Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After so many near drops on sand and loose gravel at stops, I decided to experiment and lowered my bike by putting these shorter tires on it ...
Avon Storm AV65 3D X-M Profile 120/60 Z Rim 17 55W (Stock 120/70)
Avon Storm AV66 3D X-M Profile 190/50 Z Rim 17 73W (Stock 190/55)

Even with tall heeled boots to make up for my 32" inseam and less leg strength now that I'm over 50, I was still bothered by near drops.

The bike now sits about 1/2" lower which give me more confidence when coming in for a landing. The handling feels to be maybe a tad slower than stock in mountain curves, but nothing that made me think, OMG, I ruined my bike! They are just tires after all. I can still hustle along pretty quick.

And the truth be told, I'm not going pro anytime soon at my age. In fact, I don't ride that much any more so this was more about making the bike right for me. Going with shorter tires than stock may not be right for you.

After a couple of hundred miles, I decided that I can live with these shorter tires, and cut down the side stand about 3/4". Keep that in mind if you try something like this or you will topple your bike over, or nearly so. Dumbass here can attest to that. No issues with the center stand.

Again, this isn't for everyone, but I figured I'd share the idea in case, like me, you were thinking about throwing the baby out with the bath water and buying a shorter, more manageable bike.

Ride safe all, Murph

·
Registered
131 Posts
There's an easier way to lower your bike if you have the S version.

if you go into the riding set-up menu (press/hold middle of left button), you can adjust the default suspension settings for urban, touring, sport and enduro modes. You can also dial in the suspension for solo rider, rider w/luggage, two riders and two riders w/luggage.

One of the adjustments you can make is lower the preload. I'm going from memory so my numbers may be off, but I think the default preload for solo touring was set to 16. I dialed it back to the lowest setting (I think 2). While I haven't taken any measurements, it feels like I'm considerably closer to the ground with the preload set low. Half inch sounds about right. I've ridden on all kinds of roads and never came close to bottoming out, scraping, or having any handling issue with the low preload.

I also lowered it on Enduro mode, but not as much. I've ridden off road with camping gear w/o issue.

If you haven't played around in this menu it's worth a look. My throttle is now set to roll-on like sport mode when it's in the more gentle touring mode.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I tried that a bunch of times over the years, but just couldn't get comfortable with the preload less than 6, which is still fairly tall. With the preload less than 6, the bike is too soft for me and I touch down when pushing it hard in curves.

Granted, I lose some clearance with the shorter tires, but the bike still feels solid and planted. Now I just put my boots back a bit more when pushing it.

But you bring up a good point in that there is a surprising amount of height adjustment in preload alone.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I’m always telling people who want a lower bike to try this. You just can’t get much lower with suspension adjustment alone without screwing up the handling. Then, if you still need more, thicker boots and thinner seat.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The real downside to this experiment is that it worked so well for me, I can no longer justify looking for that next last, last, honey-I-swear-this-is-the-last one bike. :)

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
The real downside to this experiment is that it worked so well for me, I can no longer justify looking for that next last, last, honey-I-swear-this-is-the-last one bike. :)
Nah, I'm 70 and just bought another (now 5) new bike - a V4S.

And we still run with the fast guys on the track. :laugh:

Reactions: DaveNZ

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Too funny. Hey, I hope all is well with you oleary. I still have that part you sent me! Blessings, Murph

·
Registered
895 Posts
Nah, I'm 70 and just bought another (now 5) new bike - a V4S.

And we still run with the fast guys on the track. :laugh:
I wish my knees and wrists would let me ride sports Duc like a 1299 or the 1100V4 but no!!. So i brought myself a MV Rivale 2016 yesterday to do the occasional track day. I just got back from a nice twisty back road ride on the MV, really fun bike, but she gets lively on the bumps, she's no multistrada. PS, i brought the MV for my 59th birthday.

Reactions: oleary

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Too funny. Hey, I hope all is well with you oleary. I still have that part you sent me! Blessings, Murph
Thanks, man!!

The cancer is spreading rapidly but we've got a few laps left before we go to the big racetrack in the sky. :abduct:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks, man!!

The cancer is spreading rapidly but we've got a few laps left before we go to the big racetrack in the sky. :abduct:
ARRRRR shit, sorry to hear that oleary, i just lost a great mate to the big C. 6 weeks after feeling unwell and a diagnosis, he lost his short battle. Great guy, and an extremely good fun rider to ride with, he loved his motards. Heres a pic of my little MV, I'm lovin this little bike, crazy fun to ride, and my first triple since the early 2000s on Triumphs.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
one question about lowering bike/rising forks in tripples.

is this on image attached, on fork, visible line.. represeting maximum safe limit? is safe to drive that low?

showa, ducati 996

https://ibb.co/CwNQsqb

thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts