Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright guy's. I just bought my new 2008 1098. I had a slip=on termi's ordered, but Ii am wondering if I should have went with a full system. Here is the thing though. I've had many bikes, and when I've put a full system on it has killed the lower to mid-range power. Will a full system do this to the duc also? The lower end power is what's so addictive on this bike. I would hate to kill it just for a few top-end ponies.

What have you guy's found out. Thanks again guy's for all the great info to.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
It is the natural effect of a larger diameter exhaust system to shift the torque peak upward in the RPM range so you should consider this when ordering one of the larger diameter systems.

Another side effect of reduced airflow restriction at either end, is leaned mixture. This will exacerbate the already-too-lean low RPM mixtures programmed into OEM fuel injection systems to meet EPA/emmissions issues. This will often be perceived as a loss of bottom end power. This effect should be ameliorated by modern closed-loop EFI systems, but as we see from newer Monsters, it often isn't sufficient.

My advise is to dyno-tune all modern EFI equiped motorcycles and remap as appropriate. The dyno-tuning will reveal the mixture program errors specific to your bike and its modifications and will correct them if the tuner knows his stuff. There is nothing more satisfying than riding a newly mapped motorcycle if it was operating with a sub-optimal program before.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
That's expected when you put a pipe on any bike without remapping it. All you need is a good map.

However, the Termignoni's come with a dp ecu that helps a lot with mapping and timing. Although good, it gets the bike to within the general range of where it should be. The Ecu is also going to WAKE UP the bike's power across the board, because it adds timing.

I would still advise getting a power commander USB to clean up the parts of the map that the ecu doesn't get.

Don't bother with the full system, it's not worth the extra money to get *maybe* 2-3 rwhp more on top. All you need now is...

Termignoni slip-ons/dp ecu/filter (sold as one kit)
R1 throttle tube ($13 cheap quick throttle mod)
Good oil, and a clean chain.

Later on, a power commander with a custom map to help clean up off idle power and richen/lean where necessary.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks guy's for the incite. My R1 was a carbed bike, and was a baaaaiiiiiiiitttttccccchhhh to tune. But I am really liking the EFI. Man it's addictive to just push the button and start her and go. I love the low end power on this bike.

So it sounds like I can go full system and and make sure the map is right at the dyno. Thats cool.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From mapping a bunch of 1098's my experience is that the slipon solution is just as good everywhere as the full system, both fully mapped of course.
Full system on a 1098 is great for looks, but does nothing to the power imho.
Cool, thanks. I'm glad I asked. Big difference in price. Now the question, termi's, akropovics, arrow, leo vinci, graves. I want something that's going to bring that ducati legendary sound out. I like the termi's, but the akropovics craftmanship is amazing. So what do you guy's think?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi how loud do you want the bike to be? Larry
Hey Larry, noised is really no issue. I want to bring out that legendary Ducati sound. I really like the Akrapovic carbon fiber slip ons. Have you heard anthing bad about them?

If you had $1400 to spend on an exhaust, what would you buy?

Thanks again guy's for all the help.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Hi, take a look at the Quat-D slip-on exhaust that MotoWheels has. A very
deep Ducati sound with these. I have heard these on 1098 and does have a very nice sound for 1098 Ducati. Larry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts