1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
701 Posts
I’m experimenting with a set of lower pegs....just installed them and will be doing some rides this week as a test (325+ miles/day). They will limit ground clearance ALOT (I’m dragging my side stand and never run the center stand unless I’m touring), but for my long rides should help with my knees. I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My boots scrape the road with the stock pegs on a lot of corners. I wouldn't have pinky toes if I installed these.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I’m experimenting with a set of lower pegs....just installed them and will be doing some rides this week as a test (325+ miles/day). They will limit ground clearance ALOT (I’m dragging my side stand and never run the center stand unless I’m touring), but for my long rides should help with my knees. I’ll keep you posted.
@fipenna
I concur with 3B43 above. If anything, I would like to raise the pegs.
For more legroom however, I've raised the seat to its highest position.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@fipenna
I concur with 3B43 above. If anything, I would like to raise the pegs.
For more legroom however, I've raised the seat to its highest position.
Mine doesn't give me this option..... my seat has only one position. I'm 6.1" and I feel a bit cramped during a longer ride, have already changed the rubber insert for the rear ones (it improved), but would still like to reduce it by another 1/2 to 1".

Was never able to lean so much that my footpegs (or boots) would scratch the floor during a turn, so the limitation in this case is my skill not the footpeg height!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Let me expound....I’m on my 4th set of pegs! I’ve ground through 3 sets of Rizoma touring pegs....they ended up looking like a 2 pronged fork. My latest set, Ducabike, are approx .5” higher and I’ve touched them down several times, but the extra .5” helps. Now, the 1” lower pegs would be for ‘touring only’ I.e. bags & loaded, simply for comfort. My days On the bike are normally 400+ and after 7-10 day..... A higher seat is NOT an option because with a 32” inseam..... I’ll determine this week if they are indeed more comfortable after 6+ hours/350+ miles, but for summer time day trips, the Ducabikes are going back on.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
I gotta say I’m pretty impressed! Grinding 3 sets of foot pegs off . You Animal !

·
Registered
57 Posts
Everybody on an anonymous internet forum grinds off 3 sets of foot pegs.
He didn't say HOW he ground them down. What if his angle grinder got away from him? Or perhaps he left his grinder powered AND attached to the floor of his garage because he likes the noise it makes when he parks his bike on top of it. I don't know...I'm not a scientist.

·
Registered
280 Posts
No amount of savings in the world is enough to trust your life to cheap footpegs. I wouldn't fit those things to my ride if you gave them to me. I'm no aftermarket elitist, either; most of my bikes end up with a few aftermarket knock-offs, just not on parts that are critical to safe operation.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I rode my R1 for 4 hours missing a rearset after a tipover... while it wasn't enjoyable by any means, I wouldn't call footpegs "critical".

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No amount of savings in the world is enough to trust your life to cheap footpegs. I wouldn't fit those things to my ride if you gave them to me. I'm no aftermarket elitist, either; most of my bikes end up with a few aftermarket knock-offs, just not on parts that are critical to safe operation.
Thanks AXSP. On the “knock-off” topic, do you know what brand/model those were copied from? I looked for a more “traditional” solution but was unable to find.....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Foot pegs are absolutely critical safety items. Stand up on them and have one break off and you'll see. All this cnc crap has not been tested to destruction and certified. Lowered "foot boards" like the ones in the link, how will they react when touched down in a corner? Making your way home wit one broken off is irrelevant, it's about how they perform when needed. How will these behave when your leg is trapped under a fallen and sliding bike? This stuff is dangerous garbage

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
I rode my R1 for 4 hours missing a rearset after a tipover... while it wasn't enjoyable by any means, I wouldn't call footpegs "critical".
I agree 100% with Tamworth. They are very much so, especially if the breakage happens while riding; perhaps weighing the inside peg in a turn, for example (which I do out of habit) or simply standing up, since we're talking about Multis...
I dont even want to think about a peg giving way while I'm standing going 40 or 50mph!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Lol you guys must ride a lot different than me, if you're putting that much weight on a peg, wtf is your butt doing?

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Lol you guys must ride a lot different than me, if you're putting that much weight on a peg, wtf is your butt doing?
I learned that at the track years ago. You'll be surprised how much easier and precise your bike turns if you put pressure on your pegs when you turn, even without moving off the seat.
To do so you have to partially unweight your ass..
Try it out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts