than yours. Also, tires mount of a lower profile and don't go to larger sizes than stock. I also moved my low mounted oil cooler behind the fairing, changed the exhaust pipes and pegs, and modified the stand for ground clearance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a 99 900SS (same setup) and my dealer lowered the bike when I bought it (5'7" with 29" inseam). Did pretty much the same changes as duc96cr did. Later, I changed the set-up back to stock. I "believed" that the bike handled better after the change back. I just had to be careful at stops... And yes, after I raised it, I dropped it once due to my lack of stature!:mad:

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Think outside the square

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hey there, anybody have experience doing this? I'm 5'8" and unfortunately on my toes when straddling the bike. I have to [email protected] it to plant 1 foot down firmly. I see adjustable coils in the back, similar to a coilover on my car.

Can I lower the bike a few inches so I can plant both feet down? Any downsides to do this i.e. affect handling? Do I need to adjust the dampner on the reservoir?

Thanks
The older carbed 750 & 900SS's had a shorter rear shock... about 10mm I believe. I have the opposite problem, I'm 6'2"+ and have been considering raising the rear end to sharpen my turn-in by decreasing rake. I've poked around on eBay from time to time to see if a 900SSie or 800SS or 1000DS rear shock is on the market.

If you are going to drop the forks as far as you can in the triples, you'll want to do something to lower the rear at the same time or your geometry may change VERY significantly and the bike might be much twitchier and less stable than you want or are used to if you are talking inches of change.

I'd be wary of any changes that involve taking out all the preload... you still want to be in the sag sweet spot for best suspension performance. If you do take out preload consider reducing your air gap by adding oil to mitigate the risk of bottoming out.

Do you have properly rated springs installed? Stock springs are too soft in the front and too stiff in the back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts